2016 Week 1 Depth Chart (MERGED)

AUtigers2324

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Cam is going to play because Cam is one heck of a back. I hear he has been very very impressive. 

The one time number one high school running back in Texas. No reason not to expect something out of him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

The one time number one high school running back in Texas. No reason not to expect something out of him.

Cam not going to be just on the field out of necessity was my point. 

KMart is a stud.  He will be very surprising to a lot of folks. Believe it or not, he would've passed Roc if he was still here IMO.  His signing from Baylor was a huge get.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, WDEKC said:

Trying to decide if it's good or bad that none of our WRs from possibly the best WR recruiting class ever really don't seem to be challenging for starting positions.

Obviously that could change as the year goes on, but I thought at least one of them would be pushing for some serious playing time from the beginning.

My 2 cents... Sometimes coaches will reward upper-classmen who work hard with "titles" (Starter).  However, if there's one position where "being the starter" vs "playing time" is not really important, it's WR.  That position is constantly rotating in and out.  Based on what we've heard, they seem to be practicing well and they're certainly get their chances to win that title this year!

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Cam not going to be just on the field out of necessity was my point. 

Yup. Was just offering some supporting documentation. 

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

What have you heard about the other Kam, Kam Pettway? 

Good back. Lacks some speed but makes up for it with his physical play. AU is ok at RB this year. Need to load up in 2017 IMO. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

They are true freshmen. Give it time. One or two might receive a lot of PT this season and show out

I believe by the end of the season, our top receiver will be one of the freshman.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Good back. Lacks some speed but makes up for it with his physical play. AU is ok at RB this year. Need to load up in 2017 IMO. 

KJ for Heisman 2017

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I believe by the end of the season, our top receiver will be one of the freshman.

Yep. The depth chart is nothing more than an indefinite formality in my opinion. Subject to change at a moment's notice.

10 minutes ago, Charhair said:

KJ for Heisman 2017

In all seriousness, he might be our best offensive player other than maybe one of the guards, at least until one or more of the freshmen receivers get polished up. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In all seriousness, he might be our best offensive player other than maybe one of the guards, at least until one or more of the freshmen receivers get polished up. 

I'm expecting big things from him. He's definitely a guy who can turn something small into a long touchdown. We need more of that type of ability. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm expecting big things from him. He's definitely a guy who can turn something small into a long touchdown. We need more of that type of ability. 

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Also, @McLoofus I think Kerryon is kind of being slept on by most of the media. Hopefully that will change after this season. 

My thing with him is that I can't remember a single negative play, despite him being a true freshman on a crap offense that produced a lot of negative plays. I'm sure he had some, but all I can remember is him making good decisions, protecting the ball, usually following his blocks or taking the right angle or finding the seam or whatever. Good hands catching the ball, good in pass protection... and, yeah, he's fast and nimble. I don't see him being a Sports Center Top 10 type of guy, but I do see him being a cornerstone guy in our offense. And I get the feeling that he has all the off-field intangibles you want in spades. Leader, teammate, student, citizen, blah blah blah, okay, dialing back the man crush now...

48 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is also my belief as well Barnacle. Still sticking with my prediction that the freshman will jump Jason Smith once it is said and done.

49 minutes ago, Charhair said:

KJ for Heisman 2017

Go back and watch highlights of Darren McFadden at Arkansas when Gus was there.  Then watch KJ this year and I think you'll swear that Darren McFadden has suited up for Auburn.

• Like 1

I think at the skill positions we will be fine, despite the unproven talent. More worried about QB and OL, in that order, but cautiously optimistic about those too. Biggest worry is play-calling and putting our talent in a good position to succeed.

I can see a three wr set with Myers and Stove on the outside and Kyle on the inside being a lot like Obamanu, Aromashadu, and Mix. Now that was a good receiving core!

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

He's a senior and played in more than 20 games.....just not a target perhaps...but compare that to freshmen who have mostly played against 5'8 DBs in high schools in front of a couple 1000 fans.     Stevens has probably earned the starting job...or he would not have it....JMO.  The young guys will get their chance but not starting....spot play perhaps.     I would be much more concerned if we did not have the Davis guys and Stevens but I'm happy that we have the experience available....to give the younger guys a chance to play and develop.

Just saying that experience is underappreciated

I think sometimes experience can be over-appreciated as well. Just because somebody has more experience does not mean they should automatically be ahead in a depth chart.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

My 2 cents... Sometimes coaches will reward upper-classmen who work hard with "titles" (Starter).  However, if there's one position where "being the starter" vs "playing time" is not really important, it's WR.  That position is constantly rotating in and out.  Based on what we've heard, they seem to be practicing well and they're certainly get their chances to win that title this year!

This is a good point and probably what is most likely the case

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

They are. And all but Davis should play Saturday. Would not be surprised to see NCM start.

Also good to hear. I haven't kept up much with this position battle so I was a bit surprised to see them at the bottom of this list. As I mentioned before, I'm not sure how accurate this is from rivals. I don't really think of JGT or BMatt as great football minds and really just report based on what info they are given.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is also my belief as well Barnacle. Still sticking with my prediction that the freshman will jump Jason Smith once it is said and done.

Meant to go back to the other thread where we discussed Smith and point out that, according to Rivals, Davis already has. If that holds true, then you will have told me so and I will throw some crow on the grill. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Meant to go back to the other thread where we discussed Smith and point out that, according to Rivals, Davis already has. If that holds true, then you will have told me so and I will throw some crow on the grill. 

Ha I don't care about that at all my dude. I just want to win, win, win.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Go back and watch highlights of Darren McFadden at Arkansas when Gus was there.  Then watch KJ this year and I think you'll swear that Darren McFadden has suited up for Auburn.

I'm not ready to go that far, but I have also brought up the DMac comparisons a few times as far as the comparable skill set. Really, the potential similarities to that '06 Arkansas backfield are striking. 

I'm afraid the wildcat haters- which I don't say as an insult- aren't going to be pleased. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ha I don't care about that at all my dude. I just want to win, win, win.

Haha, I know you don't, and I appreciate it. I am just compelled to acknowledge when I'm wrong, because I sometimes take it a little far in acknowledging when I was right... :)