Fire malzahn

musicitytiger

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't think anyone seriously ment hire Steele. God, I hope not...

I guess Gus looked horrible his 1st year. Man... Seems like I remember us setting the world on fire his 1st season... Maybe I am wrong... I've been wrong before...

You can't say so and so did great his first GAME against an overmatched opponent and discount what Gus did his 1st season...you know... The greatest turn around in NCAA history, but who cares about that...

He had a terrific offensive line and a good dual threat qb. However, those weren't his recruits and it's been mostly down hill since then. Gus had all summer to prepare for this one game and that's the kind of offensive performance he puts forth? I mean, what the hell did he do all Summer? That was a truly an embarrassing offensive performance. I had to lift up the barrel and dig six inches under to find any positives because they were few and far between.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me preface by saying that I've not hopped off the bus just yet, I am clinging to the rails...

But I for one am greatly displeased that just over a week ago we are all relieved to have named a starting quarterback who will would get all the first team reps in preparation for the Clemson game... and then we have this baffling carousel of quarterbacks leading to shear chaos on offense. But when you admit that the quarterback carousel was part of your game-plan? That in-and-of-itself ought to be a fireable offense for whoever hatched that up, especially for lying to the fans...

Also, let me add this. Sean White should be our quarterback. He played with tenacity and from a playcalling standpoint could have executed those plays without breaking up the momentum. The only supposed limitations are his red-zone play, but I disagree. I haven't seen Sean play in the red-zone all that much because we can't stop plugging in Jeremy Johnson in.

John Franklin 3 showed me nothing of why he should be leading the offense and I swear, I watched that man in two or three consecutive snaps hand the ball to Kerryon Johnson in a ZONE-READ situation, gaining about 3 yards total, and looking toward the sideline like a lost puppy immediately after the hand-off. If you're gonna keep preaching about the success and dependance of the read option, show me why you think Franklin should lead this offense.

Jeremy Johnson... the lights still haven't come on, and I'm not waiting.

So please, can we just play our best quarterback and let him develop and gain some momentum?

49 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

He had a terrific offensive line and a good dual threat qb. However, those weren't his recruits and it's been mostly down hill since then. Gus had all summer to prepare for this one game and that's the kind of offensive performance he puts forth? I mean, what the hell did he do all Summer? That was a truly an embarrassing offensive performance. I had to lift up the barrel and dig six inches under to find any positives because they were few and far between.

Oh... So Nick Marshall who was the key to everything that season, wasn't a CGM recruit. 

Oh and BTW... MOST of those recruits he inherited when he took over were signed during his time as OC...when he controlled the offense... As any OC does.

He isn't OC anymore. Offensive ineptness is on the offense is on the shoulders of the OC..

So, tell me again the recruits weren't his... Yeah he was gone 1 season... But he went from controlling the offense to the team. But Marshall was his direct recruit 90% of the rest of the offense signed when he was OC.

Some of you guys have really short memories, or you refuse to see things for what they are...

17 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

So please, can we just play our best quarterback and let him develop and gain some momentum?

The problem is... None of them are any good. None have received anything close to what someone without orange and blue shaders would describe as progression. Thats on his OC and position coach.... Oh wait...

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

The problem is... None of them are any good. None have received anything close to what someone without orange and blue shaders would describe as progression. Thats on his OC and position coach.... Oh wait...

I won't disagree about the coaching side of development. But having one person leading the offense leads to having a cohesive offense, and more importantly tempers the quarterbacks abilities. I will disagree about not having any good QB's. As I said, I'm a believer in Sean White, from a personal execution standpoint as well as the execution of quarterbacks around him. I think the best thing for us to do is take a page from Saban's book is let those who can't produce, ride the bench, instead of playing Coach Friend who let's everyone have a fair shot against the no. 2 team in the nation...

As my uncle pointed out... if I were Sean and was named starting QB to have to go through this wheel of quarterbacks; if this goes on into the Arky State game I'd start planning my transfer. And that's how you run off the Elite 11 MVP of 2013 from your program.

