2016 Week 1 Depth Chart (MERGED)

AUtigers2324

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well AU recruited him strictly as a DB til the last 2 months of his recruitment. The main reason AU made the switch was because DS wanted to be a WR & AU was liking his Senior WR work.

Yeah, I remembered him being  a target at either position, I was just playing "what if" now that Dean is injured and we look thin at that position. Also, seems like the 2 way recruits always end up on the offensive side of the ball :-\

31 minutes ago, SugarBowlSon said:

Next question: what do you think of the Steele hire now that it's almost game time? I will tell you that I always liked him as a person and think he's a really smart guy. My biggest gripe was that I thought either his D was to complex or he got vapor lock on the sidelines. We constantly had lineman standing up looking at the sidelines with their arms out and shoulders raised while the center was over the ball. Always. Players were visibly frustrated.  

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think you're going to get a lot of really good, insightful opinions from Auburn fans on our new coach that's never coached a game for us. If you're generally interested, check back with us in a month or so.

McLoofus is correct.

Take ME for example.  I'm an Auburn fan.  Right now, I like it.  Sunday morning at 1 a.m. EST I'll either HATE it or LOVE it.  But couldn't tell you until then.

Preseason is about expectation, anticipation and (for many of us, at least) excitement!  All this message board stuff for most of us is just to pass the time and for some to flex their preseason knowledge muscles.  That's what makes this fun!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SugarBowlSon said:

Just curious: I know your DLine is scary. Are they better than Bama's last year? I honestly don't know. Bama was the best we faced last year and I think our offense as a whole and particularly our OLine will be better than last year. 

Clemson definitely has the potential to have a better line than last year. When comparing our DLine to bamas versus an OLine that had 14 games to one that is partially starting over and building chemistry in a hostile environment. I see the variables assisting the DLine more, when communication will inevitably break down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SugarBowlSon said:

Next question: what do you think of the Steele hire now that it's almost game time?

Ask me in October. Too soon to tell right now.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 8:18 PM, WDEKC said:

Trying to decide if it's good or bad that none of our WRs from possibly the best WR recruiting class ever really don't seem to be challenging for starting positions.

Obviously that could change as the year goes on, but I thought at least one of them would be pushing for some serious playing time from the beginning.

I see NCM, Stove, and Davis all getting alot of playing time this year. Imo all 3 get more playing time than the guys currently in front of them by the time the season is over. NCM and Stove will both see alot of PT vs Clemson.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ask me in October. Too soon to tell right now.

I will answer this question. IMO the KS hire will work out very good for us. The staff was divided with Muschamp here.  We needed unity from our staff that has carried over to our team as a whole. Make no mistake either Steele knows how to coach defense. There is a reason Saban has hired him so many times.

• Like 2

Well, ya know, Bama had a pretty decent defense last year. Clemson racked up 600+ in yardage on the Tide. In fact, if Clemson had not given up both a 50 yard run by Henry and a 95 yard kickoff return, Clemson would have won that game. Just one breakdown, Clemson still would have won. If Watson can toss for 400+ yards and run for another 70+ on Bama, you just gotta respect that offense.

IMO, you do the best you can to minimize the damage and not totally bleed out on defense. But the only way to beat Clemson is to outscore them. I know Clemson lost some real talent on defense. I also know they recruit well.

The question is not. "how does Auburn stop Clemson?" I don't think you do. The question is, "Can Auburn slow down Clemson enough to outscore them?"

I don't know what kind if magic CGM can conjure offensively, but here's hoping our guys are explosive in all aspects if the game, don't put the ball on the ground, and catch Clemson in a few lapses the way Bama did. If the Auburn O can control the ball, putting together actual drives, thus keeping it out of the hands of Watson, and finish drives with TDs rather than FGs, that would be an effective defensive strategy too.

Possible? Yes, of course it is. It's the first game of the season, at night, in Jordan-Hare.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 2

Realistically, I think Steele is too late in the game to change who he is/has been for the last decade+. I think he is exactly who we, as a fan base, thought he was before he was ever even thought to be in the mix to be hired as DC. Here's to hoping he's changed a bit but I'm not holding my breath. My hope is that he can bring our defense, which has been so bad for so long, just up to average. He certainly has some tools at his disposal but he had even more tools at LSU and they got worse under his leadership. :slapfh:

• Like 2

We're not going to out-scheme Clemson on offense and probably not out-athlete them either. To win, I think we just need to out physical them and make them pay for every inch of turf they earn.  Watson needs to finish EVERY play on the ground.  Receivers need to be alligator arming the balls by the 3rd quarter.  And, the only time in the 2nd half Clemson needs to think about a running play is a draw on 3rd and long, because they know they'll get less than 2 yards any other time they run it.  We do that, at night, in Jordan Hare stadium and I like our chances.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

We're not going to out-scheme Clemson on offense and probably not out-athlete them either. To win, I think we just need to out physical them and make them pay for every inch of turf they earn.  Watson needs to finish EVERY play on the ground.  Receivers need to be alligator arming the balls by the 3rd quarter.  And, the only time in the 2nd half Clemson needs to think about a running play is a draw on 3rd and long, because they know they'll get less than 2 yards any other time they run it.  We do that, at night, in Jordan Hare stadium and I like our chances.

That's right, smash 'em in the mouth and win it in the trenches!

20 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Anyone know if NCMs brother will get playing time? Or is he looking at a redshirt?

RS barring injuries or other things.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

RS barring injuries or other things.

Thanks E. 

I was hoping to see him this season, but if the plan is RS, then I fully trust the "crime dog." 

• 2 weeks later...