DB depth

6    Carlton Davis    6-1   195           8   Marlon Character Jr.   6-0  181     11    Markell Boston    6-0    200   
12    Jamel Dean      6-2    209   
13    T.J. Davis      6-0    190   
14    Stephen Roberts    5-11    183    
15    Joshua Holsey    5-11    195    
18    Jayvaughn Myers   6-1    179 
19    Nick Ruffin    6-0    203 
20    Jeremiah Dinson  6-0    177 
22    John Broussard Jr.  5-11  168
23    Johnathan Ford   6-0    204 
24    Daniel Thomas   5-11    192 
25    Austin Dupper   5-9    176 
26    Marshall Taylor   6-3    191
28    Tray Matthews   6-1    207
31    Javaris Davis   5-10    182
36    Michael Sherwood   5-9    175   

Looking at our depth, reports are that Roberts has been 3rd or 4th man at CB as well as playing mostly 1st with safety's. It looks clear the Davis boys gonna man the outside and maybe Ruffin and Roberts at Saftey with Mathews 3rd Safety and Ford at Nickel. Who is our 3rd CB ? Roberts? Or will Taylor now assume that role? Can Dinson play soon? He looked like a guy who can really play. We have some good depth, is TJ and Dean our only guys who will not play this season? 

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Holsey Taylor Broussard

Exactly my thoughts!

IF Holsey can stay healthy he is a very capable CB.  I believe he will be our #3 CB out of the gate.

I had heard good things about Broussard earlier, but nothing since Fall Camp started.  He's a youngin, but I expect good things from him.  

I would have felt more comfortable about Taylor if he hadn't missed Fall Camp. I don't think he'll be ready to go for Clemson, but he should be a major contributor soon.

I'm not really buying the hype on Taylor. He was at a mid-major and if he was truly a force he would have gone pro upon graduating. If he's anything close to Countess (who was solid) we should be happy. But I think he was brought in to add depth and fight for a rotational spot. JMO of course.

8 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

He was brought in to battle Dean for the Other CB spot. I think Javarious was planed to back up Carlton. 

Gotcha. I'm still tempering my expectations. As I said if he showed big time ability he would have thrown his name in the draft and not have had to prove himself in a bigger league.

If Taylor can give us what Countess did last year, I'll take that in a heartbeat.

For whatever reason, I expect Holsey to start against Clemson. In the end, I just think the coaches are going to want a security blanket out there, and he's the guy they never have to worry about missing the play call or misaligning or blowing his technique. Javaris is going to start this season, but I expect we'll see a lot of Holsey opposite Carlton Davis, especially early against Clemson.

As for depth, I really like our depth in the entire defensive backfield. Carlton, Ford, Roberts, Ruffin, Holsey, and Matthews are all guys that should be playing at just about any school in the SEC. Roberts is a swing guy that can play some man-to-man. Ford and Holsey can both swing into the Nickel. Carlton Davis is the best player in that group. Then, you add Javaris Davis, TJ Davis, John Broussard, Marshall Taylor, and (at some point this year) Jeremiah Dinson. That's a good group with options.

Boussard is going to be a lot like Carlton Davis last year.  He will have hiccups and will get out-muscled on jump balls until he puts on more weight.  BUT, can become just of big of an asset at corner.  Holsey was one of the most consistent players on the field for us in years past.  It just how well he can cut on his knee.  Dinson will be a power player once 100%.   I sure hope they don't pull safeties down to corners.  That always makes me jittery making it apparent we have no depth or skillful backups.  I am still confident we will be fine though.   We are in a better position than last year still.  

IMO if Dinson had not ever got hurt, he would have started beside Carlton this season with Dean hurt. But were still ok. Also I would hope Holsey is not Cutting on his Knee, seems that might hurt and keep him from playing. 

Im im pretty sure I read that this fall Roberts had been at CB with the 2's a lot. 

9 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

If Taylor can give us what Countess did last year, I'll take that in a heartbeat.

For whatever reason, I expect Holsey to start against Clemson. In the end, I just think the coaches are going to want a security blanket out there, and he's the guy they never have to worry about missing the play call or misaligning or blowing his technique. Javaris is going to start this season, but I expect we'll see a lot of Holsey opposite Carlton Davis, especially early against Clemson.

As for depth, I really like our depth in the entire defensive backfield. Carlton, Ford, Roberts, Ruffin, Holsey, and Matthews are all guys that should be playing at just about any school in the SEC. Roberts is a swing guy that can play some man-to-man. Ford and Holsey can both swing into the Nickel. Carlton Davis is the best player in that group. Then, you add Javaris Davis, TJ Davis, John Broussard, Marshall Taylor, and (at some point this year) Jeremiah Dinson. That's a good group with options.

100% agree. Anyone know who is going to be playing the Money position, in the dime package.

As I sit watching "The Lone Ranger" I have put in my 2 cents.  I think we now have enough quality DBs to keep them fresh going into the 4th quarter.

Archived