2016 Week 1 Depth Chart (MERGED)

AUtigers2324

20 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

I expected Holsey to be a starter somewhere on that chart (he is behind Ford at nickel too).  

From what I've heard, he just hasn't been able to get back to 100% since the last injury.

20 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

Surprises (to me) on Offense: Will Hastings is an "OR" starter next to Truitt.

From what I've heard, Will has really come on strong.

I'm surprised no one had mentioned that 4-5 O-line backups are red shirt freshmen. That could bode well for the future.

Edited by lionheartkc

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

From what I've heard, he just hasn't been able to get back to 100% since the last injury.

I'm surprised no one had mentioned that 4-5 O-line backups are red shirt freshmen. That could bode well for the future.

Chemistry will be amazing. At JSU that whole O-Line (with the exception of samuels) last year came in together and they were basically inseparable off the field. It pays off to have O-Line Chemistry.

SN: Sure would have been great to have seen my name on that list for SLB. Man, the feels. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Caleb Kim is backup center. Interesting.

I would imagine this is a scenario that when the entire 2nd O line comes onto the field, Kim would be the center. If there was a scenario where just XD left the game then I believe Golson moves over and we have a new tackle.

I am surprised Jason Smith is not starting.  I was hearing good things about him.  Derrick Brown must be the real deal to be fighting Devaroe Lawrence for the two deep.  I was also surprised that T.J. Neal was not the flat out starting WS Linebacker.  All around I am pretty excited and curious of how the receivers will do.  This is a depth chart that should have people happy.  I think it was wise of Gus to suspend Stephen Roberts as well.  Now I just need to make sure I have all of the jersey numbers memorized.

I think we will get Barber level play from Pettway. He will probably get most of the carries due to his frame and ability to take a pounding.

What can help offset unspectacular RB play (like Barber, who was SOLID but not a game breaker), is that he can double as an effective H-back/blocker when him and Kerryon are in at the same time. Should make it harder to defend since White will not scare defenses very much running the ball but we still have 2 prospective ball carriers back there. 

15 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

then look at the guys committed in this class, future is good.

• Like 2

I agree about the LBs jumping out.  I guess T. Stevens has still not made the jump, unless Slayton has been that good.  What about Will Hastings as an OR with Truitt?  I do not even know who that is, but remember his name mentioned a time or two.  Some of those ORs I guess depend on the formation called.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

SN: Sure would have been great to have seen my name on that list for SLB. Man, the feels. 

I know... we did what we could.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I agree about the LBs jumping out.  I guess T. Stevens has still not made the jump, unless Slayton has been that good.  What about Will Hastings as an OR with Truitt?  I do not even know who that is, but remember his name mentioned a time or two.  Some of those ORs I guess depend on the formation called.

Stand out in high school, walked on at a different position, got thrown in with the WRs on the practice squad, made good. Or something like that. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Stand out in high school, walked on at a different position, got thrown in with the WRs on the practice squad, made good. Or something like that. 

He had 113 catches for 2040 yards and 18.1 yards/catch his senior year in high school. He walked on as a kicker at Auburn.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

KMart is a stud.  He will be very surprising to a lot of folks. Believe it or not, he would've passed Roc if he was still here IMO.  His signing from Baylor was a huge get.

Agree, Martin has some shake and bake, but once he sees the hole, he very quickly gets through it to open space. Roc, had a tendency to shake and bake too much, spinning was his thing. I had hoped Roc was going to be like Cadillac Williams, and am sorry it did not work out for him. Martin may end up being my follow-on Caddy. I can always hope.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Deshaun Davis above Tre Williams floors me. Absolutely floors me. 

Excited for Will Hastings!

I am pretty sure Tre had a nagging injury. I think he will still be the starter.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

WOW.  Marlon Davidson beat out Cowart for a starting spot.  I know the kid is supposed to be good, but I don't think some folks appreciate how hard it is to start on the D-Line day 1 in the SEC.

MD started the spring game over BC. If BC is who he has been reported to be the past couple of months I think then it would be more impressive MD stayed ahead of him.

Edited by ellitor

16 hours ago, CR said:

That SDE position looks stacked. Great to see that Cowart has came on strong to push for playing time.

The whole DL looks stacked. I hope we deliver. Overpowering DL play can make such a difference.

2 hours ago, jcm81 said:

D. Davis and M. Atkinson at LB.  I realize there is an "or" for both, but it's surprising their names are first.

FWIW MA does not surprise me. He has been reported by AU reporters & insiders to have the best LB instincts on the team for nearly a year now. Very happy for DD. He's gone through a lot since missing his whole HS SR year with a knee injury. Both kids can bring tha thump BTW.

Yea Marlon starting is a big deal. Auburn's favorite golden boy defensive end didn't even start for game one as a freshman. Marlon is going to be a good one.

11 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I am pretty sure Tre had a nagging injury. I think he will still be the starter.

10-4, thank you. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Very happy for DD. He's gone through a lot since missing his whole HS SR year with a knee injury. Both kids can bring tha thump BTW.

DD recruited hard for us before he signed, too, right? Love to hear that 2nd part. 

1 hour ago, AcUmen said:

Surprises (to me) on Offense: Will Hastings is an "OR" starter next to Truitt.  Slayton is starting over Stevens.

On Defense: True freshman Marlon Davidson is starting (beast).  Holsey (Sr.) is a backup corner to Davis (Rs Fr).  Ouch.  I expected Holsey to be a starter somewhere on that chart (he is behind Ford at nickel too).  

TS just has not been consistent enough through his AU career. On D, given we are playing Clemson so we will be in the 4-2-5 so there is a very good chance IMO that Holsey starts.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Caleb Kim is backup center. Interesting.

FWIW I still think if XD were to get hurt Golson would move to Center & the OL shuffle with Mike Horton be next man up.