2016 Week 1 Depth Chart (MERGED)

AUtigers2324

Auburn released the Depth Chart released for Saturday's game against Clemson ...

image.jpg
via @AUBlog

Free guess by Rivals [PRIOR TO OFFICIAL BEING RELEASED - OP UPDATED]

Projected Depth Chart: Offense

Doi9behsovtr8fxgvfbg

CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS ITERATION:

1.) Promoted Ryan Davis to starter at WR over Jason Smith.

2.) Promoted Kam Pettway to starter at RB over Kerryon Johnson.

3.) Promoted Marquel Harrell to 2nd-team LG over Tyler Carr.

4.) Promoted Jeremy Johnson to 2nd-team QB.Consolidated H and TE, which moves Landon Rice on the depth chart.

NOTES/THINGS TO CONSIDER: 

1.) Some Bunker members can't handle having more than 11 starters named despite Auburn having more than 11 positions when you take differentiations like "small 3" vs. "big 3" into account. As such, we have to scramble the wideouts more than we'd like. We're intentionally being nebulous about which WR spot is 9, 2, 5 and instead we're focusing on who runs with 1st, 2nd, 3rd units. Slayton, for example, plays a different position than Tony Stevens yet works more with the 2nd-team offense. Eli Stove also plays ahead of Stanton Truitt outside, but Truitt plays a specialized position (small 3) and we can't list that as a true position.

2.) The RBs are interchangeable for the most part, but we think Pettway is 1 and Kerryon Johnson is 1a.

3.) Mike Horton probably is the first guy off the bench at LT, LG, RG, RT.

Projected Depth Chart: Defense

Vjvkxdkf1hvpg7kjjzcw

CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS ITERATION:

1.) Removed DE Raashed Kennion. (quit the team)

2.) Removed CB Jamel Dean. (knee injury)

3.) Removed S Stephen Roberts. (disciplinary)

4.) Promoted Josh Holsey to starter at safety.

5.) Promoted Derrick Brown to 2nd-team defense.

6.) Promoted Marlon Davidson to 2nd-team defense.

7.) Removed (brackets) for Marshall Taylor since he's now practicing.

NOTES/THINGS TO CONSIDER:

1.) We're struggling to nail down at a depth chart at SDE. All three guys will play.

2.) Bryan and I are split on Holsey starting at safety with Roberts out, but Holsey's experience is too much to ignore for a game against Clemson.

3.) Darrell Williams is playing with the first-team defense as often as T.J. Neal in practice, so both of those guys look like potential starters. We're going with Neal purely due to the experience factor. Williams will play a lot. Also look for him as a blitzer.

4.) Roberts was arrested last week for possession of an unlicensed firearm and eluding police. We anticipate some type of suspension to be handed down.

Trying to decide if it's good or bad that none of our WRs from possibly the best WR recruiting class ever really don't seem to be challenging for starting positions.

Obviously that could change as the year goes on, but I thought at least one of them would be pushing for some serious playing time from the beginning.

21 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Trying to decide if it's good or bad that none of our WRs from possibly the best WR recruiting class ever really don't seem to be challenging for starting positions.

Obviously that could change as the year goes on, but I thought at least one of them would be pushing for some serious playing time from the beginning.

JMO but they will get serous playing time but you can't underestimate the value of experience. 

• Like 1

That SDE position looks stacked. Great to see that Cowart has came on strong to push for playing time.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but they will get serous playing time but you can't underestimate the value of experience. 

But do any of the projected starters really have much experience outside of Marcus Davis? That's why it's puzzling to me to not even see any currently considered 2nd string. This is also from rivals and not the coaches so they could be way off as well.

6 minutes ago, CR said:

That SDE position looks stacked. Great to see that Cowart has came on strong to push for playing time.

The entire DL looks stacked. That's as legit a 2 deep as I've ever seen on paper. Now they just need to show it on the field.

