Fire malzahn

musicitytiger

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I'd rather have Lane Kiffin over Malzahn and Lashlee.

ewww. :lol:

Lotta hate and venom here for a 1 score loss to a top team in the country.

No excuses for the offense, that was sad. But I didn't feel like that game exposed AU as a weak team. and it was real dang exciting to see a run up the middle against us and not suddenly feel a pit in my stomach. :)

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

No excuses for the offense, that was sad. But I didn't feel like that game exposed AU as a weak team. and it was real dang exciting to see a run up the middle against us and not suddenly feel a pit in my stomach. :)

The positives were everywhere on d. It made the playcalling that much more painful. 

Just now, tiger88 said:

The positives were everywhere on d. It made the playcalling that much more painful. 

Oh I agree, but the defense looked the type to keep us in any game despite what the O might have going on. And seeing runs up the middle getting consistently stuffed was awesome.... it's been awhile.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I say fire the high school coach. Gus is a joke. 

wde, i tried to pm you a while ago, but it says that you are not taking pms....i don't want to say what i have to say on a public board....some here are sensitive about the HC and OC, and what has went on in the last 12 months

When you walk to the podium in a post game press conference and say "that was our plan all along " to do that rotation..and he plans to continue doing it..I can not wrap my mind around it. I just hope when he watches the film today, he sees how stupid he looked last night and changes something.. Change anything..

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I say fire the high school coach. Gus is a joke. 

Agree.  But if we do then Jay Jacobs is going to get to make the hire.

wde

18 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I think the hate and venom is primarily coming from people that consider it madness to bring a 3-man QB rotation out as your gameplan for your first game against a top opponent, especially when you had 9 months to prepare. If anything was exposed, it is that there may be some serious truth to accusations that Gus is in over his head.

That defensive performance is probably enough to beat anyone, but that offensive plan was not.

If Gus plays SW exclusively....we will win games without all the razzle dazzle cutesy s***. SW is the most composed of the 3 but still makes mistakes. Honestly I can't fault any of the QBs last night, hard to get in a rhythm in 2-3 play bursts lol. I do have hope for the season however. Last night our D showed the world it's the real deal. We basically shut down Clemsons juggernaut. Our Defense can win us games this year if we just settle down and get back to basics on O. Put the rookie WRs in there and let them work and learn. Our D is good enough to save us going through a learning curve the next couple of weeks. We have Arky St next week. There's no reason SW should come out of that game. Our Defense is tough enough. Let SW find some balance and rhythm with his O and let's move forward. 

Strychnine is correct. This is not about Auburn losing. It's about losing because of offensive ineptitude, mostly caused by ridiculous substitutions at the QB spot. I can accept Auburn losing and even take some pride in how defense and special teams played. I can't accept this panicking at the first sign of trouble idiocy that Malzahn showed last night. Watching last night reminded me of a Civil War story. 

William Rosecrans was a Union general who commanded the Army of the Cumberland. His first battle was at Stones River where the rebels got the jump on him and attacked. Rosecrans proceeded to ride up and down the line taking command of any unit he could find to try and plug gaps in his line. Some men wrote about Rosecrans' bravery and how inspiring it was. Others saw it for what it was - panicking under pressure. Rosecrans would be exposed 9 months later at Chickamauga when his panicking led to a fatal mistake and the biggest rout of the war for a Union army. Lincoln would famously say that Rosecrans was stunned like a "duck hit on the head."

Maybe Malzahn will end up being a decent head coach someday. Right now, he has no idea how to strike a balance between OC duties and being the head man. Even Chizik would have reigned in the QB musical chairs act last night. 

38 yards total off. in the first half,38 total yards in the first half !!!! need I say more.I am off the Gus bus for sure.I would only be for keeping Gus if he fired RL and hired a quality OC that could develop  a QB  and he would let him run the offense and stay out of the way.This high school O is not working.

I've been on the Gus Bus since day 1 but i don't think he can get the job done as a Head coach. After watching Lashlee call plays last year he should have been demoted or terminated. Some coaches haven't learned yet trying to hang on to your buddies when they aren't getting the job done doesn't work in the SEC. Honestly i don't think Gus will see another season at Auburn unless he works a miracle and find a Qb who can at least hit a open target. Personally I would rather see Woody than JF3 if you searching for a Qb and you gone play 3 might as well give everybody a chance. There's nothing to lose at this point offensively.

If Auburn pulled out the Win in the final seconds,, How many of you would still be  saying File The coaches?

very, very few.  You would laughing all the way to the bank, so-to-speak and would be saying "They will get much better "Next Week."

