First play vs Clemson

StuntMan06

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Fake the dive only to have Sean hide the ball long enough for one of the receivers to get clear (straight out of the 2009 playbook) and then hit him with a perfect pass for a touchdown.

This is my favorite so far. I'll send this to Gus. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hand off to KJ up the gut to calm the nerves. I will be shocked if SW throws the ball on the first play.

What if he throws it to the TE? That would surprise Clemson. That would surprise everyone. 

25 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Hand off to KJ up the gut to calm the nerves. I will be shocked if SW throws the ball on the first play.

What if he throws it to the TE? That would surprise Clemson. That would surprise everyone. 

I'd bet that would go for 6!

33 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Especially because there's very little chance there will be a Tight End in the game on the first play, since our only Tight End on the depth chart is listed as a back-up to our H-Back... It could be a pass to the H-Back though.  I wouldn't mind that.

13 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Just know, that of we do this, it will go for 20+ yards; then we will not see that TE for the remainder of the game...

JF3 lines up at receiver and takes a reverse handoff. I hope.

Frankly that has a better chance of being the first play of the SECOND half since I think Gus will again be slow to open his playbook - which may not work against this opponent - so halftime score will lead to his giving himself a halftime speech to open things up.

I say we test those defensive ends and new secondary by running right at them the first few plays. We need to stay away from the interior lineman until we get some pace started and soften them up a bit.

15 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I say we test those defensive ends and new secondary by running right at them the first few plays. We need to stay away from the interior lineman until we get some pace started and soften them up a bit.

Cole Cubelic has a video demonstrating his thoughts on Auburn's attack on Clemson.

9 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Cole Cubelic has a video demonstrating his thoughts on Auburn's attack on Clemson.

The only flaw that I see with this is that the teams that they highlighted to view these difficulties were both Pro-Style offenses with Man-Blocking Schemes as their base. It's a well known fact that when playing a team that doesn't utilize zone blocking, defenders are going to play up a bit more aggressively and leave space in the backfield because Man-blocking schemes require the linemen to get a hat on a specific number then and there. That means that crowding the LOS or getting the jump allows your to cause your man to miss his assignment which cripples a man-blocking scheme which seeks to overwhelm with one on one power  tactics. That being said, I don't think their defense plays us that way for a few reasons:

1. We don't run the traditional power run. We run a power read. It has the aspects of a power where there is multiple backfield blocking presence, or rather an extra back. However, at the same time, it has the zone read built into it. This means that defensively backers and safeties are going to naturally hesitate a bit more and rather than creep up to the line, try and create levels in case the QB pulls it. I don't know a DC who would be stupid enough to flatten out his defenders across a line with a power-read team. This play works in Auburn's favor however because it prevents overload looks and keeps the defense honest so to speak. 

2. Because we don't run a traditional pro-style we will never align in the "dot" or the I, defenses don't have that luxury of crowding the LOS as you would when playing in the I or "Showing Power" It'd be rare to have them play such a run heavy defense except in those rare occasions where we are in an offset 2 back set or Christmas Tree look. Still, defenses don't have THAT clear of a bead on what we are doing based on formation, to our credit, and in this case, detriment, we are pretty balanced from a formation standpoint. Though there are some times that we love to play the spacing game and line up dangerously close to one sideline leaving a tremendous amount of field and ISO for a receiver and corner. THAT is pretty telltale at times. 

Archived