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

None of them are any good? You're claims are just plain stupid. How can one of them be good when as soon as they succeed they are pulled? That's the OC's fault? What kind of hc lets an OC do that? Anyone who thinks rl runs this O by himself is a complete buffoon. Gus is the hc and "offensive genious". I've never heard rl referred to as an offensive genious. 

You insult highly rated and skilled qbs who have given their hearts to AU, and protect the "offensive genious" who has failed to develop them. You have some nerve. You should be ashamed of your apologetic a$$. 

Gus and rl designed the first 3 qb offense. Watch the press conference. They had packages for all 3 and inserted them when the 'package fit', regardless of what was going on in the game or how well the current qb was playing. 

Two qb gameplans are feared by most. Our O braintrust dreams up a 3 qb gameplan. Absolute freaking idiocy, period. A textbook recipe for disaster that any hs coach would know better than to try. 

I'm not for firing Malzahn.  I appreciate what he has done for Auburn.  I believe he is one of the big reasons we won a national championship and appeared in another national championship.  I'm just confused about why his offense within the last year looks like a shell of it's former self.

I just watched the entire presser and what I saw was a guy who has lost his way. He looked beaten, he looked irritated, he looked like a guy who will be coaching elsewhere in a few months.  It reminded me of some of Chizik's final post game pressers. I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm dead wrong and he rights the ship and our offense figures things out. But after watching this trainwreck my confidence is not high.

3 hours ago, tiger88 said:

Gus and rl designed the first 3 qb offense. Watch the press conference. They had packages for all 3 and inserted them when the 'package fit', regardless of what was going on in the game or how well the current qb was playing. 

Two qb gameplans are feared by most. Our O braintrust dreams up a 3 qb gameplan. Absolute freaking idiocy, period. A textbook recipe for disaster that any hs coach would know better than to try. 

Agreed. Hell, if we played 2 QBs (White and Franklin), that wouldn't have been so bad, maybe. IMO, JJ had no business being in there, especially on 4th and 1.

That play calling still kills me. 3rd and 1 from the 4. No way in hell that shouldn't have been a TD. But we squander 3rd with a failed pass, and then run JJ up the middle on 4th and 1? 

I think we now know why Coach Craig left the disaster that is the Auburn offense is more than I could watch as well, after we are sitting at 1 - 3 by the end of this month we can pull the plug on another failed experiment and hire an actual coach 

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

The is the delusional I was talking about - that you believe this OC crap you are spewing. This is all on Gus. This "OC" is Gus' hire. It's his boy. Why? So Gus has a yes man that does everything he wants. Everything you saw on offense tonight - all the insanity - was Gus Malzahn. Period. He even said as much in his presser.

2 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I just watched the entire presser and what I saw was a guy who has lost his MIND. He looked beaten, he looked irritated, he looked like a guy who will be coaching elsewhere in a few months.  It reminded me of some of Chizik's final post game pressers. I hope I'm wrong. I hope I'm dead wrong and he rights the ship and our offense figures things out. But after watching this trainwreck my confidence is not high.

FIFY

6 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

No. Do not Fire Malzahn. Do you not realize this would mean starting over? Wake up! You don't always have an SEC Championship season with 1st year coaches. Firing Gus means more rebuilding and more frustration. Chill out and let him figure it out. He's not trying "not to score." 

Newsflash: we not the only team that struggles on offense. LSU was awful today, Miss St, Arkansas, Florida, were ALL bad on O today. We played the number 2 team in the country and almost beat em. We'll figure it out. War Eagle 

This makes about as much sense as a Gus Malzahn play call.

4 hours ago, tiger88 said:

I couldn't believe the presser.  He said each qb had packages/plays and when the coaches wanted to call certain plays they inserted that qb.  Wth way to coach is that.  He seemed defiant not only irritated that he kept getting asked about rotating qbs.  Coach didn't that kill tempo? No he said, you can still maintain tempo and substitute qbs.  He basically said he would continue the qb carousel.  Asked about SW being named starter and yet having the constant substitution he replied well he did start.  Kept talking about how great Clemson was as if to excuse the loss and take the heat away.  Frankly i found him to be arrogant, smug and a total loser.

