2016 Week 1 Depth Chart (MERGED)

AUtigers2324

18 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Hey, facetious question here.  Is Cameron Toney still on the team?  Any info on what his deal is?

Expected to rotate, and play on all heavy and goal line packages

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Unfortunately I think you're right. I hope Tony Stevens he can have a monster season to close out his career, but his clock is ticking and Slayton has pushed past him before his senior year even started. Yikes.

Who rounds out your top 4? In no particular order I gotta say Tim Hawthorne, Deangelo Benton are in the mix with Stevens. TS' offer list was top notch. I know I'm forgetting some -- I also know Tim Hawthorne's was dealt a really bad hand, but at the time he was supposed to be a major game changer for us. Some would put Duke in this conversation I suppose, I'm not sure I am one of those considering the weapon he was for us in 2014. Shaun Kitchens and Antonio Goodwin were expected to do some good things but they were into making dumb decisions.

Edit* I may be confusing Chris Slaughter with Tim Hawthorne but both guys had lots of hype and failed to live up to it.

I specified recent cause I don't really know too many before this decade lol...for recently #1 is probably Trovon Reed with #2 being Duke 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

IMO, Jason Smith lives up to his athlete role as a burner, but he has never struck me as a polished WR. It just seemed so unnatural. I also question the consistency of his hands. 

Wouldn't he be similar to Sammie Coats in just running flies the whole time?  It would stretch out the defense and put a strain on their front if he bolts down the field and it is a run play.  Or having someone who can cut like NC Meyers going underneath him since Clemson likes zone defense.    Just a thought that crossed my mind.  I am happy to see youth starting though.  It means good things are going to continue to come for Auburn.  

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn has 3 5'9 receivers!  I hope they are good blockers/high jumpers.

They are not worried about out-jumping anyone...they just need to catch a quick slant and leave the defenders in the rear view mirror.

Edited by AU64

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Wouldn't he be similar to Sammie Coats in just running flies the whole time?  It would stretch out the defense and put a strain on their front if he bolts down the field and it is a run play.  Or having someone who can cut like NC Meyers going underneath him since Clemson likes zone defense.    Just a thought that crossed my mind.  I am happy to see youth starting though.  It means good things are going to continue to come for Auburn.  

Speed wise yes. However, Sammie Coates showed the ability to get up and catch the ball between two defenders, even though he is a notorious body catcher. I haven't seen that ability from Jason Smith. Sammie was also a physical specimen when it came to strength. He could manhandle corners.

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

They are not worried about out-jumping anyone...they just need to catch a quick slant and leave the defenders in the rear view mirror.

We need to throw a quick slant some. Does anyone remember the last time slants were if ever, a staple in Gus' O?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We need to throw a quick slant some. Does anyone remember the last time slants were if ever, a staple in Gus' O?

We tried a couple to Duke but he flat out quit on the plays because he didn't want to get hit. I want to say Ricardo did the same a time or 2 also. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn has 3 5'9 receivers!  I hope they are good blockers/high jumpers.

Ryan Davis has big play ability. I think he is the most lethal of the three. Marcus Davis has made some clutch receptions for us through the 2013 and 2014 seasons. The 3rd guy I'm assuming is Stanton Truitt? He has speed but has been hurt a lot so Idk what he's capable of at the moment.

I really hope these freshmen WRs pan out. Even if it's not this year, it'll be great to have homerun threats outside of the backfield 

I honestly think we see the coaches at least try and give KJ the majority of the carries too, or at least split the carries evenly to have one of the two super fresh for late in the game.

i also think that some of the stuff about Cowart taking time to adjust are completely accurate. Not that it's a bad thing but he was able to completely man handle anyone in high school. I expect we see great things out of him before he leaves auburn but he may end up a 4 year player, imo. 

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Slants of whatever, I would like to see a little Corey Coleman deja vu.   https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-corey-coleman-an-draft/

Just now, ellitor said:

Agreed. It hasn't been a Gus staple though.

True but he's got more pretty good WRs than he's ever had and IMO,a QB in SW who should be ideal for those quick darts.....

Will be interesting to watch Hastings play. Kid is very smart but very small. Not a lot of natural talent, but has super glue hands, runs great routes and knows how to get open quick.

12 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

Will be interesting to watch Hastings play. Kid is very smart but very small. Not a lot of natural talent, but has super glue hands, runs great routes and knows how to get open quick.

For those who have never seen his highlights...

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

Think I've said this in the past, but I got to meet him before down at the beach in Florida a couple years back. He was really cool. 

We threw a slant against UGA last year and JJ threw it behind and over the reciever straight to the Db.  Slants are short yardage plays.  Auburn's big receiver is 6'2 so not that big.  I remember Florida eating our lunch in 2000 because we had 2 short dbs and grossman kept throwing it over them to his tall receivers.  Rb or kicker is the only position I feel like a playmaker can be less than 5'11.  Davis had one great catch against TaMu on a wheel route.  

Edited by Win4AU

Guys who the heck is Will Hastings? I've seen he walked on as a kicker after putting up 2k+ yards as a WR... But we have some real talent, albeit unproven talent, but talent at WR. Seeing him being even mentioned in the same breath NCM, Stove, Smith...  This just absolutely floors me...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

We threw a slant against UGA last year and JJ threw it behind and over the reciever straight to the Db.  Slants are short yardage plays.  Auburn's big receiver is 6'2 so not that big.  I remember Florida eating our lunch in 2000 because we had 2 short dbs and grossman kept throwing it over them to his tall receivers.  Rb or kicker is the only position I feel like a playmaker can be less than 5'11.  Davis had one great catch against TaMu on a wheel route.  

You may have a point. I just looked at the top 40 WRs statistically from last year. Only 8 were below 5'11" & only 2 were from P5 schools. 1 of the 7 WRs we have 6'0" or taller may have to step up for our O to be truly succesful.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

For those who have never seen his highlights...

Never mind. The answer to my question. He looks like he could be a great security blanket for Sean White. I want to see this kid out there on 3rd down passing situations. Anyone know if he can block? It would be hard to imagine considering his small size... But this video already showed me he can do things I didn't think he could...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Guys who the heck is Will Hastings? I've seen he walked on as a kicker after putting up 2k+ yards as a WR... But we have some real talent, albeit unproven talent, but talent at WR. Seeing him being even mentioned in the same breath NCM, Stove, Smith...  This just absolutely floors me...

Look up 3 & 4 posts from your OP

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Davis had a catch against Arky St when Marshall was struggling completing passes in early 2013, the Tamu game, and a great catch against ole miss in 2014. He also had a key punt return against Memphis. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

trindon holliday, wes welker, and steve smith say hello...and that's just off the top of my head...

But overall I agree with you. I hate seeing us sign 5'9 WRs and DBs.