2016 Week 1 Depth Chart (MERGED)

AUtigers2324

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I think we will get Barber level play from Pettway. He will probably get most of the carries due to his frame and ability to take a pounding.

What can help offset unspectacular RB play (like Barber, who was SOLID but not a game breaker), is that he can double as an effective H-back/blocker when him and Kerryon are in at the same time. Should make it harder to defend since White will not scare defenses very much running the ball but we still have 2 prospective ball carriers back there. 

I am biased but I think it will be better than Barber. I don't think it will be game breaker play but Bubba is stronger and will run to the correct hole, something PB struggled with some last season unfortunately.

• Like 2

Just now, ellitor said:

I am biased but I think it will be better than Barber. I don't think it will be game breaker play but Bubba is stronger and will run to the correct hole, something PB struggled with some last season unfortunately.

I hope you're right! That will be a huge help in avoiding 3rd and longs.

Ok. Now tell me why there are discrepancies between the depth chart from the first posting above(which was to be Auburn's release) and the depth chart posted by JGT? (i.e. Pettway over Johnson, D. SLayton over T. Stevens, etc..).

So which one is accurate?

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Ok. Now tell me why there are discrepancies between the depth chart from the first posting above(which was to be Auburn's release) and the depth chart posted by JGT? (i.e. Pettway over Johnson, D. SLayton over T. Stevens, etc..).

So which one is accurate?

I think that the second one is the "official" depth chart, and the first one was a predicted.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I am surprised Jason Smith is not starting.  I was hearing good things about him.  Derrick Brown must be the real deal to be fighting Devaroe Lawrence for the two deep.  I was also surprised that T.J. Neal was not the flat out starting WS Linebacker.  All around I am pretty excited and curious of how the receivers will do.  This is a depth chart that should have people happy.  I think it was wise of Gus to suspend Stephen Roberts as well.  Now I just need to make sure I have all of the jersey numbers memorized.

IMO, Jason Smith lives up to his athlete role as a burner, but he has never struck me as a polished WR. It just seemed so unnatural. I also question the consistency of his hands. 

The last time I was this excited about our D-Line was .........  2012 preseason ..........

I hope for better results! =)

Kudos to Davidson and Slayton for being named the starter. Also, impressed to see Darrell Williams starting.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but I thought Prince Tega the backup at RT was a huge surprise since he just got moved to offense. Has he really progressed that much or is he just a name filler for that slot?

2 minutes ago, dbagwell said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but I thought Prince Tega the backup at RT was a huge surprise since he just got moved to offense. Has he really progressed that much or is he just a name filler for that slot?

I think he's *actually* 3rd behind Horton, b/c Horton is basically the 2 guy at every spot but center... I *think*. But it's still good to see him there. 

15 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Also, impressed to see Darrell Williams starting.

We'll likely have the SAM only start the LSU, Arky, UGA, & Bama games but kudos for him winning that job nontheless.

4 minutes ago, dbagwell said:

Didn't surprise me given his measurables & smarts. He's been at OT since the Spring, long before AU media reported it. Plus we only have 6 guys at OT right now. 1 is a true freshman with an injury in Sammons & Bailey Sharp has struggled by all informed accounts. Heaven forbid it happens but if we get down to a 7th, 8th, or 9th OL used I think Prince T would be in there.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think he's *actually* 3rd behind Horton, b/c Horton is basically the 2 guy at every spot but center... I *think*. But it's still good to see him there. 

Depends if Horton is already being used somewhere IMO & FWIW I think MH is also not the #2 @ LT. I think if Golson went down Leff would move to LT w/ MH coming in at RT.

I look forward to see how much Russell has improved after another year at DT as a soph.

He showed promise last year in spurts.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Depends if Horton is already being used somewhere IMO & FWIW I think MH is also not the #2 @ LT. I think if Golson went down Leff would move to LT w/ MH coming in at RT.

Of course on the first part :) and you're right about the 2nd part, forgot about Leff sliding over. 

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Stevens might be in the top 4 of disappointments recently at the receiver position for us 

More likely that some freshman becomes better and takes his spot than him getting better and taking Slayton's

Unfortunately I think you're right. I hope Tony Stevens he can have a monster season to close out his career, but his clock is ticking and Slayton has pushed past him before his senior year even started. Yikes.

Who rounds out your top 4? In no particular order I gotta say Tim Hawthorne, Deangelo Benton are in the mix with Stevens. TS' offer list was top notch. I know I'm forgetting some -- I also know Tim Hawthorne's was dealt a really bad hand, but at the time he was supposed to be a major game changer for us. Some would put Duke in this conversation I suppose, I'm not sure I am one of those considering the weapon he was for us in 2014. Shaun Kitchens and Antonio Goodwin were expected to do some good things but they were into making dumb decisions.

Edit* I may be confusing Chris Slaughter with Tim Hawthorne but both guys had lots of hype and failed to live up to it.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I don't think dontavious Russell get close to enough press

Hopefully there will be a few under the radar players who are getting plenty of positive press once we're a few games in.  This team has potential written all over it.... especially the D.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hopefully there will be a few under the radar players who are getting plenty of positive press once we're a few games in.  This team has potential written all over it.... especially the D.

I thought Russell and Lawrence outplayed Adams last year.  Seeing Brown move even with Lawrence gives me a good feeling.  This D-Line is going to be a big deal.

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think dontavious Russell get close to enough press

I thought Russell was our most consistent DT last year (still lots of room for improvement), fwiw

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Unfortunately I think you're right. I hope Tony Stevens he can have a monster season to close out his career, but his clock is ticking and Slayton has pushed past him before his senior year even started. Yikes.

Who rounds out your top 4? In no particular order I gotta say Tim Hawthorne, Deangelo Benton are in the mix with Stevens. TS' offer list was top notch. I know I'm forgetting some -- I also know Tim Hawthorne's was dealt a really bad hand, but at the time he was supposed to be a major game changer for us. Some would put Duke in this conversation I suppose, I'm not sure I am one of those considering the weapon he was for us in 2014. Shaun Kitchens and Antonio Goodwin were expected to do some good things but they were into making dumb decisions.

Edit* I may be confusing Chris Slaughter with Tim Hawthorne but both guys had lots of hype and failed to live up to it.

Do I recall that Hawthorne spent most of his career on injured status?   Hard to blame a guy who stayed injured all the time....seems I recall he gave good effort in the few occasions when he was 100%..   Benton was a curiosity but many players who did not live up to hype were rarely at full strength....or in the wrong position....thinking Trovon Reed yet here he is, still chasing a job in the NFL. 

42 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Tiger, the correct answer is..."all those guys". Hadn't thought about Tim Hawthorne in quite some time...

Anyone have an idea as to Cowart's state-of-mind at not being named the starter? Being the top recruit in the nation one year, struggling the next, then by all accounts putting it together in practice and still not being named the starter over a true freshman could be tough to handle.