Best/Worse venue for Game

aubiefifty

pardons if this has been brought up before but i have never seen it. what is the best venue for college football have you been to other than jordan hare? and what is the worst? furthest i have been was legion field when tennesee refused to play auburn at auburn. i remember tennessee running out and getting pelted with it seemed like hundreds or more of oranges. and auburn fans were running around yelling go to hell bear baxley. thoughts or comments? and mods if you delete or me this please let me know. it is very confusing for an old geezer to try and figur out where a thread has been moved to if you miss the board a couple of days. or deleted. sux trying to guess........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jordan Hare is not the best venue. Until they renovate the end zone, it will be in the lower-tier of the SEC. College Station is probably the best venue in all of college football. 

I can't comment on the worst or best, but there are plenty of venues I'd like to experience, including College Station and Baton Rouge at night. I'd love to go see a rivalry game between two teams where I don't mind which would win, like OSU/Michigan in either place or Texas/Oklahoma, USC/UCLA. I'd like to go see Oregon play in Autzen Stadium....for several reasons. :)

Baton Rouge is okay. I really liked Sanford Stadium and Ben Hill Griffith Stadium was great. When I want to BHG, it was during the Spurrier days and was during the UF '96 championship. 

anyone ever been to techs stadium? i have heard from auburn and bama friends both say it was pretty scary. something about the fans and maybe bad lighting? i just remember being told to skip the stadium if i ever had a chance to go because it was not a nice place?

I hated the Rose Bowl. Desperately needs updating. And if you're down low in the bowl in the endzone, you can have fun watching the game on the big screen between peoples' heads. Seats are incredibly small, the concourse and bathrooms are dilapidated  

Glad I got to go in 2014 and at least say I've been to that particular legendary stadium, but I'm not sure if I'd ever go back. 

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

anyone ever been to techs stadium? i have heard from auburn and bama friends both say it was pretty scary. something about the fans and maybe bad lighting? i just remember being told to skip the stadium if i ever had a chance to go because it was not a nice place?

The only thing good about tech's stadium is it's proximity to The Varsity.  Loves me some chili burgers & onion rings. Beyond that, it's an urban campus with little of the college-town feel that makes AU, and campuses like it, so wonderful.  Even the Ga Dome atmosphere is very lacking of any REAL tailgate feel (unless you call riding the Marta train tailgating... Blech!) 

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Golf loves him some Bobby Dodd. Just ask him.

did he have to wear a helmet of some kind? i hope he tells the story........

I loved the Rose Bowl.  I sat on the very last row at the 30.  I didn't feel that far from the field and watching the sunset behind the mountains was incredible.  

I enjoyed BHG the couple times I went in the 2000s.  I hate that the schedule hasn't let auburn play there in 10 years.  Loudest stadium I've been to.

Miss State in 2010 was the worst.  Maybe it's nicer now but it felt like a high school stadium then.  Starkville is a dump too.  

Athens is my favorite college town and Sanford stadium isn't bad.  3 upper deck are the worst seats in the SEC.

JHS is good IMO.  I personally hope they never fill in the end zones like BDS.  Something about seeing Haley and the other buildings outside has some charm.  My only complaint would be our fans.  I've seen our fans sit on their butts through some of the best games the past 20 years.  I wish we had a reputation like LSU.  

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I loved the Rose Bowl.  I sat on the very last row at the 30.  I didn't feel that far from the field and watching the sunset behind the mountains was incredible.  

I enjoyed BHG the couple times I went in the 2000s.  I hate that the schedule hasn't let auburn play there in 10 years.  Loudest stadium I've been to.

Miss State in 2010 was the worst.  Maybe it's nicer now but it felt like a high school stadium then.  Starkville is a dump too.  

Athens is my favorite college town and Sanford stadium isn't bad.  3 upper deck are the worst seats in the SEC.

JHS is good IMO.  I personally hope they never fill in the end zones like BDS.  Something about seeing Haley and the other buildings outside has some charm.  My only complaint would be our fans.  I've seen our fans sit on their butts through some of the best games the past 20 years.  I wish we had a reputation like LSU.  

On the other hand, we stood and sang in the torrential rain against WVU.  

Athens is a great college town. Their stadium is not the best but it's nice and the setting is wonderful. Was more fun when we used to beat them somewhat regularly.

Uga is a good venue. Super Dome seats are too small. Moo state does compare to HS stadium "feel". uat is a good stadium in the middle of a dump. ?

Sanford and Baton Rouge. Never been to Kyle Field but heard it was awesome. Bryant Denny is trash though. 

8 minutes ago, StuntMan06 said:

I'm going to have to go with Oxford for best and worst. Best tailgating, worst stadium. 

Vaught has been updated this year. I'm excited to see how it looks. That being said Vandy's stadium is worse as far as the SEC goes. Moo States was worse until they updated. Now it's pretty nice. Can't argue with you about the tailgating though. 

I loved the Rose Bowl. The stadium is alright. It's just a big bowl so you can end up pretty far from the field, but the setting is second to none. Absolutely incredible. 

I personally like Bryant Danny, although they may have gone a little too big for my taste. Feels more like an NFL stadium. Sanford is a great stadium. Still want to go to LSU and Kyle Field. 

33 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

On the other hand, we stood and sang in the torrential rain against WVU.  

I think the majority of those were students who 1.)  are young and crazy and full of booze 2.) you leave, you lose your seat.  Greatest thing about the greek system at Auburn when I was there was reserved seating.  I can't imagine getting into the stadium when the gates open just to get a decent seat.  I am expecting a wild and crazy stadium for Clemson even though we can't sell all our tickets.

Austin is pretty special, at least it was when they were winning.  However, the upper deck is just slightly closer than watching the game from the surface of the moon.

Clemson is pretty good, same feel in many ways as Auburn.  Death Valley it isn't, though.

Columbia, SC was a pretty bad experience all around.

7 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Best: West Point

Worst: Super Dome

Never been to West Point but when they show them on TV it looks as if the stadium and surrounding area was pulled from a "what a campus is supposed to feel like during a football Saturday" manual.  I would love to see a game there.

28 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Austin is pretty special, at least it was when they were winning.  However, the upper deck is just slightly closer than watching the game from the surface of the moon.

Clemson is pretty good, same feel in many ways as Auburn.  Death Valley it isn't, though.

Columbia, SC was a pretty bad experience all around.

That's one of the reasons USCe fans get so much credit for being among the best and most passionate in the SEC.  NO built in atmosphere.... They have to create their own 100% and they do a decent job.  In my experience, I respect Gamecock fans.  Stadium's literally located at the corner of a closed farmers market and downtown nothingness... It's a weird place to be sure...

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Golf loves him some Bobby Dodd. Just ask him.

I have heard Golf referred to as the Bobby Dodd of Auburn. Makes sense I guess. :)

Jesus H Christ this is friggin easy........................Grant Field aka Bobby turd Dodd field. Worst fans, worst seating, god awful square design and next to a section of Atlanta you would not be caught in during daylight or dark for sure.

Now I have been to at least 60 different Auburn away game venues I would rate Memorial Stadium at UTx #2 as one of the worst back in the 80's

As for the best  that's also easy Nebraska Memorial Stadium 1981 best away fans hands down. They even clapped and gave a standing ovation as Auburn left the field that day. We lost 17-3 

Went to Vandy's stadium once years ago. I liked it seemed to be right on top of the action. Simply hate Sanford stadium in Athens, if you're 30 rows up you are in a different zip code from the field. Been to all the original SEC stadiums before A&M, and Missouri joined. Although not crazy about Neyland, Tennessee was always my favorite away trip.

Archived