Colin Kaepernick answers his critics

aujeff11

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Robinson died almost 44 years ago.

My God, you're right. I have been seeing this all wrong. So oppressed are people of color! But hopefully with some courageous people like Colin, America may even one day have a black president ! 

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kwren34 said:

I'm sure i could take the time to find someone's opinion that is more valid than Jerry Rice's. However, @aujeff11 did that on the last page. Jackie Robinson had the same stance as Kaepernick, and Robinson is more loved in sports lore than Jerry Rice. What's your point?

1. When you typed, "I forgot that Jerry Rice has the ultimate say on race relations..." I inferred that you thought that Jerry Rice didn't have much of a reason to give his opinion. If that is not what you meant then please accept my apology.

2. Jerry Rice played in the same sport for the same team and is at least as black as Kaepernick. Rice understands 49ers fans and NFL fans and the current landscape of racism and oppression FAR better than Jackie Robinson does. (Especially since Rice is living). THAT'S why Jerry Rice's opinion matters.

3. I don't know what Jackie Robinson has to do with any of this. Let me know what he Tweeted on the subject.

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

Jerry Rice played in the same sport for the same team and is at least as black as Kaepernick. Rice understands 49ers fans and NFL fans and the current landscape of racism and oppression FAR better than Jackie Robinson does. (Especially since Rice is living). THAT'S why Jerry Rice's opinion matters.

What a dumb argument. Rice's opinion isn't any greater than the late Jackie Robinson or the current Kaepernick. 

19 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

So because the quote was 50 years ago means that it has no validity today? I was unaware that quotes had expiration dates. I guess we can throw out the Bible or any historical text from over 50 years ago. Also, MLK died before "any lasting changes of the civil rights movement". Are his quotes invalid as well?

When, exactly, did I compare what CK did to what JR did? All I did was say that JR had similar thoughts as CK and backed it up with a link.

So nothing haz changed in 50 years? Great. That's just great. 

5 minutes ago, Grumps said:

2. Jerry Rice played in the same sport for the same team and is at least as black as Kaepernick. Rice understands 49ers fans and NFL fans and the current landscape of racism and oppression FAR better than Jackie Robinson does. (Especially since Rice is living). THAT'S why Jerry Rice's opinion matters.

Is America more racist now than it was when Jackie Robinson played? I'd say that Jackie Robinson has a far better understanding of oppression and racism than Jerry Rice does. THAT'S why Jackie Robinson's thoughts on standing for the National Anthem matters.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What a dumb argument. Rice's opinion isn't any greater than the late Jackie Robinson or the current Kaepernick. 

Jackie Robinson never heard of Colin Kaepernick!!! Why don't just get MLK Jr.'s and Nelson Mandela's opinions then we can just stop discussing it completely. 

8 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Jackie Robinson never heard of Colin Kaepernick!!! Why don't just get MLK Jr.'s and Nelson Mandela's opinions then we can just stop discussing it completely. 

This is why we can't have nice stuff.

32 minutes ago, kwren34 said:

So because the quote was 50 years ago means that it has no validity today? I was unaware that quotes had expiration dates. I guess we can throw out the Bible or any historical text from over 50 years ago. Also, MLK died before "any lasting changes of the civil rights movement". Are his quotes invalid as well?

When, exactly, did I compare what CK did to what JR did? All I did was say that JR had similar thoughts as CK and backed it up with a link.

You didn't say similar thoughts, you laughably typed Jackie Robinson agrees with Colin Kaepernick. Which prompted me to ask about the hotline to heaven since ya know... Jackie's been dead since before colon was born.

And again, you equate what I said wrong. expiration dates as you put it, does happen when you try to pull things out of history and place them into future arguments, it is not 100% but it is pretty damn obvious to anyone with a brain that it does happen. Hence my example of telling you TODAY that the USSR is a great threat to America, and then pulling up old ass quotes from the cold war to prove my point. Quotes from the cold war would offer no validity to my argument made today, in 2016 about the USSR.

14 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Much more relevant than Jackie Robinson!

I doubt Jim could point out the oppression that Colin is talking about. Does anyone have any specifics?  I know Jim doesn't want to talk about violence against women. But he'll talk about this so-called oppression that nobody seems to know where the hell exist. 

25 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

"I don't know what the big issue is, because this young man in backing up his statement, becomes stronger in my mind," Brown said. "Now if you ask me 'Would I do that?' No I won't, because I see it a little differently.

"I'm an American citizen. I pay my taxes. I want my equal rights. But this is my country, and consequently I don't want to open up for ISIS or anybody that will take away what we've already gained." Jim Browns quotes.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sounds like what one dude was saying earlier in the thread, that a lot of people are misinterpreting. That people are arguing that protesting in general should not be allowed, and colon is wrong for doing it.

33 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

That people are arguing that protesting in general should not be allowed,

Who has argued this? Nobody

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Much more relevant than Jackie Robinson!

How? Because he was born fifteen years after Robinson? 

Do you not see the relevance in mentioning that Kaepernick is following his precedent? Are you saying that Jackie Robinson was right to refuse to stand and salute the flag but Kaepernick disrespected it? When Robinson said this in 1972, would you tell him to leave the country too?

