Jump to content
Null

Practice Update - 8/23/16


RunInRed
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

LBs should be interesting. I still don't think we have the numbers we need for a full 6-7 man rotation, which is what you normally want, but I'm really optimistic about the Williamses, Neal, and Davis. If Atkinson and Threat can play as well, that's just bonus round stuff for me. I expect we'll live in Nickel with Ford/Holsey manning that spot most of the time.

Honestly we will be in nickel 60-70% of the time and don't need a 7 man rotation at LB

Link to comment
Share on other sites





12 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

LBs should be interesting. I still don't think we have the numbers we need for a full 6-7 man rotation, which is what you normally want, but I'm really optimistic about the Williamses, Neal, and Davis. If Atkinson and Threat can play as well, that's just bonus round stuff for me. I expect we'll live in Nickel with Ford/Holsey manning that spot most of the time.

In the scrimmages, everyone was praising Atkinson for his speed and how well he has been playing.  He could have a really good first year playing on the field.  I doubt we will see Threat play this year, but if he does, he has been on campus for 8 months which will really help him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

In the scrimmages, everyone was praising Atkinson for his speed and how well he has been playing.  He could have a really good first year playing on the field.  I doubt we will see Threat play this year, but if he does, he has been on campus for 8 months which will really help him.

I just hope Atkinson is not another Justin Garrett.  We heard for 2 years how great Garrett had been doing in practice and scrimmage.  However, it never carried over into games.  Now, part of that was injuries, but we never got to see him succeed much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Gibson SG said:

I just hope Atkinson is not another Justin Garrett.  We heard for 2 years how great Garrett had been doing in practice and scrimmage.  However, it never carried over into games.  Now, part of that was injuries, but we never got to see him succeed much.

Most of it was injuries. Garrett was good when he was healthy. I hear what you're saying, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even so, I'm not even relying on Atkinson. He's generally not considered part of our top four in a two position rotation. I expect to Tre and Darrell Williams first with TJ Neal and Deshaun Davis next. Again, if Atkinson looks like he did on A-Day, that's a massive bonus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Even so, I'm not even relying on Atkinson. He's generally not considered part of our top four in a two position rotation. I expect to Tre and Darrell Williams first with TJ Neal and Deshaun Davis next. Again, if Atkinson looks like he did on A-Day, that's a massive bonus.

What do you think about Toney? Another where "we're hearing good things"...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On War Eagle Live last week they said the staff experimented with Atkinson in the nickel just to see what happened against the 2nd team and he was wreaking havoc everywhere apparently. Yeah, I know it's against the 2s but still sounds promising, in an unconventional sort of way. Might be a good way to keep our run D stout while going to nickel, if he can grow in that role....although I suppose in pass D he might be a liability.

 

Side Note: War Eagle Live was really entertaining and the guys were not big on sunshine pumping (although it was a little weird how they were discussing Jovon, but I'll take honesty over anything) or being homers like War Blogle and company on the al.com podcasts....I like how real Rob Pate kept it on War Eagle Live. But even though I'm not a fan of homerism I still listen to the al.com podcast lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Honestly, my biggest concern is that, historically, when we've had a quality line that focuses on speed, we've spent the first couple of games overrunning every play because we get in the back field too fast. I hope they focus on keeping Watson in front of them until they put him on his back.

Yep, they are going to have lower their hips and bring themselves under control as they close in on Watson or they will wiff. Doesn't do any good to get to Watson just to run right past him. If Lawson has a weakness that would be the one he needs to work on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, this is it. The ultimate observation made by this female fan. Paul James has the prettiest smile on the team. Hands down. Hey, it's only fair. You guys get cheerleaders and the Nip. I get to choose the prettiest smile. :Sing: 

I will say it again, I am loving the player interviews. They appear to be ready. Thanks RIR for all your hard work!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that the QB battle has been settled, I think we need to have JFIII split time between practicing on offense and working against the defense on the scout team. While Woody Barrett may more closely fit the physical stature Deshaun Watson, JFIII's experience might make him more accurately emulate Watson. Plus, if Lawson and company can chase down JFIII, they can stop Watson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...