World Cup 2018

AUDub

Forgot. Lineup tonight was:

Dempsey-Altidore with Dempsey in the creator role

Johnson-Bradley-Pulisic-Nagbe with Pulisic forward and Bradley holding

Villafaña-Cameron-Brooks-Yedlin

Howard between the sticks. 

Wood is on the bench, probably still recovering from his injury.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wood on for Jozy in the 83rd. He promptly pings a shot off the woodwork. 

A much needed 2-0 win. El Tri coming up on Sunday at 6:30.

Nice to get the win. I'd really like to see Wood start over Altidore against Mexico. Jozy had a couple nice passes but he doesn't seem to put the pressure on defenders that Wood does.

5 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

Nice to get the win. I'd really like to see Wood start over Altidore against Mexico. Jozy had a couple nice passes but he doesn't seem to put the pressure on defenders that Wood does.

Bobby may not be at 100% just yet. 

16 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

I keep thinking Jozy is going get replace she every game, burn nevertheless he starts every single one. I don't like they guy, but I just don't see what he brings. 

To put it nicely, that was a lethargic first half.  Either the altitude really hosed these guys up or they overtrained leading to the game. 

Much better second half.  I didn't think anybody had a bad game but a few stood out like pulisic and nagbe.  I usually am not a fan of altidore but I thought he did a lot of dirty work tonight.  Dempsey did too much coming back to midfield unless the switches with pulisic were part of the plan.

i thought villafana had a nice game getting forward but he paid for it at the end.

im afraid that Mexico is gonna fry us in the axteca altitude.  We looked gassed at the end and we were walking around the first 20 minutes

Man, Clint was ticked when Arena pulled him in the 61st. I sort of understand because the game was probably going to open up after Pulisic's goal.

I was also satisfied with Altidore's play. 

I expect Mexico to beat us, but my fingers are crossed. 

It sure would be a HUGE boost in confidence and morale to get a win in Azteca.  How much allowance will be given to Mexico on fouling Pulisic?  Probably about the same as the previous games.  Good thing is that kid just works harder because of it. 

Major lineup changes tonight. A formation change too.

Wood

Beasley-Bradley-Acosta-Yedlin-Pulisic-Arriola

Tim Ream-Gonzalez-Cameron

Guzan

Puzzling. Love the tactical change. Not a fan of the personnel. Bruce is probably thinking ahead to Costa Rica. Oh well.

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

How are they setting it up? 

3-4-2-1 ?

beasley/yedlin up and down sides with arriola sitting in front of 2 DM and pulisic given free reign 

I imagine that's how we will do it.

Man, I hope Bruce looks like a genius this evening, but Hirving, Chicharito and Vela shooting at Guzan does not give me the warm fuzzies.

I guess we are gonna stuff the middle and make their breaks go wide.  Yedlin worked hard the other night.  Hope he recovered.  Guess we can always replace him with our other speed demon right back ... the one and only zusi (yes, tongue planted in cheek)

I'm recording it (yard work).  so I won't be checking any media until after dark.  Hope they pull it out

Salcedo is throwing elbows and has yet to have been caught by the ref. 

Bradley intercepts at MF and catches Ochoa off his line! Goal 40 meters out! 6th minute! 1-0 USA!

Mexico a hair's breadth from equalizing. Yedlin makes a mistake and holds Chicharito onside. Ball through to him, but Guzan rushes out to meet, forcing a high and wide chip. 

Vela equalizes on the counter. 23rd minute. Rats.

I think the position change has neutralized Pulisic. Been quiet in the left side. Had a nice steal there and looked like he'd broken away, but Herrera ran him down. 

Mexico burns a sub in the first half, and now Marco Fabian is injured after a nice tackle on Wood. They may have accidently burned a sub too early. 

Cameron very nearly puts it in our net on a cross intended for Chicharito, but Guzan makes a lucky stop on the deflection. 

Yedlin earns himself a booking. First of the game. Mexico should have three. Two elbows from Salcedo and a dive from Chicharito. 

Halftime. 1-1 is probably a fair score given the balance of play.

Archived