The calm before the storm

RunInRed

Words cannot express how much I want Auburn to brick in the North and South endzones. The East side of the stadium looks clean. Polished. Beautiful. The north side looks unfinished and out of place. Same goes for the South side. I know that the North side expansion is on the table, but I cannot wait for that side to be bricked in. My $.02.

I just hope none of those drones were flying over spying practices.  I noticed Gus said he was gonna be on the lookout for spies.  I wonder what prompted him to say that?

What happened to the big pictures they were supposed to put on the back of the new screen? Still nothing to cover that metalwork?

Heart broken I couldn't get season tickets for the first time in 6 years. I'll be there in spirit though! War Eagle. 

Beautiful video and I continue to be amazed at the campus improvements....and how compact the campus appears.  Back in the day, there was open space all around the stadium....tennis courts on one side and the ROTC drill field took up a full city block I think plus space where the ROTC hut was located too.   Great work by the schools leadership to bring AU to where it is today.

Thanks for the vid.

I know I am in a minority here, but I wish they would just encircle the entire upper deck. Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and Tennessee all seat over 100k. Georgia and Florida also seat more than JHS. 

I understand we don't have to be like those 100k+ stadiums, but just think about the excitement that 87k fans bring. Just think if we could pack 15k more fans into the stadium... It would truly be a madhouse. 

Like I said I know I'm in the minority. But it just eerks me seeing those schools upgrade their stadiums and going over 100k while we continue to sit under 90k. Think about it. 10k-15k more fans would bring so much more money for the university...

That being said WDE! I can't wait for Saturday!!! 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Beautiful video and I continue to be amazed at the campus improvements....and how compact the campus appears.  Back in the day, there was open space all around the stadium....tennis courts on one side and the ROTC drill field took up a full city block I think plus space where the ROTC hut was located too.   Great work by the schools leadership to bring AU to where it is today.

Thanks for the vid.

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I paused the video, a couple of times, and surveyed the landscape taking note of all the buildings that was not there in the late 80's, early 90's.  I used to park in large grass field on the other side of the stadium and walk to class.  My girlfriend's mom was an instructor during the summer at AU and had a faculty tag.  I got to use it a couple of time and parked right behind Haley Center.  I thought it would never get any better than that...................lol.....oh, the memories.

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I know I am in a minority here, but I wish they would just encircle the entire upper deck. Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and Tennessee all seat over 100k. Georgia and Florida also seat more than JHS. 

I understand we don't have to be like those 100k+ stadiums, but just think about the excitement that 87k fans bring. Just think if we could pack 15k more fans into the stadium... It would truly be a madhouse. 

Like I said I know I'm in the minority. But it just eerks me seeing those schools upgrade their stadiums and going over 100k while we continue to sit under 90k. Think about it. 10k-15k more fans would bring so much more money for the university...

That being said WDE! I can't wait for Saturday!!! 

Problem would be selling those seats. There are too few sellouts as it is.

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

Problem would be selling those seats. There are too few sellouts as it is.

Do you not think if we were not playing people like Jax State, Arkansas State, and Alabama A&M, and replaced them with people like Washington, Illinois, and Boston College that those games would be sell outs? I am not saying those teams exactly, just that we could play the "lesser" teams from the main conferences rather than playing the small schools... Or are the Tennessee, LSU, Bama, and Texas A&M fans just better than ours? I'm sorry but if other teams in the SEC have no problem filling up 100k, WHY WOULD WE? I'm not saying you are wrong. I also know there is zero chance JJ does something like that with the schedule, it simply blows me away that it can be an advantage to those other SEC schools, but we couldn't fill the stadium... 

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Do you not think if we were not playing people like Jax State, Arkansas State, and Alabama A&M, and replaced them with people like Washington, Illinois, and Boston College that those games would be sell outs? I am not saying those teams exactly, just that we could play the "lesser" teams from the main conferences rather than playing the small schools... Or are the Tennessee, LSU, Bama, and Texas A&M fans just better than ours? I'm sorry but if other teams in the SEC have no problem filling up 100k, WHY WOULD WE? I'm not saying you are wrong. I also know there is zero chance JJ does something like that with the schedule, it simply blows me away that it can be an advantage to those other SEC schools, but we couldn't fill the stadium... 

There's an entire thread dedicated to JHS stadium renovation that's been in existence for a very long time.  The AU "Money" folks don't trust Jay Jacobs to oversee the project, period.  So it's not going to happen any time soon.

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

There's an entire thread dedicated to JHS stadium renovation that's been in existence for a very long time.  The AU "Money" folks don't trust Jay Jacobs to oversee the project, period.  So it's not going to happen any time soon.

Makes perfect sense. Enough said. Thank you @keesler

19 hours ago, jared52 said:

What happened to the big pictures they were supposed to put on the back of the new screen? Still nothing to cover that metalwork?

They could never get the "temporary" canvases/tarps right ... either from a graphic/looks perspective nor from a durability stand point - every storm/strong wind brought another rip.  So, the decision was made just to leave them open until a more permanent solution is in place - likely, LED screens.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

JMO but compare the schools......big "the state universities" located in large metro areas with a state-wide fan base that never attended the schools.  We aren't those schools in my view and never will be.    JHS fits Auburn and the AU campus and the worst reason i can think of to add seats is because some other school has done it. 

And with every game on TV and tickets at $100.....attendance will be going down over the years IMO and playing Wash or ill or BC will likely not make any difference.  As for selling out those games....we just barely sold out Clemson, the #2 team and bet they bought up 20,000 tickets.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

JMO but compare the schools......big "the state universities" located in large metro areas with a state-wide fan base that never attended the schools.  We aren't those schools in my view and never will be.    JHS fits Auburn and the AU campus and the worst reason i can think of to add seats is because some other school has done it. 

And with every game on TV and tickets at $100.....attendance will be going down over the years IMO and playing Wash or ill or BC will likely not make any difference.  As for selling out those games....we just barely sold out Clemson, the #2 team and bet they bought up 20,000 tickets.

We are not even sold out for Clemson. Got an email today giving me the option to buy 2 additional tickets.

4 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

We are not even sold out for Clemson. Got an email today giving me the option to buy 2 additional tickets.

So did did I and I thought the email was a freaking mistake from the ticket office.  I had no idea we couldn't sell out a prime-time season opener vs the #2 ranked NC runner up at night in JHS.

What the hell AU fans?>:(

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

So did did I and I thought the email was a freaking mistake from the ticket office.  I had no idea we couldn't sell out a prime-time season opener vs the #2 ranked NC runner up at night in JHS.

What the hell AU fans?>:(

It's 2016, dropping $200 for tickets (not to mention the cost of gas and food if you *just* make a day of it) in the upper deck doesn't feel like money well spent. We could have a wonderful discussion about the eroding middle class and lack of disposable income. 

The $100.00 price tag makes it hard for most to stomach when you can watch it on a 55 inch TV with friends.

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The $100.00 price tag makes it hard for most to stomach when you can watch it on a 55 inch TV with friends.

Agreed.  Ticket prices are getting out of control all over the country. My wife and I have stopped going to a lot of things that we used to, because it's just not worth the money.

Plus a lot of people are taking a wait & see approach to the season.  $100/ticket seems even more expensive when you look at last year.

Archived