How bout them receivers...

JGLEATON

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing J. Smith, Marcus Davis, Ryan Smith and NCM will get a ton of first team reps. 

Tony Stephens, Darius Slayton, Hastings, and the rest of the stud freshmen with noticeable contributions as well. 

Well...it's nice to have so many new guys with support from the board.....and there are some pretty good returnees too.    

Generally we have about 3 or 4 at most ....and couple have problems running routes or staying out of trouble.     JMO but there will be fewer alibis for the QBs this year if the TD totals are single digit.

5 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

I have a feeling Eli Stove will be the biggest contributor of all the freshman.

That's what I'm reading as well.They say Stove has been looking good in fall camp.

It will be interesting to see if the WR play is any different with CKB vs CDC but if they do focus on their ability to hang onto the ball, it is a tremendous group in name (if young).  My gut tells me Marcus Davis will be the leader..the steady hand..the clutch catch to keep the chains moving...but I think this is the year of Jason Smith. I feel like he's the next HR threat.

Excited to see the freshmen though.

It would be tremendous to see this group make their QB look good, regardless of who that is.

War Eagle!

Man if Stove and a couple of new kids can really step up... I think Marcus Davis and Jason Smith will have a great year.

Man we a have a LOT of young talent at the receiving position.

20 minutes ago, KerryThachWDE said:

You would think so, but I'm thinking NCM being bigger bodied will serve as a flanker.  Plus I read that he can block pretty well.

11 minutes ago, 75 Walk On said:

Nate Craig Myers  looks like a game breaker after the catch....he and Stove can be difference makers if they can block!

Watched Stove play at Niceville last year.  He is a good blocker,,,,for a receiver.

NCM....and a lot of other ones if SW or JJ wins the QB job.     :) 

:poke:

Seriously though, I haven't this amped about a group of WR's since the early 2000's. 

Don't forget about Tony Stevens.  If he can be more consistent and have catches like he did in the Ole Miss game, he could be like Darvin Adams was in 2010.  

1 hour ago, KerryThachWDE said:

Eli was a stud in High school. I believe he will be a big help this year.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

You would think so, but I'm thinking NCM being bigger bodied will serve as a flanker.  Plus I read that he can block pretty well.

I hear the same thing and he can really move with the ball.

I just really like this team assuming the chemistry is as good as what I hear.  But my gut says we will get much better as the season goes on and our depth on defense will give us second half edge,,,,, but can we start day one and be effective is yet to be seen.

tough schedule and just what I like?. Most of our games will be fun to watch, competitive and mean something.  Hopefully we all can stop worrying and enjoy watching young men who I believe will leave it out on the field.

I badly want ncm to be one of our go-to playmakers like i wanted roc thomas to be. He's still a freshman so i will keep my expectations low since you can't bank on freshmen. It would be awesome for truitt to finally have that breakout year. At the end of the day i have my preferred players but it's all about getting the right group of players in a lineup with the highest ceiling for us.

Watch for Will Hastings, probably won't start but will come in at some point and probably get the bubble screen when it is not expected.  Will become the guy nobody is talking about now but will be by mid-October.

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

Watch for Will Hastings, probably won't start but will come in at some point and probably get the bubble screen when it is not expected.  Will become the guy nobody is talking about now but will be by mid-October.

I mentioned him earlier in the thread. I think he will be solid for us.

I think when its all said and done the 4th freshman. The one no one has mentioned, Marquis McClain will have the best career. Something about him just screams Sammie Coates or Tim Carter. 

NCM is the one I was most excited about. He can be a real game changer after the catch, which anyone who knows anything about WRs knows YAC is HUGE for a WR. He reminds me a LOT of Montez Billings and Terrell Zachary mixed with Courtney Taylor.

I also am of the thinking (assuming we have a QB that can get it there,) that this will be a coming out year for Jason Smith as a deep threat.

Slayton could also slide in and snatch the deep threat spot. He is a player. I know its early, and I'll probably catch flack for this, but I see him being Duke 2.0 (without the issues.) Maybe not this season, but he will NOT be outplayed by these freshmen.

I really like Marcus Davis. Ever since that game saving catch his 1st season, however he hasn't really done much. I expected big things out of him the last 3 seasons. He just hasn't done it. I'll withhold my assumption he is gonna be great. Hate to say it, but I feel the exact same way about Tony Stevens.

I feel like Marcus Davis will end up with the most receptions (especially if Sean starts). 

Im excited to see NCM, I'm sure Gus has a plan to get him the ball early on. Hopefully the results allow him to stay on the field 

Archived