Hey Gus, you're wrong. Your coaching and player development is horrible.  Your arrogence and stubborness pathetic.  You have embarassed the school and brought down the program.  You are not an elite coach and definitely not an offensive guru.  Take your trick plays back to hs.

Captain Obvious here but outlook is not positive. I hate to say it but hey I wouldn't surprised if we lost to Ark St. We will start 1-3 and we will have to rely on a Kevin Steele defense to keep our heads above water!?

our best hope may sadly be running JF3 with our one play .. Zone read ! Yay! I thought Gus was going to instal an offense but I'm doubting his coaching and sanity after last night. So run zone read try to have a decent season then find a coach?

Wow......last week this time it was a matter of how bad we would get beaten....and now we want to fire Gus because of a 6 point loss and the fact that he did not do things the way we would have. 

My biggest concern was that the OL was getting manhandled and didn't matter who the QB was, he never had time to effectively run a play and the RBs were being met in the backfield as soon as they got they ball.  Mostly what changed in the second half was that the OL began providing some protection and holes and QBs started making a few plays.

Meanwhile, looks like his indecision over the QB selection was valid......but with that porous OL it was hard to tell and I expect that's what was going on in practice too....the defense dominating our offense.   I'm expecting some changes on the OL this week....especially at RT where Lett was abused so badly.

7 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

In the 2nd half he found a way to open up some running lanes. 

And he seemed to settle on Sean. 

Tonight was terrible on offense, but there is a good chance for improvement the next few weeks. 

Let's discuss again after LSU. If our offense looks like a Chinese fire drill then, that's a different story!

This I agree with. As terrible as the play calling was last night, I believe SW may have solidified the QB spot a little more. If Gus sees this and goes with it we may end up pretty good. If he doesn't see it, he can start packing. If after LSU our play calling is still this bad, I say fire Gus and Rhett and let Hand run the offense the rest of the year. Gus has one chance to fix this or get fired. Let's hope he fixes it. 

The score was not indicative of how bad the Offense got whipped. The OL was outmanned by Clemson's redshirt freshmen and sophomores. Our center and right tackle got schooled. The O PLAN was simply embarrassing, kind of "high schoolish" to my old eyes. Schemes my work when we have an elite player here and there but not when the other team is eyeballs deep in upper level talent. After four years, we must know by now that recruits who would be great at Arkansas State simply cannot keep us competitive in the power 5. I am referring to the Offense recruits since I believe the D has been handled more traditionally by seasoned D coordinators. Last year may have been our best O recruiting in the Gus era. Maybe too late. I honestly don't know who we could get if we fired him. No top level coach would leave to come here given our hire for 4 years and then fire policy. Tubbs was much better than we deserved. Somethings wrong at the admin level here. Gus is learning on the job and is smart enough to get better but that will take a redefinition of Offensive recruits needed in the power 5. Big and fast beats smaller and fast. Thank goodness for the great Defensive play.

The people that are saying that Gus will figure it out are forgetting that he had 8 months to do that and last night was his best answer? He either has no clue how to fix it or doesn't care , I believe it's a combination of the two. 

8 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Lashlee is CLEARLY in over his head and our offensive regression since year 1 shows this. He clearly can't develop a QB whist being our QB coach. He clearly can't run an offense....so....why is he even here?

Gus has been in over his head ever since he left Arky State for the Plains.

8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Gus has lost me. I have been nothing but a optimistic supporter of him for 4 years now. But it's over with. I'm sorry. I've never been more angry watching a game in my life. I cannot believe he even allowed Jeremy to touch the field tonight.

I was more angry about the Georgia game last year, for sure. I felt very good about the D and Carlson last night. The offense had me baffled. I was SMH like Bo. But I wasn't angry like I was about the Georgia game.

Archived