Tell us how your high school team is doing!

AUDub

Tell us how your prep squad is doing so far this season. Trussville has started out 2-0 with both wins coming against out of state competition.

Week 1's win came over Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville. MBA has a dynamo RB, a four-star commited to the Vols, that ran all over us last year and continued in that vein in the first half last week. Had 180 yards in the first half and Trussville was down 24-19. Second half rolls around and Trussville bottles him up, scores twice and goes home with a 33-24 win. 

Last night's game is the one I want to talk about. I got there at 6:30. Started at 7pm, ended at 10:45 with Trussville winning 78-56. This was a team from Bradenton, Fl, a team some publications ranked number 2 in Florida's 8A, called Manatee. It was a shootout. We traded scores with them all first quarter and were losing 20-17. Second quarter rolls round and we continue trading scores, but they throw a pick 6 to give us a leg up in the shootout. Trussville holds them to three and out one other drive and keeps scoring and forces a safety. 47-34 huskies at the half.  Third quarter went by relatively quickly, with Trussville scoring the only points on a field goal. 50-34 going into the fourth. Fourth quarter, Trussville out scores them 28-22. Grayson Cash, a UAB commit had something like 250 yards rushing with 4 TDs and 48 yards receiving on 2 catches for 2 TDs. Ridiculous. 

Trussville's O is something I have never seen at my old high school. Region play starts next week. Glad college ball kicks off next week because last night wore me slap out. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oak Mountain is more of a soccer school right now. Was voted the best team in the country last season. So that's cool I guess.

Not that I really even keep up with either sport other than what gets posted by fellow graduates on Facebook. 

Greenville High School is starting off solid. We lost our ENTIRE starting 11 on defense from last year, lead by some kid named Marlon Davidson (haha). We're very young this year. Second year coach Josh McLendon would have done his best coaching job to date if he can get this team to the play offs. The talent is there, but we're just so young. We have only 6 seniors on the team and not all of them start. 

We started the season with Stanhope Elmore and it was a good ol' defensive slugfest. Led 13-0 going into the half and Stanhope scored the last points of the game with about 2 minutes left in the 4th. GHS was able to hang on to win 13-7 it what I would say was an upset.

Last night (8/26) we ran into a buzzsaw named Beauregard. They had a perfect regular season last year, and returned a lot of their team this year. Their 1-2 punch in the running game combined for 248 yards on 39 carries for 4 TDs. It was a pretty nip and tuck game until GHS lost their starting QB to a broken hand. After that, the flood gates opened and Beauregard rolled to a 39-13 victory. 

6 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Tell us how your prep squad is doing so far this season. Trussville has started out 2-0 with both wins coming against out of state competition.

Week 1's win came over Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville. MBA has a dynamo RB, a four-star commited to the Vols, that ran all over us last year and continued in that vein in the first half last week. Had 180 yards in the first half and Trussville was down 24-19. Second half rolls around and Trussville bottles him up, scores twice and goes home with a 33-24 win. 

Last night's game is the one I want to talk about. I got there at 6:30. Started at 7pm, ended at 10:45 with Trussville winning 78-56. This was a team from Bradenton, Fl, a team some publications ranked number 2 in Florida's 8A, called Manatee. It was a shootout. We traded scores with them all first quarter and were losing 20-17. Second quarter rolls round and we continue trading scores, but they throw a pick 6 to give us a leg up in the shootout. Trussville holds them to three and out one other drive and keeps scoring and forces a safety. 47-34 huskies at the half.  Third quarter went by relatively quickly, with Trussville scoring the only points on a field goal. 50-34 going into the fourth. Fourth quarter, Trussville out scores them 28-22. Grayson Cash, a UAB commit had something like 250 yards rushing with 4 TDs and 48 yards receiving on 2 catches for 2 TDs. Ridiculous. 

Trussville's O is something I have never seen at my old high school. Region play starts next week. Glad college ball kicks off next week because last night wore me slap out. 

