auburn coaches did not get along last year........

aubiefifty

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

auburn coaches did not like each other last year

Postby aubert » August 25th, 2016, 7:09 am

Pat Dye: Auburn coaches didn’t like each other in 2015
Auburn Authority
Matthew Stevens, Montgomery Advertiser 5:41 p.m. CDT August 24, 2016

Former Auburn coach Pat Dye agrees with every staff move current Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has made. Dye said on ESPN 106.7 in Auburn that a factor was the 2015 staff didn't like each other. (Photo: Mickey Welsh/Advertiser)

AUBURN – Pat Dye says he’s on board with every staff adjustment Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn has made this past offseason.

Dye, who served as Auburn’s head football coach (1981-1992) and athletic director (1981-1991) for over a decade, said in a radio interview Wednesday morning on ESPN 106.7 in Auburn that one of the major reasons for optimism is the attitude of the current Tigers staff.

“I think Coach Malzahn has done a great job in every change he made on the staff has been positive,” Dye said. “Every change. Without exception. I don’t care what it is. It’s been a positive.”

Dye specifically referenced an ongoing rift inside the Auburn coaching staff last year led to its disappointing 7-6 season after opening the campaign with a preseason No. 6 ranking in the Associated Press poll.

“The coaches like each other and that wasn’t the case last year,” Dye said. “When the coaches don’t like each other the players are confused and who are you going to listen to? I mean, who has the influence?”

Auburn went through five staff changes this offseason that included LSU defensive coordinator Kevin Steele replacing Will Muschamp after he took the South Carolina head coaching position, Penn State offensive line coach Herb Hand replacing J.B. Grimes after he left for Cincinnati, Kodi Burns replacing Dameyune Craig after he left for the same position at LSU, linebackers coach Travis Williams replacing Lance Thompson and New Orleans Saints defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff replacing Travaris Robinson. Robinson and Thompson left for Muschamp’s staff at South Carolina.

“I’m very excited about our offensive staff,” Malzahn said at Southeastern Conference media days on July 11. “All of them have played for me in this offense or coached for me in the extended period of time. Our defense, Kevin Steele has done a great job with our staff, doing a great job gelling our staff together. Our philosophies are exactly the same. I think that’s very important.”
Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn talks to Auburn defensive

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn talks to Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp during the NCAA football game between Auburn and Mississippi State on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. Mississippi State Bulldogs defeated Auburn 17-9. Albert Cesare / Advertiser (Photo: .)

After he left for LSU, Craig said he believed the situation at LSU included a better head coach and athletic director than his previous job at his alma mater.

“I think it starts with the leadership,” Craig said. “It starts at the top of the food chain. That’s with the head coach and the athletic director. They are doing an outstanding job of leading this program and giving the student-athletes what they need to be successful. That is attractive to anybody in the country. That’s where it starts.”

Dye specifically cited on Wednesday morning that Burns and Williams were having the biggest impact among the newcomers of the current Auburn staff.

“Ain’t nothing like that youth and enthusiasm and being hungry so I think they’ve had influence,” Dye said.

Dye, who has attended Auburn’s spring and preseason practices, referenced the issue at quarterback in 2015 led to the disappointing 2-6 record in the SEC. The College Football Hall of Fame inductee, who is third all-time in wins at Auburn, said he believes Malzahn will make “the safest choice” when deciding between Sean White, Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III this preseason.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that this morning from al.com.  That was a little surprising to hear, but as I thought about it, it made sense a little bit.

Just wishing that Craig's WRs had done the job last year..that was his job.

And from what I saw earlier, not sure he actually said that LSU had a better HC and AD...implied it perhaps but media hacks always looking to sow controversy.

I rarely put too much stock in Coach Dye's comments nowadays.  He was pleased as punch when Muschamp was hired and brought in his defensive coaching staff.  He was happy to see D.Craig come back home to Auburn.  So it's no surprise now that he is happy with the current staff and supports all of Gus' decisions.

Pat Dye was also the very person that blasted the airwaves in 2012 and when things were going in the sewer said Chizik could lose every game in 2012 and his job would still be safe because he was "a good man." :rolleyes:

I agree with AU64 the receivers did not produce last year.   Add this to the down spiral in QB play adds up to 2015 season.  But the team did get a bowl win.  My $.02 :wareagle:

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just wishing that Craig's WRs had done the job last year..that was his job.

And from what I saw earlier, not sure he actually said that LSU had a better HC and AD...implied it perhaps but media hacks always looking to sow controversy.

Craig implied LSU had a better HC and AD situation.  But honestly when I look back at how Joe Alleva handled the Les Miles potential firing at the end of the '15 season and let that whole thing drag out, left Miles hanging in the wind until Jimbo emphatically said NO....then the players carry Les out on their shoulders in the wake of the aTm win in what looked like his farewell tour in Death Valley only for the LA Governor to push his support for Miles on social media forcing Alleva to jump in on the press conference and state that Miles would be retained...... Well, I'm not so sure I would say LSU has a better AD than Auburn.

Now, I remember Muschamp being more than a little shocked and perplexed at how Gus chose to run certain areas of the team.  He felt like the recruiting processes needed changing, and he felt like practices needed to be changed and probably a few other issues that we don't know about.  D.Craig & Lance Thompson more than likely felt the same way about specific aspects of Gus' program.  All three of those guys have been a part of some elite level college programs in their careers.  They've experienced elite level head coaching and top shelf recruiting operations and Gus is still training on the job.  It's understandable for those guys to feel like Gus had some deficiencies when compared to their former bosses.