• Like 1

Secondary has the chance to be a real strong suite.  Look out for Darrell Williams at linebacker.  If Marlin Davidson and Derrick Brown both become sound back ups then we win bug this season

I think our defense can play with any team in the SEC and beyond. I see this group averaging around 325 yards per game against them and around 17.5 points scored against them. We do this and the offense comes around for this season with averaging 450 yards per game, we will be in the thick of things with a solid chance of a major bowl game and who knows what else. I do not see this as pumping sunshine, but embracing the reality of what this team is capable of.

I think we will see KJ getting as many carries as Pettway. Cam Martin will have to play due to our diminished number of RBs. I think JFIII will be on the field with the wildcat position or as a decoy of sorts. I do think we will see a good deal of our recruiting class WRs throughout the season. It will be fun to see how it all plays out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WDEKC said:

They are true freshmen. Give it time. One or two might receive a lot of PT this season and show out

6 hours ago, WDEKC said:

Yeah as others have said, its extremely difficult for a true freshman to walk in the door in July or August and waltz into a starting role over guys who have been in the program 3 and 4 years. Don't fret, they WILL play. And it wouldn't surprise me if one or two end up starting before the end of the year.

Just my opinion but if a freshman starts it will be NCM at WR. Not saying Davis won't play but he did just come back from injury and coaches have already said their only concern is his conditioning. Also, the coaches have praised NCM on how well he has picked up on blocking which to me indicates a good chance of starting. 

• Like 1

If I remember Lashlee's interview on Sunday, the official depth chart is being released today

I understand they are just freshman, but other programs across the country seem to get some pretty good production out of freshmen WR. A certain program across the state has had 3 different WRs have BIG freshman years in the last 8 years.

And maybe one of ours does this year, but I would expect at least one of them to be considered in the 2 deep on a depth chart at this point. It's not like we are bringing back Duke and Sammie this year.

Edited by WDEKC

10 hours ago, WDEKC said:

But do any of the projected starters really have much experience outside of Marcus Davis? That's why it's puzzling to me to not even see any currently considered 2nd string. This is also from rivals and not the coaches so they could be way off as well.

Stevens is a senior and has played in 28 games...Ryan Davis....not so much but has good credential from his HS days and played off and on last season as a freshman....any experience against SEC opponents is valuable.  My only thought is that the Davis guys are small.....

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Just my opinion but if a freshman starts it will be NCM at WR. Not saying Davis won't play but he did just come back from injury and coaches have already said their only concern is his conditioning. Also, the coaches have praised NCM on how well he has picked up on blocking which to me indicates a good chance of starting. 

IMHO, Eli Stove is right up there with NCM. It wouldn't surprise me at all if both of those guys are starting before the end of the year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Stevens is a senior and has played in 28 games...Ryan Davis....not so much but has good credential from his HS days and played off and on last season as a freshman....any experience against SEC opponents is valuable.  My only thought is that the Davis guys are small.....

Stevens has 19 receptions in 3 years. Maybe the light finally came on, but I wouldn't consider him a proven player.

7 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Stevens has 19 receptions in 3 years. Maybe the light finally came on, but I wouldn't consider him a proven player.

He's a senior and played in more than 20 games.....just not a target perhaps...but compare that to freshmen who have mostly played against 5'8 DBs in high schools in front of a couple 1000 fans.     Stevens has probably earned the starting job...or he would not have it....JMO.  The young guys will get their chance but not starting....spot play perhaps.     I would be much more concerned if we did not have the Davis guys and Stevens but I'm happy that we have the experience available....to give the younger guys a chance to play and develop.

Just saying that experience is underappreciated

Edited by AU64

11 hours ago, WDEKC said:

They are. And all but Davis should play Saturday. Would not be surprised to see NCM start.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think we will see KJ getting as many carries as Pettway. Cam Martin will have to play due to our diminished number of RBs. I think JFIII will be on the field with the wildcat position or as a decoy of sorts. I do think we will see a good deal of our recruiting class WRs throughout the season. It will be fun to see how it all plays out.

Cam is going to play because Cam is one heck of a back. I hear he has been very very impressive. 

I'm still not worried about the rb's. Horton is a hell of a coach, and Malzahns offense is designed to let running backs eat if they want. Bubba Pettway is going to have a big year! WDE

• Like 1