2016 AP Preseason Poll is out

RunInRed

I do not see Ole Miss winning more than 8 games. Georgia will not win more than 8 games. LSU will not win more than 10 games. UT will win 10-11 games. UF will win 10 games. TAMU will not win more than 8 games. Turds will go 10-2 and will not make the championship game. After this, things get a little fuzzy tonight for me. MSU will win 7 games. Porkers will win 8 games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Wow 3 voters at #11! Thats incredible!

No. 3 voters ranked us in the Top 25. Vingle ranked us #11.

So of the 22 votes we received, Vingle was responsible for 15 of them.

7 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

No. 3 voters ranked us in the Top 25. Vingle ranked us #11.

So of the 22 votes we received, Vingle was responsible for 15 of them.

The James Crepea (or however you spell his name) tweet that was posted says 3 of the 61 AP voters voted Auburn at 11

Thats why I said what I said. If I am misunderstanding that tweet, I apologize

Biggest thing that stands out to me about the teams in the top 10 are the fact that many have question marks at the QB position. Big question marks that can really shake things up. I only see about 2 or 3 of those teams with defenses that can possibly carry them throughout the season and where they'd likely be fine if their QBs can just manage the game for them. Bama & Michigan are the first to come to mind. FSU should have a good defense as well but i'm not sure if it will be enough against Clemson. FSU is too high IMO. So is LSU and OU often craps the bed against a team they shouldn't lose to. Going to be an interesting season b/c as stated before a lot of teams are breaking in new QBs.

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I do not see Ole Miss winning more than 8 games. Georgia will not win more than 8 games. LSU will not win more than 10 games. UT will win 10-11 games. UF will win 10 games. TAMU will not win more than 8 games. Turds will go 10-2 and will not make the championship game. After this, things get a little fuzzy tonight for me. MSU will win 7 games. Porkers will win 8 games.

UT better beat FL before i believe the hype. They have not won many big games and until they do...i'm not buying it. I still think Ole Miss wins a lot of games. Kelly alone counts for several wins. They're not the bottom feeder any longer and are bringing in some good talent.

I see Ole Miss having a big drop off.  But to everyone else's point, none of these polls matter.  Today is actually the first day I even bothered to look at a poll.  These polls will dramatically change on September 4th.  This is also worth noting this is exactly the same position (I believe down to the number) Auburn was in, in August of 2013...

12 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

I figured Tennessee to be a good team and win the East, just didn't see them starting at #11 in the poles.

And doesn't Georgia start with a ranked North Carolina?  Could make Kirby Smart's first game not so well - wouldn't hurt my feelings if Chizik's defense put a hurt on the dawgs.

Only SEC team I want to win on the 3rd is AU. The hell with the rest 

Week 1 top 25 games. Gonna be a lot of movement in first week.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 1

CHAR
(0-0)
7:00p ET
ACCN

19 LOU
(0-0)

APP
(0-0)
7:30p ET
SECN

9 TENN
(0-0)
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2

FURMAN
(0-0)
7:00p ET
BTN

12 MSU
(0-0)

NWST
(0-0)
FSN

23 BAYLOR
(0-0)

K-STATE
(0-0)
9:00p ET
FS1

8 STAN
(0-0)
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 3

3 OU
(0-0)
12:00p ET
ABC

15 HOU
(0-0)

BGSU
(0-0)
BTN

6 OSU
(0-0)

HAW
(0-0)
ESPN

7 MICH
(0-0)

RUTG
(0-0)
2:00p ET
PACN

14 WASH
(0-0)

5 LSU
(0-0)
3:30p ET
ABC

WIS
(0-0)

16 UCLA
(0-0)
CBS

TXA&M
(0-0)

MIA-OH
(0-0)
ESPU

17 IOWA
(0-0)

SELOU
(0-0)
FSN

21 OKST
(0-0)

UCD
(0-0)
5:00p ET
PACN

24 ORE
(0-0)

18 UGA
(0-0)
5:30p ET
ESPN

22 UNC
(0-0)

UMASS
(0-0)
SECN

25 FLA
(0-0)

20 USC
(0-0)
8:00p ET
ABC

1 ALA
(0-0)

SDAKST
(0-0)
FSN

13 TCU
(0-0)

2 CLEM
(0-0)
9:00p ET
ESPN

AUB
(0-0)
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 4

10 ND
(0-0)
ABC

TEXAS
(0-0)
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5

11 MISS
(0-0)
ESPN

4 FSU
(0-0)

What did the AP preseaon polls look like this time last year and where did those top 25 teams end up at the end of the season?