I too get aggravated sometimes with CPD's remarks but I think he is right on with this. I don't think there was any trouble with CGM and CWM i think the problem was with other coaches. I think the some of the offensive coaches felt the defense was getting to much attention. They also had some bonds with the coaches the new coaches replacedand probably was not happy they were replaced. I think if you take a moment and look the defense improved during the year while the offense did not. I will always respect CDC but I feel like he was not happy with the amount of publicity that was being bestowed on the defense instead of the offense. I am not disrespecting any of the coaches just saying I think there was a major conflict in where some thought the program should be headed. I think CDC very much wants to be a head coach ( as he should feel) someday, and felt that the inclusion of two of the coaches on the defense were taking away from that. I think Dye is on spot about this. Also I hope that you saw Dye's comment on the QB's. He has attended most of the practices and has stated he is happy with any of the three. That they have all improved. WDE

Disagreements and differing opinions can be a good thing, but not if your core philosophies are at odds.  His 2015 hires were a bad fit.  Tubs did the same thing with TF and it cost him his job.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He is closer than some may like to believe.

Where is he getting this inside information from Bird?   It's like everything was just fine and dandy on the staff and in the locker room when the season is underway.  But when a piss poor season comes to a close and rumors are swirling that our HC will be fighting for his job in '16 and we have to replace half the coaching staff....THEN 8 months later Dye tells us there was a disgruntled coaching staff that lead to a crappy season.  

Why speak now?  If he's so close to the program he would have known about the chemistry between the coaches 10 months ago.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

Craig implied LSU had a better HC and AD situation.  But honestly when I look back at how Joe Alleva handled the Les Miles potential firing at the end of the '15 season and let that whole thing drag out, left Miles hanging in the wind until Jimbo emphatically said NO....then the players carry Les out on their shoulders in the wake of the aTm win in what looked like his farewell tour in Death Valley only for the LA Governor to push his support for Miles on social media forcing Alleva to jump in on the press conference and state that Miles would be retained...... Well, I'm not so sure I would say LSU has a better AD than Auburn.

Now, I remember Muschamp being more than a little shocked and perplexed at how Gus chose to run certain areas of the team.  He felt like the recruiting processes needed changing, and he felt like practices needed to be changed and probably a few other issues that we don't know about.  D.Craig & Lance Thompson more than likely felt the same way about specific aspects of Gus' program.  All three of those guys have been a part of some elite level college programs in their careers.  They've experienced elite level head coaching and top shelf recruiting operations and Gus is still training on the job.  It's understandable for those guys to feel like Gus had some deficiencies when compared to their former bosses.

Especially with the salary he was making....lots of money for a coach with so little college HC experience.   Lots of us worry about having a rookie coach and like you, i keep hoping that the experience will soon show up on the job.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Where is he getting this inside information from Bird?   It's like everything was just fine and dandy on the staff and in the locker room when the season is underway.  But when a piss poor season comes to a close and rumors are swirling that our HC will be fighting for his job in '16 and we have to replace half the coaching staff....THEN 8 months later Dye tells us there was a disgruntled coaching staff that lead to a crappy season.  

Why speak now?  If he's so close to the program he would have known about the chemistry between the coaches 10 months ago.

No reason to speak now. No reason to speak on it at all, IMO.  Coaching chemistry is very important and does somewhat affect players

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Disagreements and differing opinions can be a good thing, but not if your core philosophies are at odds.  His 2015 hires were a bad fit.  Tubs did the same thing with TF and it cost him his job.

So bringing in one of the best DC's in the country along with his very good position coaches is now considered a bad fit?  Those were some very good and experienced coaches on that defensive staff last year and together they improved the AU D.  Muschamp and his guys have had experience and exposure to elite head coaches, recruiting staffs, at some the countries top college teams.  Did they feel like AU (Gus) didn't want to do the things necessary to make AU an elite program?

Let's study this a moment guys, Gus has had exposure and experience to Houston Nutt, Todd Grantham and Gene Chizik and he's seen first had how they run their programs as head coaches. Now let's compare that to the head coaches D. Craig - Will Muschamp - Lance Thompson - T. Robinson, etc.  have gained experience and exposure to in their careers.   Hmmm

why? well for me i am tired of reading the same ol posts every single day. and just because i post something does not mean i agree with it. it just means i am putting it out there to see what folks think and bring up some new posts. and i hate reading articles like this and hearing EVERYONES'S opinion but auburn fans. sound better?

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

why? well for me i am tired of reading the same ol posts every single day. and just because i post something does not mean i agree with it. it just means i am putting it out there to see what folks think and bring up some new posts. and i hate reading articles like this and hearing EVERYONES'S opinion but auburn fans. sound better?

If you are replying to me I'm talking about people like Dye, JJ and alike. Gus last year pimping Johnson as the next Heisman Trophy winner. Stuff like this. And yes Gus said this about Johnson.

Interesting that this came from Dye....can you imagine at UAT in 5 or whatever years from now when Nick is retired, him schmoozing with the sports hacks on al.com talking about his successor coaches and staff?    As noted, I expect when NS retires, the moving van will be on it's way out of Tuscalooser the next week.   PD could consider that too. JMO

my apologies wde. i get crap on some of the posts i post just for posting them. i get tired of people saying  my thread is stupid etc. and it happens quite a bit. i just want to come on here and have  fun and see different ideas and not be bashed for it. am i the brightest bulb on the fam? nope. but i am one of the most loyal auburn fans you will ever run across on sports boards.

I like DC but it reflects poorly on a coach to go to another team and publicly criticize his former program. I don't care who you are, I don't like it.    

Archived