How bout them receivers...

JGLEATON

6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think when its all said and done the 4th freshman. The one no one has mentioned, Marquis McClain will have the best career. Something about him just screams Sammie Coates or Tim Carter. 

NCM is the one I was most excited about. He can be a real game changer after the catch, which anyone who knows anything about WRs knows YAC is HUGE for a WR. He reminds me a LOT of Montez Billings and Terrell Zachary mixed with Courtney Taylor.

I also am of the thinking (assuming we have a QB that can get it there,) that this will be a coming out year for Jason Smith as a deep threat.

Slayton could also slide in and snatch the deep threat spot. He is a player. I know its early, and I'll probably catch flack for this, but I see him being Duke 2.0 (without the issues.) Maybe not this season, but he will NOT be outplayed by these freshmen.

I really like Marcus Davis. Ever since that game saving catch his 1st season, however he hasn't really done much. I expected big things out of him the last 3 seasons. He just hasn't done it. I'll withhold my assumption he is gonna be great. Hate to say it, but I feel the exact same way about Tony Stevens.

Wow, now I'm really getting fired up.  Now I'm hoping we all start seeing just another reason for optimism ??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know who is the fastest receiver (i.e. who will take Coates' roll and take the top off the defense)?  Slayton was listed as a 4.4 and Truitt was a track stud but seems a little short.  Any ideas from legit sources or links?

14 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Anyone know who is the fastest receiver (i.e. who will take Coates' roll and take the top off the defense)?  Slayton was listed as a 4.4 and Truitt was a track stud but seems a little short.  Any ideas from legit sources or links?

According to this link, which showed a Ryan Davis tweet that says all of Auburns WRs ran 4.4 and under. This article also shows JF3 laser time of 4.28. Anyway I am on mobile. Dont know how else best to post the link but like this...

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2016/4/28/11533370/auburn-football-players-run-the-40-yard-dash

I can't wait for the incoming freshmen to be in Gus's system for a couple years, provided he's still around.  I think this is potentially the most talented group of receivers we've had in a while.  I just hope we'll have a qb that can get it to them reliably.

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

According to this link, which showed a Ryan Davis tweet that says all of Auburns WRs ran 4.4 and under. This article also shows JF3 laser time of 4.28. Anyway I am on mobile. Dont know how else best to post the link but like this...

http://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2016/4/28/11533370/auburn-football-players-run-the-40-yard-dash

You don't believe this do you? I'd say that JF3 is a 4.41 or even a 4.39. No one on AU's team run anywhere near a 4.28. 

The young, healthy WR's are all doing very well I'm told. Stove, Craig and McClain should all play this year. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You don't believe this do you? I'd say that JF3 is a 4.41 or even a 4.39. No one on AU's team run anywhere near a 4.28. 

The young, healthy WR's are all doing very well I'm told. Stove, Craig and McClain should all play this year. 

WDE I am told the same about young wr especially Stove and NCM. Davis should make some noise also now that he is getting healthy and able to practice.  Also I'm with you nobody on the team can run a true 4.28. 

Also I saw somewhere someone mention that Tony Steven's could maybe be close to what Darvin Adams was for us in 2010. No I don't believe he is anywhere close to being capable of having that type of season. Maybe he proves me wrong but he has been a big Dissapointment for me. Darvin Adams ran precise routes and had very good hands. Tony Steven's has neither of those. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Jf3 could probably run quite a fast 40 time. He was a world class, national champion sprinter at FSU wasn't he? Of course he didn't "run the 40" for their track team but it's the same concept (seen by all of these 200m sprinters being able to kill it in the 100 as well). I doubt anyone on our team runs the equivalence of a 4.2 in football speed (with pads and all that). 

Just saying, if any of these crazy 40 speeds we've ever seen posted by the team are actually true, it's John's. 

42 minutes ago, tigerwings said:

You must be channeling your inner Ricardo Louis.

Good example:

Louis' four-year contract is projected to be worth $2.91 million with a more than $567,000 signing bonus, according to OverTheCap.com.

Good for Ricardo! I hope his play earns him a bigger contract in 4 years. I am excited to see how he does with NFL WR coaching. He has a ton of raw ability

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I guarantee you just pissed somebody off. There are people who believe the impossible when it comes to 40 times for our players. There is fast then there is fiction. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Good for Ricardo! I hope his play earns him a bigger contract in 4 years. I am excited to see how he does with NFL WR coaching. He has a ton of raw ability

Same here. Big fan. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

We haven't had a receiver in a while that had "good hands"

What I wouldn't give for Darvin Adams... nothing special... couldn't even make an NFL roster... but dang could you count on him to get open and catch the ball.

Sammy had pretty decent hands, and based on pre-season reports, he definitely didn't hit his ceiling in college.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

What I wouldn't give for Darvin Adams... nothing special... couldn't even make an NFL roster... but dang could you count on him to get open and catch the ball.

Sammy had pretty decent hands, and based on pre-season reports, he definitely didn't hit his ceiling in college.

Steelers seem pretty high on him....could be a factor for them this year.

10 hours ago, Charhair said:

Jf3 could probably run quite a fast 40 time. He was a world class, national champion sprinter at FSU wasn't he? Of course he didn't "run the 40" for their track team but it's the same concept (seen by all of these 200m sprinters being able to kill it in the 100 as well). I doubt anyone on our team runs the equivalence of a 4.2 in football speed (with pads and all that). 

Just saying, if any of these crazy 40 speeds we've ever seen posted by the team are actually true, it's John's. 

40 times are not run in pads

14 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I dont know if I believe it or not. I am on the west coast and all I can go by is what I read. 

Someone asked for the speed of the WRs with a link and I provided one that I had seen.

Nevertheles WDE!

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I dont know if I believe it or not. I am on the west coast and all I can go by is what I read. 

Someone asked for the speed of the WRs with a link and I provided one that I had seen.

Nevertheles WDE!

Well, you know....  Nothing is official until this forum has 50+ pages of wailing, moaning and great gnashing of teeth. :boxing:

I see the days of Obomanu and the entire fleet of great receivers we have had over the past 2o years coming back in the forms of all of the young studs we have!

Man someone posted a video in the QB thread. It shows Eli Stove making a Duke type catch

amazing. If all these new guys can make catches ½ this good, we will see some exciting stuff over the next few years!

I thought Duke had good hands and Sammy  had stone hands. 

I'm tempering my optimism until I see our freshman receivers play, if only for the reason that I had optimism off the charts for JJ and Roc.

Archived