134 points? That's a game some fans love and officials absolutely hate.  No defense at all it seems.  I'm certainly glad I didn't have to call that one.

Sad news, mine lost 33-0. Good news,  my team, Dallas County, lost to McAdory which is home to a certain commit we know in Malcom Askew! Too bad I live in a different state now and couldn't go watch him. 

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

134 points? That's a game some fans love and officials absolutely hate.  No defense at all it seems.  I'm certainly glad I didn't have to call that one.

It was just one of those shootouts. They had some gamers out there. A dual threat QB that was tough to bring down and had a cannon arm, some tall as crap receivers, and one WR that had 100 receiving and 100 running the wildcat. The Gus Malzahn scheme that Floyd runs and our conditioning wore them down. Their defenders started dropping like flies in the second half. I'm exhausted just watching it.

My team lost 19-14....two fumbles lost inside the opponent 10, one blocked punt returned for a TD and an INT for a TD.....really let that game get away. Now 1-1 in Western NC 2-A

my team( Tanner) is in uncharted waters. lost last game in 2A playoffs last season and have started 0-2 this year. albeit the losses were to a ranked 4A and a 5A team. there have been 3-4 year stints where we didn't lose 3 games. 

"The Southwest Miami High Eagles football team won Friday's home non-conference game against rival school Coral Park by a score of 70-0. "

And yes, former AU swimming coach David Marsh and I attended the same high school in Miami. They have a Wall of Fame there and Coach Marsh is on it. If somewhere in the dean's office there's a Wall of Shame, that's where you'd see my name.

Prattville & we suck this year. I will be surprised if we win more than 3 games & don't finish last in our region.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

"The Southwest Miami High Eagles football team won Friday's home non-conference game against rival school Coral Park by a score of 70-0. "

And yes, former AU swimming coach David Marsh and I attended the same high school in Miami. They have a Wall of Fame there and Coach Marsh is on it. If somewhere in the dean's office there's a Wall of Shame, that's where you'd see my name.

I think they moved those to the basement...if they had a basement. j/k mikey

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Prattville & we suck this year. I will be surprised if we win more than 3 games & don't finish last in our region.

Times have changed????

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Times have changed????

Yep. We got lazy when we were a national power after Dubose left & hired a guy from across the road as HC who was not a good choice instead of 1 of the many quality coaches around the country who inquired about the job.

11 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I think they moved those to the basement...if they had a basement. j/k mikey

No basements in Miami, too close to the water table. Except for my great-grandpa's house. He dug a basement where he made beer and wine during prohibition and that money got the family through the great depression. It's said that his best customer was Miami Chief of Police Leslie Quigg. That house was real close to the Miami River and at high tides there would be a few inches of water standing in the basement. By the time I came along nobody went down there much, except for me and the occasional girl I could lure down the steps. But I digress....

"The Southwest Eagles football team won Thursday's away non-conference game against Miami Senior High by a score of 41-7. "

The times have changed in Miami high school football. In my time there, it would have been unthinkable for Southwest to beat the Miami High Stingarees. Miami High won 37 of the first 40 state football championships (mythical, before playoffs) and went on 20-year stretches when they didn't lose to any other Dade County school. Sometimes Boy's High of Atlanta or Louisville Male High would come down from the north and whup their fannies, but they never lost very much.

Anyway, Southwest is 2-0 so far.

I learned something cool today. Hewitt-Trussville has a WR named Noah Igbinoghene. He's our deep threat whose top two schools are Duke and Notre Dame. I work with his mother here at Children's. Have for a few years now. Chatted about games and how the team and her son were doing. I was looking into how his recruiting was going today and al.com had an article stating his mother and father were Olympic athletes for Nigeria. Sure enough, she was a bronze medalist in the 4x100 relay in 1992. Never realized it. How cool is that?

Here it is. She's the second leg.

34 minutes ago, alexava said:

Are his parents Doctors?

