FWIW JGT opines on Sean White

ellitor

Link

AUBURN | Gus Malzahn isn't the most serene guy you've ever met, certainly not nine days before his team's season-opening game against No. 2 Clemson, but the relief on his face was unmistakable Thursday night.

He has a starter at quarterback. A starter he likes very much.

"I wouldn't say I'm necessarily calm," Malzahn said as two reporters chuckled. "I'm just like these players -- I'm ready to play."

That was the feeling throughout Auburn's athletic complex Thursday as Sean White was named the Tigers' starting quarterback. Fall camp ended a week ago. The game-week cycle started Tuesday. Anticipation is building and now the team knows exactly who will be running the show on offense.

That formal designation matters.

White is, at his core, a master of consensus building. He's a remarkably positive person who takes great care to put those around him at ease. He talks up his teammates effortlessly because he pays close attention to everything they do. A personal best in the weight room? White knows. A young wideout who finally perfects a double move? White knows.

A young tailback who demonstrates valor and flawless technique while diffusing a blitzing linebacker with 50 extra pounds in tow? White knows.

And he lets them know he knows. White celebrates like mad and that raw enthusiasm lifts the spirits of every player around him. He creates energy. Positive energy.

Does that matter at a combine? Not at all. Though Malzahn said Thursday that White is a "4.6 guy," a 40-yard dash figure that surely will be debated over time, he's not the fastest quarterback on the roster. Standing perhaps a centimeter or two below six feet, he's not the tallest quarterback. His arm isn't the strongest.

Yet White is the Tigers' best quarterback because he's the most reliable performer and he has a track record, when healthy, that inspires confidence. Keep in mind that White completed 63 percent of his passes last season (as a redshirt freshman) before suffering a serious knee injury at Arkansas in October. He may be a bit bashful when it comes to taking risks downfield, but White cannot be accused of putting his team into untenable circumstances very often.

He manages risks like someone much older. Malzahn likes that about White and believes that skill sets the table for a winning formula on offense.

The energy plays, too. White is an inspiring player whose positive reinforcements tends to bring out better play in his teammates. Picking a quarterback isn't solely about that quarterback's statistics; how a team plays with that quarterback behind center matters almost as much.

Auburn was better this fall with White behind center. That simple fact ended the debate.

Will White be a standout this season? Intelligent observers can disagree.

Still, picking White at this juncture is the right play. Time will tell if it's ultimately the correct decision.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Tate is saying is that White is a leader, the kind of QB that makes the team more than the sum of its parts.  We've all seen these kinds of players pop up from time to time. You rarely see them coming and they're all but impossible to predict, but if White does turn out to be one of those "Garsh darnit, the team is just better when he's in there!" kind of QB's, it could be a special thing by the time he's done. White is only a redshirt sophomore, right? If he lights it up, AU may have an established QB for three years. Been awhile since we had anything like that.  

32 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

What Tate is saying is that White is a leader, the kind of QB that makes the team more than the sum of its parts.  We've all seen these kinds of players pop up from time to time. You rarely see them coming and they're all but impossible to predict, but if White does turn out to be one of those "Garsh darnit, the team is just better when he's in there!" kind of QB's, it could be a special thing by the time he's done. White is only a redshirt sophomore, right? If he lights it up, AU may have an established QB for three years. Been awhile since we had anything like that.  

Opposing team fans respect the heck out of SW too. I've seen on more than one occasion, even Alabama fans, say that if SW was at LSU, Alabama, UGA, or UF that they would win the conference with him at the helm. I'm personally glad to see him named the starter, but we need to tailor the offense around him and his skill set. On the other QB's, I think most are a little scared when it comes to JJ, and as far as JF3 goes, I just envisioned way too many turnovers as a full time starter with our early season games. 

If what Tate says is true, then almost every doubt I had about Sean is answered. 

I'm still not sold on his injury status. I've had the same injury he suffered against Arkansas. Now while I am no D1 athlete, it did require surgery before I was back to 100%. That injury doesn't heal on its own without surgery. He is just on good hit away from being out for the year. 

However if the OL can protect him, keep him healthy, and what Tate says is accurate, we COULD have a good if not great season!

WDE!

Anticipation of the SW haters coming attacks is painful. ?

8 hours ago, WarTim said:

Anticipation of the SW haters coming attacks is painful. ?

Let me say that I am one that has reservations about all our QB and prefer what we did with NM type offense. SW is not that type guy and I get it. I've looked back at some of last years stuff and he did some good things. Good throws, nice pocket presence and good runs when called on. I am feeling better about our O every day. Little bummed that we don't have known thing at running back. 