10 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

The James Crepea (or however you spell his name) tweet that was posted says 3 of the 61 AP voters voted Auburn at 11

Thats why I said what I said. If I am misunderstanding that tweet, I apologize

The tweet statements appear to run together, but there's a period in between the two statements.

3 of 61 AP voters ranked Auburn.

No. 11 ranking by @MitchVingle  is biggest margin between individual's vote & actual rank in entire AP poll.

2015 AP Poll

Preseason AP Poll
Ranking Team
1 Ohio State
2 TCU
3 Alabama
4 Baylor
5 Michigan State
6 Auburn
7 Oregon
8 USC
9 Georgia
10 Florida State
11 Notre Dame
12 Clemson
13 UCLA
14 LSU
15 Arizona State
16 Georgia Tech
17 Mississippi
18 Arkansas
19 Oklahoma
20 Wisconsin
21 Stanford
22 Arizona
23 Boise State
24 Missouri
25 Tennessee

Here is a complete look at the final AP Top 25:

Rank Team Record Points
1 Alabama 14-1 1,525
2 Clemson 14-1 1,464
3 Stanford 12-2 1,360
4 Ohio State 12-1 1,342
5 Oklahoma 11-2 1,270
6 Michigan State 12-2 1,227
7 TCU 11-2 1,098
8 Houston 13-1 1,050
9 Iowa 12-2 981
10 Mississippi 10-3 975
11 Notre Dame 10-3 953
12 Michigan 10-3 911
13 Baylor 10-3 820
14 Florida State 10-3 630
15 North Carolina 11-3 563
16 LSU 9-3 546
17 Utah 10-3 499
18 Navy 11-2 465
19 Oregon 9-4 391
20 Oklahoma State 10-3 372
21 Wisconsin 10-3 332
22 Tennessee 9-4 260
23 Northwestern 10-3 203
24 Western Kentucky 12-2 128
25 Florida 10-4 126

1 hour ago, keesler said:

What did the AP preseaon polls look like this time last year and where did those top 25 teams end up at the end of the season?

I think #6 stumbled?

Ohio State had 12 players selected in the first four rounds of the NFL Draft, the most by a single school in the modern era (since 1967) and they are in the top 10? They must be stockpiled with talent. 

23 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

How is Washington a top 15 team after going 7-6?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/4yydw9/why_is_washington_so_high_in_the_ap_poll/

The comments in this thread gives a pretty good breakdown of why they are.

On August 21, 2016 at 10:41 AM, The Plainsman said:

3 of top 5..

4 of top 11..

5 of top 18..

The path is set

Yep!  If we keep winning we'll be at the top, no doubt about it.  That schedule is ridiculous!  Almost half of our games are against the top 18 in the country.

Exactly 1/3 of our games are against the top 11!

The good thing is that these days early in the season teams can jump like crazy after a big win. Seems like just a few years ago in a scenario where an unranked AU beats #2 Clemson we would start at the bottom of the top 25. Now with the playoff committee in place, these voters try to reflect what they think the CFP would do and if we beat Clemson we could shoot up in to the top 15 or so.

10 hours ago, Tiger said:

The good thing is that these days early in the season teams can jump like crazy after a big win. Seems like just a few years ago in a scenario where an unranked AU beats #2 Clemson we would start at the bottom of the top 25. Now with the playoff committee in place, these voters try to reflect what they think the CFP would do and if we beat Clemson we could shoot up in to the top 15 or so.

With the schedule we have I expect we will have to win a couple big early season games before we see a move.

Considering how we are ranked, a win over Clemson won't do too much for us.....probably just out of the top 25 though even after week one, some rated teams will be opening up 0-1.   Probably need to beat Clemson and TAMU to make any kind of serious move but voters will still be waiting on the LSU game.

These polls count for nothing but by the time the official polls are out, we have a chance to be well into the second 10   JMO

don,t blow it Gus with stupid play calling or misuse of talent. This is our chance otherwise load up the BMW.

a National Championship game at home to start the season.

We believe you are a better coach that dabo "i am a bammer" so go out and prove it.

The leash with JJ maybe long but with the fans its about one week

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

With the schedule we have I expect we will have to win a couple big early season games before we see a move.

Considering how we are ranked, a win over Clemson won't do too much for us.....probably just out of the top 25 though even after week one, some rated teams will be opening up 0-1.   Probably need to beat Clemson and TAMU to make any kind of serious move but voters will still be waiting on the LSU game.

