World Cup 2018

AUDub

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Klinsman probably laughing his ass off. 

Except he put the US in this position. Arena had to just be a stop gap. Yes, US soccer just set itself back 5 years. I hope they clean house like you said. Inexcusable is right. 

Arena had one responsibility ... World Cup.  He failed.

i put a ton on the players.  I thought they were heartless in some of the early qualifiers.

i don’t think Klinny was a great of x and o’s Coach but I think he introduced a lot of possible new talent that might now go wasted.

USA soccer needs the clean house and beg beg beg for some quality friendlies over the next year. 

Pathetic. The US talent seems to be deepening but a corresponding improvement in results isn't. The inconsistency with this team is unreal.

For those who know a great deal more than me about soccer: What will the USMNT schedule look like between now and the close of the World Cup? I suppose there's no NIT-ish consolation tournament for teams that missed on the World Cup, right? What kind of changes should we expect to the USMNT?

Still disgusted this morning.  We will likely lose Howard and Dempsey in regards to age, although possible Dempsey could be used as a super sub again if he continues to play at a high level. I don't know enough about the newcomers in MLS to know who gets a shot next time. 

Ditto on the disgusted part.  Start working on the next gen, I guess?  

If I’m the new coach (was arena and the admin fired yet this morning?) that would be the last game for all of the mid-thirty and over guys.  Last international game for a big much of guys.  When the next tourney comes up there better not be a grey hair in the lineup.

gotta find players with skill AND heart/grit.

i think this thread should now include a convo of what fundamental changes are necessary?  I’ve heard a few times new that the pay to play format is a big part of the problem.  I think it is ... sorta.  I hate hate hate the big local clubs.  It’s all about the money and the kids are the commodity.

9 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

Pathetic. The US talent seems to be deepening but a corresponding improvement in results isn't. The inconsistency with this team is unreal.

For those who know a great deal more than me about soccer: What will the USMNT schedule look like between now and the close of the World Cup? I suppose there's no NIT-ish consolation tournament for teams that missed on the World Cup, right? What kind of changes should we expect to the USMNT?

You'll see some friendlies, but that's it between now and the WC.  No consolation tournaments or anything.  World Cup qualifying is actually a 2-3 year process, so it starts back again in 2019.  We also have the Gold Cup in 2019 and the Copa America in Brazil.

As for changes: the head of US Soccer, Sunil Gulati, will likely be gone.  Expect more, including a new coach and a movement towards younger players.

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I loled...

DL0nLTuX4AA8O36?format=jpg

That’s freaking funny right there!

my hope is that we flood the bundesliga with American players.  It seems to be the one top league that some Americans are good enough and the teams are willing to give them top flight time.

maybe one day we’ll see more guys in EPL.  I’m personally not a fan of la liga (mostly cuz it’s so dang top heavy) and the very few Serie A games I’ve watched have made me want to gouge my eyes out.

ligie 1 I’ve never watched nor eredivisie.

48 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Where are you seeing this?

Not official. He's up for election soon. He will be swept out. 

I like Arena, but he had one job and failed.  He was dealt a tough hand being in the hole to start,  but we had a couple of inexcusable losses with BA coaching in the hex as well. 

Do you think it is better to get a replacement soon or wait it out past the Cup to see if a higher profile coach becomes available? 

i wonder is arena was banking on traditional American soccer wins, but unfortunately the players (as a whole) don’t have the traditional American soccer grit and heart.

Since most US soccer fans seem to say the same things ... overhaul ... then some whoever is placed at the top of US soccer needs the be hired based on his holistic philosophy, which should include type of coach.  That’s what they were trying with Klinsmann.

i think JK made positive strides in the right direction which was a larger emphasis on skill.  I know youth soccer changed a bunch in the last 4-5 years.

at the core of the youth soccer is the established pay to play programs and college soccer.

quite frankly, why would any kid/parents invest the time/money into it except for the elite or nutty few?

there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Heck there isn’t really much scholly money.  Probably equivalent to what most parents will have put into RPL/ECNL and ODP programs.

personally, I think US soccer is going to have to somehow partner with college soccer.  We don’t have the opportunities for kids to make soccer a career.  So they are striving for college.  

Full schollys, FIFA rules, limited scholarship roster would be a great place to start in college.

youth clubs need to separate the truly talented from the rest.  Already happening with ecnl and ODP.  ODP needs to be FREE.

i have other thoughts but it’s time to go watch my U16 play a double header today ... 

27 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

i have other thoughts but it’s time to go watch my U16 play a double header today ... 

BUSA? My daughter, an 07, has two games there tomorrow for a showcase. 

