Dansby and Tubs

RunInRed

As other have mentioned, when Tubs was our coach we knew going in to every single game we had a good shot to win. Especially if the opponent was ranked and it was a big game. Unfortunately, the other side of that is we went into all games thinking "this might be where we lay an egg" if the opponent wasn't ranked and we were favored.

Remember when you could go 5-3 and win the West or a share of it? Sheeesh

Tubs' specialty was sharing division crowns lol

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll betcha the basketball and softball forums would LOVE for you to post there often and spread your rays of sunshine.  Please do!

I'm serious man.  I have a big heart, I do!  I HATE seeing you so unhappy... 

Tell ya' what...  If you promise to have a more optimistic here before the season has even begun....  I promise that if Auburn sucks throughout the entire year, as you are predicting, I'll toss some crow on the grill, add some buffalo sauce and bleu-cheese and invite you over for crow wings and beer.

How 'bout it??

i am always optimistic before the season, except for this one....i have lost all confidence in the coaching staff and i have been around football all of my life, so i know when a program shows signs of improving....we don't......this is year 4 for doublebubble.....this should be his showcase year.....no need to eat crow, i used to be just like you....i am just warning you about expectations

8 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i am always optimistic before the season, except for this one....i have lost all confidence in the coaching staff and i have been around football all of my life, so i know when a program shows signs of improving....we don't......this is year 4 for doublebubble.....this should be his showcase year.....no need to eat crow, i used to be just like you....i am just warning you about expectations

I'm gonna take your reply as kindness and I sense you're warming up to some positiveness (if there's such a word).  Thank you sir!

Hey, I admit that things are "questionable" to say the least going into this season....We ALL have questions and concerns for sure!!!....but I've read enough that I feel we, as Auburn fans, could be in for a great (and I mean that in a good way) surprise this year.

C'mon man'!  Just gimme one "War Eagle!"!!!

I'll admit if I'm wrong!  ....promise!  But I'll still yell "War Eagle" with ya'!!

2 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

lol...you were BORN in 1972!...wow, congratulations....see, in 1972, i was cheering on a couple of my friends, bob and bill newton...you might have heard a little something about them in your vast experience  of AU football....another of my friends graduated the year before, harry unger....since you weren't even born in 1971, he might be an unknown to you, even with all of your great knowledge of all things AU.........hey, mr. expert, i almost forgot, do you know who leads the alltime career interception category?....i doubt that you do, but i used to play with him when we were kids, see, his aunt was my next door neighbor....his name was buddy mcclinton.....so dude, it is obvious that i have forgotten more AU football than you will ever know....now take your juvenile BS and go play with it on the highway....i can't help but laugh at you....lol

Hey buddy.  Me again and I'm going back to your original reply to me.  I know it was meant to be a smack-down and put me in my place but, as you may have surmised by now, that ain't so easy! I'm too dense to be put in my place...   Anyway, what was I sayin'?  ....oh yeah!

This post ain't to be negative but instead based on some of the stuff you said above... "in 1972, i was cheering on a couple of my friends, bob and bill newton...you might have heard a little something about them" and "another of my friends graduated the year before, harry unger" and also "do you know who leads the alltime career interception category? ....i doubt that you do, but i used to play with him when we were kids, see, his aunt was my next door neighbor....his name was buddy mcclinton...."  ...man, you should be SHARING THAT STUFF with us!!  Sounds to me like you could be one of the great Auburn storytellers/historians on this board and you could become legendary!  Heck, I'D follow you at least...

Sounds to me like you have too many awesome memories to be so bitter this board.  Sure, they may not make you happy right now but as your vast experience has proven...for every Doug Barfield, there's at lease a couple Shug Jordans, Pat Dyes, Tommy Tubervilles, etc...

I know...sounds like I'm pandering but truly...I'm a historian at heart.  I'd love to hear about some of the stuff you've seen over the years!  If you see fit...POST IT!

Again.... War Eagle to you!!!

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Hey buddy.  Me again and I'm going back to your original reply to me.  I know it was meant to be a smack-down and put me in my place but, as you may have surmised by now, that ain't so easy! I'm too dense to be put in my place...   Anyway, what was I sayin'?  ....oh yeah!

This post ain't to be negative but instead based on some of the stuff you said above... "in 1972, i was cheering on a couple of my friends, bob and bill newton...you might have heard a little something about them" and "another of my friends graduated the year before, harry unger" and also "do you know who leads the alltime career interception category? ....i doubt that you do, but i used to play with him when we were kids, see, his aunt was my next door neighbor....his name was buddy mcclinton...."  ...man, you should be SHARING THAT STUFF with us!!  Sounds to me like you could be one of the great Auburn storytellers/historians on this board and you could become legendary!  Heck, I'D follow you at least...

Sounds to me like you have too many awesome memories to be so bitter this board.  Sure, they may not make you happy right now but as your vast experience has proven...for every Doug Barfield, there's at lease a couple Shug Jordans, Pat Dyes, Tommy Tubervilles, etc...

I know...sounds like I'm pandering but truly...I'm a historian at heart.  I'd love to hear about some of the stuff you've seen over the years!  If you see fit...POST IT!

Awww man... Now you're making me miss Pops.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

i have not missed a game, either by listening on radio, watching on tv or attending in what will be my 57th year of following AU...it started in 1960

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Awww man... Now you're making me miss Pops.

That's kind of you but Pops was a true gentleman. I couldn't even hold his water-jug. 

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

That's kind of you but Pops was a true gentleman. I couldn't even hold his water-jug. 

My point exactly.  He was the gentleman story teller/historian of this site.

7 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i have not missed a game, either by listening on radio, watching on tv or attending in what will be my 57th year of following AU...it started in 1960

So, I KNOW you've got some stories to share!  

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

72 if you haven't read this thread you should

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/95546-oldest-ae-member/

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

72 if you haven't read this thread you should

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/95546-oldest-ae-member/

Thank you for that, Golf!  Enjoying every story...

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I knew those guys you mentioned, helped Harry Unger castrate a pig in an Animal Science class. Plus Tucker Fredrickson, Jimmy Sidle, Jerry Popwell and so forth before them. After all that's said and done, I'm in the corner with AUsince72 on this question. If you are so down on Auburn, why not root for Livingston State (UWA)?. They are in your neck of the woods and you can make much of the Auburn fan base happy by switching allegiance. The UWA folks might not like you being their new best fan, but we'll be happier.

I was 10 years old in 1972 and saw my first Auburn game.  It was Auburn vs Alabama (punt Bama punt game).  My Father and Mother had tickets and my mom acted like she did not feel good, so I got to go.  I have been addicted to auburn football every since, I always stick with them through good times and bad.  Having said that I think we can still have a good year, some on this forum have already thrown in the towel before the first game.  I don't understand that mentality.....

This might be the last full day we have to stay positive so we might as well enjoy it, right?  Seriously though, all it takes is the right coaches connecting with the right players and unlocking their potential. We have had several top ten recruiting classes recently so I have to believe that the potential is there for us to have a good season.  I think our guys are hungry and I think it's gonna happen!  War Damn Eagle!!

Archived