Brenda Tracy to visit AU in Oct - Rape Survivor

corchjay

Rape survivor Brenda Tracy to bring her story to the Auburn football team...

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/draft-draft-info-to-fill-brenda-tracy-to-visit-auburn-football

Its a sad state of the world when young grown "men" have to be convinced to be gentlemen!!!

Her story of her visit to the Nebraska team.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2016/06/brenda_tracy_mike_riley_nebras.html

I for one am very happy to hear this. I love that AU truly tries to mold these players into "Auburn men." Football is important, but so are many other things that make a player well rounded. 

I hope and pray that this does not happen to a young lady by any of our football players. I am not naive to think that it doesn't happen in Auburn somewhere. I remember a girl I knew who was date raped at a fraternity house. I am proud that our coaches would address this issue with our team.

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

Its a sad state of the world when young grown "men" have to be convinced to be gentlemen!!!

Why do so many people think these things didn't happen before? They are just much more widely reported on now that everyone knows about it instead of being swept under the rug or never reported by the victim.

I recommend reading Jon Krakauer's book Missoula if you want to know more about acquaintance rape on college campuses. I applaud the coaching staff for having her come speak to the team. Unfortunately, this happens much more than most people realize. 

Smart move by the staff. Firstly, I hope that generally this woman's story will instruct the young men about what is appropriate. Secondly, I think this would be insurance for the program. If there was an incident, it could be shown that sensitivity was already built in. We might not lose a coach overs player's actions. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't know why I think this but I'd wish stories like this, Brenda's trip to AU, would fly under the radar. Now it just smells like a PR stunt. Not saying this is a PR stunt. 

Is this a national story? 

13 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I recommend reading Jon Krakauer's book Missoula if you want to know more about acquaintance rape on college campuses. I applaud the coaching staff for having her come speak to the team. Unfortunately, this happens much more than most people realize. 

Good book though not as good as some of his others. While the problem of "date rape" is very real,as the book outlines, I admit that I was sympathetic to some of the males portrayed in that book as well. It is a complex issue with more than one "victim" oftentimes and a very poorly equipped system to adequately address the complexity of "justice" in these cases. And, yes, I have three daughters and have thought about the issue a good bit.

I'm glad women are becoming more assertive in actively pursuing justice and speaking publicly about rape.  The lady allegedly raped by the four (two have been convicted) Vanderbilt players endures mental anguish every time she testifies, but she perseveres.  She was the victim of a date rape drug.

I was sorry to read about the light sentence handed down to Steven K. Howard, ex-Auburn lab technician, for distributing a date rape drug.  I believe his punishment should match the one his customers would face if caught.

Archived