Tell us how your high school team is doing!

AUDub

Well, last night I officiated the game for my former high school.  They started out great. Long pass for TD, then after their opponent scored, they got another quick score on a big play.  Then an onside kick got them possession again and they scored and they were up 21-7 after the 1st quarter.  At halftime, they were trailing 26-21.  They ended up losing 38-21.  I ran my ass off last night.   Crazy thing the way the schedule works out is I have them again next friday night too (this time they are at home).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2016 at 5:33 PM, WarTiger said:

Well, last night I officiated the game for my former high school.  They started out great. Long pass for TD, then after their opponent scored, they got another quick score on a big play.  Then an onside kick got them possession again and they scored and they were up 21-7 after the 1st quarter.  At halftime, they were trailing 26-21.  They ended up losing 38-21.  I ran my ass off last night.   Crazy thing the way the schedule works out is I have them again next friday night too (this time they are at home).

Seems sketchy they let you ref your old HS team. Cheater. 

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Seems sketchy they let you ref your old HS team. Cheater. 

:lol:  :lol:   Dude, I'm OLD.  I graduated from high school 31 years ago.  :lol:    Seriously though, the state of Florida does have a statute in place that you can't officiate your high school team until you have been removed from it for 10 years.   I think they have actually shortened that in recent years but not 100% certain.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

:lol:  :lol:   Dude, I'm OLD.  I graduated from high school 31 years ago.  :lol:    Seriously though, the state of Florida does have a statute in place that you can't officiate your high school team until you have been removed from it for 10 years.   I think they have actually shortened that in recent years but not 100% certain.

I couldn't do it. I would be so conscious of trying not to show favoritism I would be hurting my own team. I have been out for 25 years and still pull as hard now as I did then. I have umpired baseball for teams I had relatives on and did fine but baseball is different. 

Trussville went up to New Market to take on Will Ignont and the Buckhorn Bucks. Come away with a hard fought 34-23 win. 5-0 with 6-0 all but guaranteed with Centerpoint, whom most of us will remember as E. B. Erwin high, at home for homecoming next week.

The Southwest Eagles football team won Thursday's away conference game against Varela by a score of 44-0. This follows last week's win over North Miami Beach by a score of 31-14. The team is now 5-0 on the season.

2nd week in a row I worked the game involving my old high school.  This time they were at home and if you in the florida panhandle, it was the game of the week on ch. 35.  They are still rebuilding that program.   Current head coach is a name most of you will know and he's in his 3rd year ( i think),  Charlie Ward.  They lost tonight, I think it was 42-15.

On 8/27/2016 at 3:37 PM, augolf1716 said:

My team won as usual.........................Golden Tigers

From where??  Russellville?

I remembered we had exchanged PMs about that.  I haven't kept up with R'ville in forever.  I guess too focused on my son playing high school ball now.  He's a freshman at Smyrna High School (TN), starting OLB on freshman team.  

59 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

From where??  Russellville?

I remembered we had exchanged PMs about that.  I haven't kept up with R'ville in forever.  I guess too focused on my son playing high school ball now.  He's a freshman at Smyrna High School (TN), starting OLB on freshman team.  

I really don't follow them that much they did win again last week on the last play of the game something like a 30 yd TD pass. I see it on facebook. Is Smyrna near Nashville?

On 9/19/2016 at 5:11 PM, augolf1716 said:

I really don't follow them that much they did win again last week on the last play of the game something like a 30 yd TD pass. I see it on facebook. Is Smyrna near Nashville?

Yes, Smyrna is just a few miles SE of Nashville off of I24.  Town of a little over 40k now.  Very good HS football program.

Rolled over Centerpoint 55-0. Not much to say. Stayed healthy and won big. With Bob Jones coming to town next week that's a big plus.

My Easley Green Wave knocked down the Greenville Red Raiders 30-28 on the road in a Class 5A clash in the Upstate of South Carolina. Easley will host T.L. Hanna on Friday night as my cousin, Corey Tant is inducted into the Easley Green Wave Hall of Fame for his contributions as a running back during the late 90's. He rushed for 2,036 yards in his senior season at Easley in 1999 en route to a full scholarship with Furman University. He played in the FCS National Championship game his sophomore year as a full back, a team that beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill 28-0 earlier that season.

