AU Defensive Line Depth

TigerWar

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Going to give you a youth pass on best line ever. The line that Tracy Rocker anchored was absolutely dominate. This current line is all about potential at the moment. Yds allowed passing 142 per game. Yds allowed rushing 57.9 per game

Agree 80. Those D-lines in the mid to late 80's were unreal. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TigerWar said:

Exactly. Linebackers, too.

Vipers, did you show up to remind everyone that Auburn football sucks and we should expect a 5-7 record?

To be fair the two most important positions in football, DL & QB. With the OL right there. AU is absolutely loaded at one and absolutely unloaded at one. 

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

To be fair the two most important positions in football, DL & QB. With the OL right there. AU is absolutely loaded at one and absolutely unloaded at one

When people make comments like that about our QBs it kind of makes me wish they would all just transfer and light it up at another school so that the fans who think so poorly of them can regret what we could have had.  Of course, if that happened, they would mostly just switch the story to Gus is a horrible QB coach.

What I really hope is one or more of them light it up for us this year, and hopefully those who "fans" have disparaged them all off-season will humbly apologize and think twice before trashing players in the future.

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

What I have seen from CRG's Dline's is over perusal.  It's like he teaches all 4 guys to rush the passer and they blow by the RB or they lose contain and QB runs by. It will be 3rd and short and instead of the guys playing run they lose contain trying to blow up an Olinemen.

Pointing out Garner's coaching flaws are not allowed on this forum.

He's a good recruiter and that's the bottom line cuz this board said so.

43 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Statistically, they will not compare with 88 or 04. The game is just too different. Nobody puts up stats like that!

True. But one stat 88 and 04 accomplished that can apply any season is ranking. Both were ranked #1 in the nation in Scoring Defense.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When people make comments like that about our QBs it kind of makes me wish they would all just transfer and light it up at another school so that the fans who think so poorly of them can regret what we could have had.

You mean like?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/kiehl-frazier-former-auburn-tigers-quarterback-ouachita-baptist-110514

But Kiehl Frazier has a good excuse: The former Auburn QB-turned-DB-turned-WR has been busy leading D-II Ouachita Baptist of Arkadelphia, Arkansas, to an 8-0 record -- the best start the school has had in 100 years.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When people make comments like that about our QBs it kind of makes me wish they would all just transfer and light it up at another school so that the fans who think so poorly of them can regret what we could have had.  Of course, if that happened, they would mostly just switch the story to Gus is a horrible QB coach.

What I really hope is one or more of them light it up for us this year, and hopefully those who "fans" have disparaged them all off-season will humbly apologize and think twice before trashing players in the future.

Nobody has trashed SW. Good grief.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nobody has trashed SW. Good grief.

Actually, Jeffrey, WDE just trashed ALL THREE of our QBs. When are you going to figure out that I'm not some sort of Sean homer, I'm trying to defend all of our QBs when they are put down without actual facts to back the negativity.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Actually, Jeffrey, WDE just trashed ALL THREE of our QBs. When are you going to figure out that I'm not some sort of Sean homer, I'm trying to defend all of our QBs when they are put down without actual facts to back the negativity.

My bad. Given the discussions of  the past couple days, I assumed you were talking about SW.  I don't think WDE has trashed all three QBS though..

I hope SW, JF3 or JJ light it up this year.  But right now QB is the weakest position on the AU team.

Hope SW or JF3 would be one of types like Bo who just ball out in games. My hope is that JF3 turn out to be this. 

Not really trashing SW. I guess I worded my post wrong. The QB position is the weakest part of the AU team. I'm hoping one steps up and proves me wrong. 

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

You mean like?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/kiehl-frazier-former-auburn-tigers-quarterback-ouachita-baptist-110514

But Kiehl Frazier has a good excuse: The former Auburn QB-turned-DB-turned-WR has been busy leading D-II Ouachita Baptist of Arkadelphia, Arkansas, to an 8-0 record -- the best start the school has had in 100 years.