Proud of her. This is only her third season in the Trussville United Academy. She's found her niche in goal, which was my position for over a decade, and has been asked to close out the season with our 06 competitive team. A real deal, try out to qualify team. She's good between the sticks. Really good. Better than I was at that age.

She has one more year of Academy, but me and momma might be scrapping that to have her play competitive next year. She's ready. 

Yes I’ve got a BUSA kid.  We’ve done BUSA and vhsc over the years.  Mine playing today used to be an 03 but is now an 02 with the recently changed age bracket rules.  She hasn’t played in 2 years till this season - and it shows!  

I’ve seen the underbelly of the pay to play and have experienced numerous examples this fall.  If anyone ever wants my negative opinions of pay to play, I’d be more than happy to share.

my 00 isn’t playing club soccer this fall - primarily as a result of the clubs  Everyone needs to always remember these are big businesses and the kids are the commodity.  The guys that run BUSA and VHSC are making $200,000 a year.  The top handful of staff at the clubs are pushing 100k or above.  There are pro soccer players not making that much.

my 00 was a 4 time ODP player.  She was a good player.  We never pushed her and she decided she didn’t want to pursue college soccer, so the only reason to play club is to prep for senior season and she didn’t want to.

This is the reason I know so many of the better girl players in the state.  4 of which are playing at auburn next year.  One of which I think really highly of ... think Kristen Dodson clone with possibly slightly better technical skills.  The other 3 have great skill sets and all are regulars in ODP region 3 team.  The 00 ODP Alabama and region3 teams have represented themselves very well against the other top areas.

sorry, I’ve rambled ... this u16 game I’m watching is setting soccer backwards.  It would help us if the cocky coach would stand up and coach and put his freaking cell phone down.

On October 14, 2017 at 11:54 AM, mustache eagle said:

Yes I’ve got a BUSA kid.  We’ve done BUSA and vhsc over the years.  Mine playing today used to be an 03 but is now an 02 with the recently changed age bracket rules.  She hasn’t played in 2 years till this season - and it shows!  

I’ve seen the underbelly of the pay to play and have experienced numerous examples this fall.  If anyone ever wants my negative opinions of pay to play, I’d be more than happy to share.

my 00 isn’t playing club soccer this fall - primarily as a result of the clubs  Everyone needs to always remember these are big businesses and the kids are the commodity.  The guys that run BUSA and VHSC are making $200,000 a year.  The top handful of staff at the clubs are pushing 100k or above.  There are pro soccer players not making that much.

my 00 was a 4 time ODP player.  She was a good player.  We never pushed her and she decided she didn’t want to pursue college soccer, so the only reason to play club is to prep for senior season and she didn’t want to.

This is the reason I know so many of the better girl players in the state.  4 of which are playing at auburn next year.  One of which I think really highly of ... think Kristen Dodson clone with possibly slightly better technical skills.  The other 3 have great skill sets and all are regulars in ODP region 3 team.  The 00 ODP Alabama and region3 teams have represented themselves very well against the other top areas.

sorry, I’ve rambled ... this u16 game I’m watching is setting soccer backwards.  It would help us if the cocky coach would stand up and coach and put his freaking cell phone down.

We had a day of ups and downs today in the showcase. Got crushed by BUSA 07 Hypervenom in the early game. It's odd, as we opened the season 2-0 against them. We plateaued early and have fallen back to the mean, I'm afraid. Sadie had a good game in goal but 3 still got through her. Midfield overran the run of play several times, leaving our defenders in a 5v3/2 hole. Sadie got bombarded. She made 5 or 6 saves, but the damage was done. Played the game out between the sticks. She took it well enough. I've emphasized the "water off a ducks back" philosophy ever since she was put there. She's come a long way. She was in tears the first time she allowed multiple goals, in a game we won, mind you.

Afternoon game was a different story. An OG put HSV up 1-0, but they started Sadie out of goal and at striker for the first time this year. (Academy is developmental so they rotate quite a bit. It's good because it emphasizes footwork, and it's important she not panic with the ball at her feet in goal, which will be her primary position going forward.) She answered with a breakaway and a nice strike from the top of the box with her left foot that crept under the bar , which is impressive in that she has never had a left foot before today. Only goal of the season, and it was a beauty. We piled on afterward. They put her back in goal to start the second half, closing out a 6-1 win. Can't say much for HSV's class, though. First meeting.

I'll say this about the pay for play in Trussville, at least. The gulf in class and quality between the rec and competitive coaching is massive. They do good work. Practically all of her goalkeeper training comes from me, but her play in the field has improved at a ridiculous pace. They do good work in that regard, and have instilled and perpetuated a love for the game. She's way into it. We watch the USWNT together every time we can catch them. Just hope it stays that way as she grows up. 

Archived