Momma is a nurse and ran for Alabama. I'm not sure what his daddy does for a living. He was an All-American at Mississippi St. in the triple jump, by the way.

Just got home. We beat the brakes of of Grissom 62-13. Wouldn't be surprised if we're ranked number 1 this week in 7A.

My high school football team Holtville is awful and has been the last few years. They're currently on a 23 game losing streak and haven't won a game since November 1, 2013. They just lost tonight 47-0 to Munford and play Dadeville next week. So the streak will be 24 games next week.

A little footnote about Holtville; Sonny Smart, who is Kirby Smart's father, was the baseball and football coach at Holtville at one time back in the late 1970's. Kirby's mom was actually an English teacher at Holtville high school too. Both his parents were at Holtville but moved to Georgia when Kirby was a little kid. Before Sonny Smart became the head coach in football at Holtville, he was the defensive coordinator. My dad actually played for Sonny on defense and was a back-up defensive end on one of Holtville's best teams back in 1973.

For those who want to laugh at Prattville, feel free to. We lost last week to Enterprise 50-14 & were down at halftime 47-0 with 6 turnovers in the 1st half.

8 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Just got home. We beat the brakes of of Grissom 62-13. Wouldn't be surprised if we're ranked number 1 this week in 7A.

Hearing good things about HTHS. Seems the new coach has really gotten his scheme to work (still the Gus prodigy guy?) and they are putting up some points. Dunno if Grissom has ever been good but I think the other 2 wins were over some decent teams. Might have to slip over there and see them play. 

I bet G. Jack Wood has a real hard time with those final scores though. :D

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Hearing good things about HTHS. Seems the new coach has really gotten his scheme to work (still the Gus prodigy guy?) and they are putting up some points. Dunno if Grissom has ever been good but I think the other 2 wins were over some decent teams. Might have to slip over there and see them play. 

I bet G. Jack Wood has a real hard time with those final scores though. :D

Yeah it's Josh Floyd who played who played for Gus at Shiloh and won a couple of titles there as a coach. Has his system rolling. Was expecting a drop off this year with QB Zac Thomas moving on to Appy St. and RB Jarrion Street moving on to Ole Miss, but we haven't missed a beat offensively. Adair has been amazing at QB. Cash too at RB will get more offers to tempt him away from his UAB commitment. Igbinoghene will start getting some more major college offers besides ND and Duke if he keeps catching everything and outrunning everyone. Absolutely rolling.

I played under Wood and 3 of the wins would be acceptable defensively, but he would have flipped his lid when we gave up 56 to Manatee in that 78-56 win in game two. "Played like s*** on a white rag," he would say. :laugh:

It was funny. Grissom is a 7A team, but looking at their sideline you wouldn't know it. Looked like they would have some trouble filling in the two-deep. Trussville easily had twice as many players. 

8 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Yeah it's Josh Floyd who played who played for Gus at Shiloh and won a couple of titles there as a coach. Has his system rolling. Was expecting a drop off this year with QB Zac Thomas moving on to Appy St. and RB Jarrion Street moving on to Ole Miss, but we haven't missed a beat offensively. Adair has been amazing at QB. Cash too at RB will get more offers to tempt him away from his UAB commitment. Igbinoghene will start getting some more major college offers besides ND and Duke if he keeps catching everything and outrunning everyone. Absolutely rolling.

I played under Wood and 3 of the wins would be acceptable defensively, but he would have flipped his lid when we gave up 56 to Manatee in that 78-56 win in game two. "Played like s*** on a white rag," he would say. :laugh:

It was funny. Grissom is a 7A team, but looking at their sideline you wouldn't know it. Looked like they would have some trouble filling in the two-deep. Trussville easily had twice as many players. 

Yeah, if you are good at FB in HSV, you either go to Bob Jones or get recruited by Madison Academy. Tons of kids at Huntsville High and Grissom but slim pickins for football talent. Can Toney was a be of an anomaly. 

Archived