These polls count for nothing but by the time the official polls are out, we have a chance to be well into the second 10   JMO

I actually disagree with the bolded part. In 2014, to start the season Texas A&M was ranked 21 and clobbered #9 South Carolina. Following the win, TAMU jumped all the way up to #9. That is the type of jump I could see us making if we pull off the upset. I could see us jumping up to around #15 or so as Clemson has a lot of respect in their corner right now.

As far as your last sentence, I agree with you 100%. These other polls are essentially just sports talk radio topics.

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Totally disagree. Beating last year's national title contender is nothing to sneeze about especially when they have the heisman favorite. The polls would definitely include Auburn if Auburn beats Clemson.

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually disagree with the bolded part. In 2014, to start the season Texas A&M was ranked 21 and clobbered #9 South Carolina. Following the win, TAMU jumped all the way up to #9. That is the type of jump I could see us making if we pull off the upset. I could see us jumping up to around #15 or so as Clemson has a lot of respect in their corner right now.

As far as your last sentence, I agree with you 100%. These other polls are essentially just sports talk radio topics.

Not disagreeing with your points but just wanted to mention...

Keep in mind that TAMU was a media "darling" following the rise of JFF the previous two years.  The media WANTED them to be good.  However, remember what happened to them after that game.  They weren't....  They were just an example of the overhype machine that is the national media (led by BSPN).

Same goes for Clemson right now.   They are a national media darling coming into this year.  They love Watson, Dabo and the fact that they DIDN'T beat BSPN's beloved Tyde but DID give them a run so they are propping them up coming into the season.  I'm not saying the "Clemson love" isn't garnered...we won't know until we're well into the season...but still, you get my point.

Now..flip-side.  Auburn.  Plenty of evidence over the years/decades that shows AU will have to EARN their rankings as the year goes.  I don't think any of the yearly stories need to be rehashed here but two that stand out, for sure, 1983 & 2004...  Plus it's a common thread on this board that there's only 1 team in the SEC that the media would put into the playoffs with 2 losses or if there was another SEC team already in the playoffs...and that team ain't Auburn.

So, we shall see what happens should our beloved Tigers beat those silly Tiger knock-offs but personally, I won't be surprised if AU barely cracks the top 25 if it's a close victory.  If it's a CONVINCING victory? ....then that might be another story!

War Eagle!

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not disagreeing with your points but just wanted to mention...

Keep in mind that TAMU was a media "darling" following the rise of JFF the previous two years.  The media WANTED them to be good.  However, remember what happened to them after that game.  They weren't....  They were just an example of the overhype machine that is the national media (led by BSPN).

Same goes for Clemson right now.   They are a national media darling coming into this year.  They love Watson, Dabo and the fact that they DIDN'T beat BSPN's beloved Tyde but DID give them a run so they are propping them up coming into the season.  I'm not saying the "Clemson love" isn't garnered...we won't know until we're well into the season...but still, you get my point.

Now..flip-side.  Auburn.  Plenty of evidence over the years/decades that shows AU will have to EARN their rankings as the year goes.  I don't think any of the yearly stories need to be rehashed here but two that stand out, for sure, 1983 & 2004...  Plus it's a common thread on this board that there's only 1 team in the SEC that the media would put into the playoffs with 2 losses or if there was another SEC team already in the playoffs...and that team ain't Auburn.

So, we shall see what happens should our beloved Tigers beat those silly Tiger knock-offs but personally, I won't be surprised if AU barely cracks the top 25 if it's a close victory.  If it's a CONVINCING victory? ....then that might be another story!

War Eagle!

You know, I don't fully disagree you. TAMU was the darling and the media latched on to Kenny Trill immediately (for about 5 minutes) and overhyped them. 

But even with history being against AU when it comes to the polls, Gus has/had reversed that (for a little bit at least). We should not have been ranked so high to start 2015. Prior to this past season the media loooved Gus. CGM, and his offensive accumen, was the main reason we were ranked so high to start last year. Gus being viewed as a favorable in the eyes of the media (compare to how ESPN treated Tubs after he railed on them for being biased towards certain conferences) was also the reason we were still ranked at the end of 2014 -- we were the only 5 loss team in the top 25. But either way, I'd be ecstatic whether or not we jump into the rankings at all after week one because it would mean we are 1-0! All this is jmo obviously

Archived