Softball Infield Positions to Fill

Thanks for that info from the scrimmage.  It sounds like things are moving forward.  If Veach keeps swinging the bat, she may have to find a way to get her more AB's.  It sounds like Crocker is trying to take an early lead (no pun) at 2B.  It's nice to see Draper and Gipson are back out there already.  Guessing that means no set backs, so that is good.  Did the rest of the roster play?  If so, it doesn't sound as good for Greenwood.  I know there were several players you didn't mention.  Any of those have a strong showing?  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, 4WDE said:

Thanks for that info from the scrimmage.  It sounds like things are moving forward.  If Veach keeps swinging the bat, she may have to find a way to get her more AB's.  It sounds like Crocker is trying to take an early lead (no pun) at 2B.  It's nice to see Draper and Gipson are back out there already.  Guessing that means no set backs, so that is good.  Did the rest of the roster play?  If so, it doesn't sound as good for Greenwood.  I know there were several players you didn't mention.  Any of those have a strong showing?  

4WDE, I just post what comes to mind at that moment and would not take what I say as an in depth analysis.  I think Greenwood is doing fine and may have been out of the scrimmage as a precaution.  Should mention that Joyner seems to be playing well at SS.  Likewise, Emily Spain, a junior, has done a nice job at second.  Infield wise there are a lot of potential combinations because of players playing multiple positions. 1st Base: Abbott, Snow, Perry, Veach.  2nd Base: McCrackin, Crocker, Spain.  SS: Fagan, McCrackin, Joyner, Jordan.  3rd Base: Cooooooper, Veach, Snow.  I would suspect the OF will be Whitney Jordan, Draper and Gipson.  Behind those it would be pure speculation on my part.  Podany is a sophomore as is Fornis.  I felt that the freshman Maresette has made a lot of progress.  A number of players could be in the mix as "back-up" there.  Driving home last Sunday I asked my wife who we might drop if we had to eliminate 3 - 4 players from the squad.  Still debating.  There could be players who do not travel based on the quality players at their position and not their lack of skill.  Some could travel based on their potential as base runners or used as DP's.  It would be confusing for me to work out the best combinations so I decided to leave it up to Coach Myers.

Archived