I'm proud of him (as you can tell) and I can't wait to be there with him as he receives his induction. He was one hell of a running back.

On 8/27/2016 at 8:19 AM, Bigbens42 said:

Tell us how your prep squad is doing so far this season. Trussville has started out 2-0 with both wins coming against out of state competition.

Week 1's win came over Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville. MBA has a dynamo RB, a four-star commited to the Vols, that ran all over us last year and continued in that vein in the first half last week. Had 180 yards in the first half and Trussville was down 24-19. Second half rolls around and Trussville bottles him up, scores twice and goes home with a 33-24 win. 

Last night's game is the one I want to talk about. I got there at 6:30. Started at 7pm, ended at 10:45 with Trussville winning 78-56. This was a team from Bradenton, Fl, a team some publications ranked number 2 in Florida's 8A, called Manatee. It was a shootout. We traded scores with them all first quarter and were losing 20-17. Second quarter rolls round and we continue trading scores, but they throw a pick 6 to give us a leg up in the shootout. Trussville holds them to three and out one other drive and keeps scoring and forces a safety. 47-34 huskies at the half.  Third quarter went by relatively quickly, with Trussville scoring the only points on a field goal. 50-34 going into the fourth. Fourth quarter, Trussville out scores them 28-22. Grayson Cash, a UAB commit had something like 250 yards rushing with 4 TDs and 48 yards receiving on 2 catches for 2 TDs. Ridiculous. 

Trussville's O is something I have never seen at my old high school. Region play starts next week. Glad college ball kicks off next week because last night wore me slap out. 

Your from Trussville too? I live near the stadium. We are doing really well this year. Big Game Friday vs Bob Jones. Nice to see someone from Trussville on the fourm!

39 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Your from Trussville too? I live near the stadium. We are doing really well this year. Big Game Friday vs Bob Jones. Nice to see someone from Trussville on the fourm!

Awesome! Grew up here. Moved out, met my wife and moved back after getting married to get my kids in school. Class of '04. Here I am:

C832060D-29FC-4792-B0BA-3D7D6A96EFE3_zps

The Southwest Miami Eagles football team lost Thursday's home conference game against Belen Jesuit by a score of 31-27. The team is now 4-1 for the season.

Trussville is the game of the week tonight, so it's televised on WABM 68 for anyone interested. Quite a crowd here in the stadium.

31-28 Huskies here in Husky Stadium at the half #Trackmeet.

59-49 HT pulls it out. Driver's seat for the region now. I'm going home and going to bed. Flipping high scoring TV games take forever.

Went to Harvest, pounded Sparkman while not playing particularly well. 42-14. 8-0 with two home games left. 

My high school here in Alabama has not lost a football game since December 4th 2005......;D

(the whole shut down because of consolidation might have a little to do with it :P ) The big 7A school that replaced it has still not won a state title despite the gloating declaration upon the school being built, that "We will win 3-4 titles in the first 10 years".....They are 3-5 so far this season, hahahahahahaha, LOSERS!!!!!!!! 

Venturing a guess. Is it Gadsen City? They somehow beat Bob Jones tonight. 

10 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Venturing a guess. Is it Gadsen City? They somehow beat Bob Jones tonight. 

Yes, I know, they found an identity on offense..I listened on the online radio. Honestly, I am all for the local teams doing well, but when they lose, it is just as sweet :lol:

7 hours ago, Auburn06 said:

Yes, I know, they found an identity on offense..I listened on the online radio. Honestly, I am all for the local teams doing well, but when they lose, it is just as sweet :lol:

We got them a few weeks ago. Funny that we, a metro team, are in a region with Gadsden City and Madison county. 

2 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

We got them a few weeks ago. Funny that we, a metro team, are in a region with Gadsden City and Madison county. 

I am disappointed that Gadsden City does not play any of the local teams :/ I mean come on, at least schedule one for homecoming....

Archived