43 minutes ago, alexava said:

i need Colin to define "oppression"

I think that's a reasonable approach.  I think everyone needs to take a couple of deep breaths and talk to people more.  Ask (in a non-accusatory manner) questions to find out why they think what they think and feel the way they feel about the matter.  

I think simply sitting is a rather mild form of protest.  He's not being demonstrative or making a spectacle.  He's not interrupting or interfering with anyone else from participating.  I just think you'd be amazed how much better it might be if when confronted with someone doing something like this that strikes us as odd or rubs us the wrong way, to simply talk to them and say, "Can I ask you about why you <insert action or protest>?  I don't know that we're on the same page but I'd be interested in hearing about your reasons for it."  You don't have to change your mind in the end, but at least you can have an actual conversation rather than just stew and get angry from afar.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Do you not see the relevance in mentioning that Kaepernick is following his precedent? Are you saying that Jackie Robinson was right to refuse to stand and salute the flag but Kaepernick disrespected it? When Robinson said this in 1972, would you tell him to leave the country too?

I think we are arguing two different things. Kwren (in my opinion) was bashing Jerry Rice for giving his opinion on the Kaepernick situation and implied that Jerry Rice was not qualified to give an opinion on race relations. When Kwren said "race relations" I interpreted that to mean race relations that Kaepernick was referring to.  I feel that since Jerry Rice is a very well-respected black man who played in the same sport, in the same town, for the same team that he knows better than almost anyone the pressures that a player like Kaepernick faces every day and has an opinion that most NFL fans would value.

I have tremendous respect for Jackie Robinson and what he endured. I have not intended to say ANYTHING about Robinson's refusal to stand and salute the flag because I am ignorant about that situation. I just don't think that Robinson's opinion about Kaepernick is relevant because it is sheer speculation since Robinson is dead. Jim Brown has a more relevant opinion about Kaepernick because he is alive and knows about the situation. I still think that Jerry Rice would understand things better, but that is only my opinion.

I never asked anyone to leave the country or to stay in it. I still think that Kaepernick should use this platform to try to solve some issues. I hope this helps.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Who has argued this? Nobody

You cut my post off, I referred to;

I think many people are conflating two different issues:  whether they agree with his particular reasoning and whether they believe one should ever refuse to stand for the national anthem.     ~TitanTiger

His post earlier. Again it was... or should have been extremely easy for you to know what I was talking about, especially since you "liked" this post from titan that I referred to (even though I referenced Titan as "dude").

Then again, aren't you the dumb-ass veteran who assumes all veterans are stupid because you are? :lol:

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Sooo missing the point. It's not the 15 years between births. It's the fact that Jackie is not here to speak about the landscape of American race relations in 2016. Nor can he speak on how it has evolved since 2000, nor can he speak on the changes since 1990, nor can he weigh in differences since the 1970's... ya know since he's been dead for 40+ years.

11 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Whether They believe one should ever refuse to stand for the national anthem.

And 

3 hours ago, Mims44 said:

That people are arguing that protesting in general should not be allowed 

Are not synonymous statements, DA. One is specific, and as you said, the other is "in general,"

11 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Then again, aren't you the dumb-ass veteran who assumes all veterans are stupid because you are? :lol:

Oh simpleton. I never even said this. When you have to exaggerate and distort my argument just because you don't agree with it,  everybody sees how pathetic you are.

7 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Sooo missing the point. It's not the 15 years between births. It's the fact that Jackie is not here to speak about the landscape of American race relations in 2016. Nor can he speak on how it has evolved since 2000, nor can he speak on the changes since 1990, nor can he weigh in differences since the 1970's... ya know since he's been dead for 40+ years.

He didn't like the national anthem in 1972( not a period of segregation) but you think he would now?

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

And 

Are not synonymous statements. DA

Oh simpleton. I never even said this. When you have to exaggerate and distort my argument just because you don't agree with it,  everybody sees how pathetic you are.

This is why I color coded before, now quoting you looks ridiculous. Not standing for the flag is a form of protest, and titan was right that there are always people arguing two separate points on these topics. One if the person involved was right in what they were doing, and another group arguing for or against the persons right to protest. Whether it is not standing for, burning, standing on, flying the flag upside down.

1 minute ago, Mims44 said:

This is why I color coded before, now quoting you looks ridiculous. Not standing for the flag is a form of protest, and titan was right that there are always people arguing two separate points on these topics. One if the person involved was right in what they were doing, and another group arguing for or against the persons right to protest. Whether it is not standing for, burning, standing on, flying the flag upside down.

Most of the posters I've seen on here have said" he had the right to do it but he is an idiot." I think the two points are covered right there. What's the issue?

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He didn't like the national anthem in 1972( not a period of segregation) but you think he would now?

It is impossible for me to know (or anyone else) what a man who died so long ago would think or say if he had been around experiencing all that has happened from his death day to today.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Most of the posters I've seen on here have said" he had the right to do it but he is an idiot." I think the two points are covered right there. What's the issue?

So now you haven't seen or read the tons of "blatant disrespect! kick him out of the country!" Or any of the other myriad of different responses easily construed as people being against protesting in any way they dislike (which is whatever way people protest).

Archived