Frazier got thrown in the fire way too early. LSU destroyed him. He was ruined after that game. 

1 hour ago, api1957 said:

Looks promising. But it always looks promising. I'm tired of potential. I want production. 

You and me both..you and me both. I miss the Auburn Defense glory days. My favorite game was the AU-UF game of 2006. Our defense was lighting people up. The loudest game I've ever been to. 

You think QB is the weakest spot on the team? I think that's easily TE or Punter unless something has changed at Punter. We were bad there last year, and we don't have TEs that have ever played.

All that aside, this defensive line is more than potential. It has guys that have produced but struggled to put it all together based on injury, inconsistency (which isn't the same thing as a lack of productivity), or inexperience. If you look at Lawrence's development curve, he looks a lot like Nick Fairley. Out of shape when he arrived. Showed flashes but wildly inconsistent. Peaked at the end of his Junior season with a dominant performance. Now we'll see if he can finish the story. Carl's a great football player that only needs to stay on the field. Monty Adams has done it, but he's been inconsistent in technique and effort for three years. No doubt he can do it though.

From those three alone, that's not potential. They've produced and impacted games. The only question is whether Lawrence now has enough experience, whether Lawson can stay healthy, and whether Adams has learned to put out effort every down. I don't think of those as "potential/production" questions. It's whether they have become complete players.

Outside of those guys, there are a lot of potential/production questions:  Marlon Davidson has never done it; Byron Cowart has never done it; Derrick Brown has never done it; Jeff Holland has never really done it; Paul James III has never really done it.

I have no doubts on what Russell gives me. He was consistent last year. Normal development makes him slightly better with more depth to spell him. That guy is going to be very good. Swain seems like he's a known quantity as well. Not a starter but a very good backup. He's a Mike Blanc or Jake Ricks. You can win a lot of games with guys like that.

DL is going to be very good this year. The only question I have is whether they'll be able to dominate games and do it consistently, quarter-to-quarter and week-to-week. Lots of good DL groups lose focus and let teams off the mat. That's the best thing Saban has been able to do with his defense is maintain their intensity and focus intra-game.

It seems like every year we hear how great and wonderful our DL is going to be, then come game time they pull a disappearing act.  With that in mind, I can't help but be skeptical.  

24 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Frazier got thrown in the fire way too early. LSU destroyed him. He was ruined after that game. 

This. I think too many players (and their family) want to play their first year even if it would benefit them to redshirt. 

3 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I was born in 91 so I didn't get to see that dline play in person. My dad has shown me videos of Tracy Rocker playing though, and I have met TR quite a few times.

Tracy, and frankly even his "little" brother David....they were men amongst boys.  AU's late 80's D-Lines looked big even by TODAY's standards..

37 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You could say the same for SW. The dude was literally sun tanning on the sideline as even Vegas was thinking JJ had a shot at the Heisman. He wasn't thinking he had a chance to play more than clean-up for 2 years until JJ graduated. But then boom, JJ went full crazy. 

We cant judge the QBs on a freshman(rs*) performance that they were not prepared for. What % of QBs have you seen come in as 2nd string unknowingly and just light up the scoreboard. There aren't many. The offense was not groomed for him and they dont have the experience. Gus didnt trust him and our offense went stagnant. 

I guarantee you a healthy SW improves there is no way he digresses. We had these same conversations about Jason many years ago and then one year the lights came on. These QBs are like wines, they need a little aging. 

18 minutes ago, FistyMcBeefpunch said:

remember that time we were talking about the D line?

Right. No reason for the qb situation to be drawn into this discussion. It doesn't seem to matter the subject it seems one or more posters have to epeen.

So now we should move on to how we lost Craig and LSU thought he was a good WR coach and now we have Burns. I wonder how our WR's basketball skills are? To bad their not as fast as Usain Bolt. 

16 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

So now we should move on to how we lost Craig and LSU thought he was a good WR coach and now we have Burns. I wonder how our WR's basketball skills are? To bad their not as fast as Usain Bolt. 

I see what cha did there...

Archived