2016 AP Preseason Poll is out

RunInRed

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

You know, I don't fully disagree you. TAMU was the darling and the media latched on to Kenny Trill immediately (for about 5 minutes) and overhyped them. 

But even with history being against AU when it comes to the polls, Gus has/had reversed that (for a little bit at least). We should not have been ranked so high to start 2015. Prior to this past season the media loooved Gus. CGM, and his offensive accumen, was the main reason we were ranked so high to start last year. Gus being viewed as a favorable in the eyes of the media (compare to how ESPN treated Tubs after he railed on them for being biased towards certain conferences) was also the reason we were still ranked at the end of 2014 -- we were the only 5 loss team in the top 25. But either way, I'd be ecstatic whether or not we jump into the rankings at all after week one because it would mean we are 1-0! All this is jmo obviously

I agree with everything you just said.  No arguments here!

The only "counter"...and I don't mean this as disagreement...only conversation... is that perhaps, for this year only, Gus became a bit of a national laughing stock for helping perpetuate the myth that was JJ for Heisman, along with calling CWM the best DC in (ALL) of Football, and then did nothing to quell the continued over-hyping being done as we headed for the 2015 season.  Then reality hit, the smart*** reporting began (again led happily by BSPN), and...here we are.  My guess is that the national media (aka: poll voters) are going to take a "show me" attitude on AU this year...until they do prove them wrong, yet again.

The good news is, as long as a stable QB can be found to run whatever offense Gus decides to run, I think that this team has all of the makings of a solid, if not really good, football team.  I'm starting to get that all too familiar feeling that "we" as Auburn fans get when our Tigers are forgotten and disrespected......

That feeling of "We've got them right where we want them"!!

War Eagle!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree with everything you just said.  No arguments here!

The only "counter"...and I don't mean this as disagreement...only conversation... is that perhaps, for this year only, Gus became a bit of a national laughing stock for helping perpetuate the myth that was JJ for Heisman, along with calling CWM the best DC in (ALL) of Football, and then did nothing to quell the continued over-hyping being done as we headed for the 2015 season.  Then reality hit, the smart*** reporting began (again led happily by BSPN), and...here we are.  My guess is that the national media (aka: poll voters) are going to take a "show me" attitude on AU this year...until they do prove them wrong, yet again.

The good news is, as long as a stable QB can be found to run whatever offense Gus decides to run, I think that this team has all of the makings of a solid, if not really good, football team.  I'm starting to get that all too familiar feeling that "we" as Auburn fans get when our Tigers are forgotten and disrespected......

That feeling of "We've got them right where we want them"!!

War Eagle!

Your points make sense and I can definitely see how the media would be cautious with us to start after last year. I like your feeling though and I'm hoping we come out on fire proving everyone wrong!

Keep in mind that TAMU destroyed the 'cocks on their home field....not thinking that AU could rack up that kind of win.....just hoping we can scrape by which most people posting here lately do not expect to happen.    

Just noting that lots of pollsters might like to see AU prove that the team consistently better than the pre-season expectations.   There are a few serious games right away on the schedule.  If it were, I would not jump any team up very much based on one unexpected win early in the season...especially if they have a schedule like ours.

I'm fine to wait until after TAMU or LSU to draw conclusions about how the team will do over the long haul.

Meanwhile, I'm still in the camp that says AU is going to win the Clemson game.

Just now, Tiger said:

Your points make sense and I can definitely see how the media would be cautious with us to start after last year. I like your feeling though and I'm hoping we come out on fire proving everyone wrong!

:cheers: :wedance:

Preseason rankings...

2010 - 30th....result - Won NC

2013 - 42nd...result - In NC

2016 - 33rd...?

Moral of the story - It's better to hit 'em from below.

Archived