Anyway I say that because to the poster above saying that opposing fans wanted him at their schools like UA, LSU and UF is not reality. They may by the end of the year, but nobody wanted any of our QB based on last years play. 

So I am not being a hater, to say that is just a little bit of bs right now. I hope after the first game everyone will want him though. Go AU and SW.

From all I've read, it seems this was the right choice and the one many expected. I'm sure they will find ways to get JFIII in the games. I like the leadership SW shows with his teammates. Now it's time to see what all this looks like on the field. I'm ready to see this offense rebound from a lackluster year last year and get back to putting up the yards and numbers that it is capable doing. 

If our D can be as good as some expect, then it could be a pretty exciting year. But again, I'm ready to see it on the field; not just on message boards, newspaper articles and TV segments. 

On August 26, 2016 at 0:12 AM, ellitor said:

Yet White is the Tigers' best quarterback because he's the most reliable performer

Totally agree. He is the best QB on our roster because he is the most reliable. Kind've like bringing in a grizzled veteran to start game 7 of a MLB playoff game instead of bringing in a cocked cannon for an arm.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Totally agree. He is the best QB on our roster because he is the most reliable. Kind've like bringing in a grizzled veteran to start game 7 of a MLB playoff game instead of bringing in a cocked cannon for an arm.

The grizzled vet who throws strikes and gets ground outs vs the flame thrower who is flashy but can't find the strike zone?

16 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

@passthebiscuits what's the unofficial long term report on a guy who has Sean's reported injury? I think it was a strained PCL, right?

I'm not ptb but SW is not having any lingering effects from his injury. 

No disrespect intended, but I never had a fan from any team we played last year say they wish they had one of our quarterbacks last year.

Lol on another note, the article did sound similar to a speech I gave a good buddy before i set him up on a blind date. Good news is, they are married now.

31 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

The grizzled vet who throws strikes and gets ground outs vs the flame thrower who is flashy but can't find the strike zone?

It really doesn't matter just a figurative comparison.

In my mind, the grizzled vet throws strikes and he commands the baseball to atone for his lack of arm strength. Cool composure as well. Que Tom Glavine

The cocked cannon is a flamethrower that has the better arm, is more talented, but hasn't mastered his abilities yet. While he may be able to find the strike zone, he doesn't find it consistently which may give rise to the next problem, his composure eventually gets the best of him. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

It really doesn't matter just a figurative comparison.

In my mind, the grizzled vet throws strikes and he commands the baseball to atone for his lack of arm strength. Cool composure as well. Que Tom Glavine

The cocked cannon is a flamethrower that has the better arm, is more talented, but hasn't mastered his abilities yet. While he may be able to find the strike zone, he doesn't find it consistently which may give rise to the next problem, his composure eventually gets the best of him. 

Thank you for clearing that up! I wasn't sure. 

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Let me say that I am one that has reservations about all our QB and prefer what we did with NM type offense. SW is not that type guy and I get it. I've looked back at some of last years stuff and he did some good things. Good throws, nice pocket presence and good runs when called on. I am feeling better about our O every day. Little bummed that we don't have known thing at running back. 

Anyway I say that because to the poster above saying that opposing fans wanted him at their schools like UA, LSU and UF is not reality. They may by the end of the year, but nobody wanted any of our QB based on last years play. 

So I am not being a hater, to say that is just a little bit of bs right now. I hope after the first game everyone will want him though. Go AU and SW.

You saying it is not "reality" is not true, as I have seen several instances where it has been said. Note all of the school's I listed have some level of uncertainty at the qb going into the season The "reality" is that plenty saw SW's skill set and that he was in an offense that was not tailored to him.

Not trying to be brash about it, just saying that it has been said

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Lets all get behind Sean this season. 

Agree. But I will also add that we should get behind whomever is playing QB as long that person is playing the position adequately.  You can get behind someone while also recognizing when a change should be made.

wde

34 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Lets all get behind Sean this season. 

That's easy now. The question is how will people react if he throws 2 or 3 picks in his first 2 or 3 games

On August 26, 2016 at 7:59 AM, gman87 said:

Sounded to me like JGT was describing a date with "a great personality".

Ha, she's not much to look at but sure can cook. :)

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's easy now. The question is how will people react if he throws 2 or 3 picks in his first 2 or 3 games

People will start losing their minds if he is still starting vs. TAMU, like I was when JJ started against LSU. But, since Gus has been such a stud QB recruiter and developer, we won't worry because we have a solid backup with experience.........

Interceptions are going to happen. Depends on the interception.  Was it on a ball thrown into double coverage? Was it because a Freshman wr ran the wrong route? Or because the db made a helluva play? Some you facepalm. Some you tip your hat to the defense.

Archived