danny sheridan says auburn wins ten with franklin

aubiefifty

Auburn could win 10 games with John Franklin III at QB, says oddsmaker Danny Sheridan

1 / 43

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com By Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 30, 2016 at 4:28 PM, updated August 30, 2016 at 4:51 PM
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
513 shares

Oddsmaker Danny Sheridan appeared on The Paul Finebaum Show Tuesday afternoon and said he had Auburn winning 10 games this season had junior college transfer John Franklin III been named the team's starting quarterback.

"With Franklin starting — I thought he was going to be that good," Sheridan said. "And again, I said the same thing when Nick Marshall was the quarterback, and Cam Newton, because I was told how great those two athletes were at the quarterback position. Well, I thought Franklin would do it. But yes, 10 games."

After a three-man quarterback battle that lasted through spring and fall camp, Tigers head coach Gus Malzahn named redshirt sophomore Sean White his starting quarterback over Franklin and returning senior Jeremy Johnson last week. Franklin has been praised for his speed since his arrival in January, but his size and accuracy have come into question.

On Tuesday Malzahn said there's a "good chance" all three quarterbacks will play in 2016. Franklin and Johnson are listed as co-backups to White on the Week 1 depth chart, which was released Tuesday morning.

Check out Auburn's full depth chart

Check out Auburn's full depth chart

Check out the full depth chart for the Tigers

On Sunday Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said the plan for Franklin is for him to continue to receive reps at quarterback. He has been pleased with his progress, but also indicated the Tigers may be willing to use him on other spots of the field.

"We'll just continue to try and bring (Franklin) along," Lashlee said. "He is a phenomenal athlete. So any way we can use him to try and help, we will, but right now he's still playing quarterback."

Could John Franklin III change positions?

Could John Franklin III change positions?

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee touched on Franklin Sunday afternoon.

Auburn opens the season with five home games in a row, beginning Saturday against No. 2 Clemson at 8 p.m. With White under center, Sheridan is still confident the Tigers will be able to bounce back from a disappointing 7-6 finish in 2015.

"This year, I'd say nine (Auburn wins) games, which I guess is a surprise," Sheridan said. "I don't know if it is or isn't. I don't think it is, but if I'm wrong and they have another average season, I think the odds clearly say there will be a new coaching search at Auburn."

Listen to Sheridan's comments in the clip below.

I do not necessarily agree but, I do see his point.  JFIII theoretically should give the AU offense an identity that it is confident in and, comfortable with.  With SW, there is always the chance that our offense looks like it did last year, an offense searching for confidence, identity, consistency.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What does this even mean considering JF3 is not the QB?

It means that worthless bag de douche is mocking our QB selection under the guise of "oddsmaking". At least I'm assuming. I stopped reading after "said on the Finebaum show on Tuesday". 

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

JFIII theoretically should give the AU offense an identity that it is confident in and, comfortable with.  With SW, there is always the chance that our offense looks like it did last year, an offense searching for confidence, identity, consistency.  

In both cases, the opposite is theoretically just as likely. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In both cases, the opposite is theoretically just as likely. 

Maybe, maybe not.  At least with JFIII, you would know what you are trying to establish as the foundation of the offense.  Given the success of past DT QBs in this offense, there is at least some basis for his comment.

One thing about it though, no need to argue.  We will know soon enough!

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

Does this mean we win 11 with Sean White?

Based on the history of Sheridan and Auburn, the only think it could mean is that we would not win 10 with Franklin starting... whether we would have won more or less will likely never be known, but Sheridan is an idiot, so whatever he says will happen is likely wrong.

It's one of the most meaningless things he has said and it's hard to top some of his garbage. It's such a safe thing for him to say because A, JF3 is not starting and B, since he isn't there is no way to disprove what he said. He's basically saying it so that if Auburn doesn't when at least ten games he can say that Gus made the wrong choice. You can bet that he would have said the opposite if JF3 was starting. Ever since the bagman story I have zero confidence in anything he says. 

19 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Does this mean we win 11 with Sean White?

Sheridan should think so, since White beat JF out. I really thought that piece of crap Sheridan had frozen and died while hiding in a bush beside I-85 trying to spot the BAGMAN!

20 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn could win 10 games with John Franklin III at QB, says oddsmaker Danny Sheridan

Danny Sheridan also says "Rawl Tahd" and wears Depends....

Sounds like this is more of a push to get Auburn to fire Gus. I think most people think we will have an average season. It's also pretty safe to make a prediction of how a team will do with a player that is not a starter. He can't lose. Hope he is right though.

• 2 months later...

Well, didn't old DO know the identity of the bag man during all the crap about Cam. I know the only thing that kept him from divulging the bag man's identiny was deep rooted love for Auburn.

wow i must have been on some good meds cus i do not remember posting this but my train wreck of copy and paste tells me it sadly is. i just reremembered him and his bag man. i often dream of him being leg humped by a rabid chicken with some seriously beady eyes.......

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

wow i must have been on some good meds cus i do not remember posting this but my train wreck of copy and paste tells me it sadly is. i just reremembered him and his bag man. i often dream of him being leg humped by a rabid chicken with some seriously beady eyes.......

That's no chicken; that's Paul Finebaum.

Archived