On the other-hand:

The three-ring qb circus was a joke and made Auburn look stupid. For that, Gus has to get rid of Rhett, more sooner than later.  Failure to do so should terminate both.  At that point, go after CDC. Auburn seems to like giving up-and-coming coaches the opportunity to use them as a door-step. Of course CDC has been a coach at big time schools where Gus was a one-trick-pony.  Gus's problem, Big time coaches figured out how to stop his offence, now he must adjust or get out..

Not throwing in the towel completely, just yet, but am willing should the circus continue beyond two more games. None of the QB's were given a dog's chance in h_ _ _ to get a feel for the game or to get any rhythm the first half.

Sean - "I just thew for a first down, I got this"

coach - "next man up!"

JJ - "I just made two good passes, I got this"

coach - "next man up!"

Franklin - "I can out run all you MF!"; "Dang coach won't let me run, I have to hand-off."

coach - "next man up!"

voice from a-far - "what the heck you going to do now?" "None of the QB's have any confidence." "you can't do this!"

coach - "Rinse and Repeat"

voice from a-far - "This is not the time to have QB-Spray-and-wash!"

Coach - "Next!"

10 hours ago, madkat7 said:

Lashley is a human fire break protecting Gus from direct action. We'll have to get rid of the buffer to fully understand the extent of the problem. 

I'm sorry, but if a head coach can't look at a game plan and see that it's total s*** and needs to be changed... or even at least at half time make those changes or even when a STUPID play call is made in a critical moment... then he has no use.  It's not like it's just this one game we're looking at.  His history has been weak at best... I don't know that firing him will help as I have no idea who/how to replace him with the cost associated and the stigma of firing coaches would be huge... but why in the heck did we just extend his contract?  For that reason alone, we need to look above CGM's head too and make some changes up the ladder... IMO.

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Oh... So Nick Marshall who was the key to everything that season, wasn't a CGM recruit. 

Technically, he was a UGA commit and signer... who was kicked off their team and taken in by us... so... no he wasn't a Gus Recruit... just saying.

Gus's offense seems to require a very "dynamic" QB to work well.  Those QB's are far and few between... so in years we don't have that type of QB it seems we can't "adapt" that offense to a manageable system.  I don't like the term... but it really seems to be a "one trick pony"... As a Head Coach, you major role besides recruiting is to model the offense and defense around the talent you have... leading the OC and DC to help them with the options at hand... if you are not smart enough to see the HUGE pitfalls in the scheme we are using and not willing to make a change when you see it's not working... then you have no use as a HC, IMO.

I do not believe that Gus is an idiot or, that he has forgotten how to coach.  However, I also believe it is undeniable that our offense was poorly prepared and, the overall "scheme" was built on an absurd premise.

So, what's the problem?  I honestly do not know but, from outside looking in, I would guess that the combination of Rhett and Gus is toxic.  I have to believe that they have created their own echo chamber in which ideas are automatically good, or bad, without any serious consideration of reality.  There is always consensus.  No one is challenged.  

Perhaps, after years of battling to be the "the guy", Gus has bought into the idea that he IS an "offensive genius"?  Perhaps he doesn't want to remember the years of being a co-coordinator or, reliving the years when he was a coordinator who had conflicts with the head coach?  Maybe, just maybe, he isn't a genius, just a very good coach.  Maybe, just maybe, he isn't always right, or wrong, but rather, like most of us, needs positive and negative feedback from those around him and, an open mind willing to accept and analyze both.

I am guessing that Gus has insulated and isolated himself and, his ego.  He no longer has the benefit of people around him who will help him discern the good ideas from the bad ones.  All his ideas are good!  The absurdity of such thinking was on display last night.

On the bright side, for Gus, it is more of a personal failure, not really a coaching failure.  It is cliched but, maybe true, there is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I think what we are seeing is the line being crossed.

It is pretty funny how people come out of the woodworks when they get a chance to be negative.  I am most likely the only one of this thread not on the fire Gus bandwagon on this thread and here is why.  We were one Hail Mary from beating the #2 team in the nation. We had two returning starters at their positions on offense and Clemson's defense was throwing really complex schemes at us that took some one to adjust to.  This was one game, arguably the hardest game for us all year.   Everyone needs to calm down.  We can still have a really good season.  We all knew the defense was gong to hold us up.  We lost to a worse LSU team in 2013 and look where we ended up.  And that year Nick Marshall did not play well in his first game.  You guys need to see a bigger picture instead of focus only on negatives because there were positives.  That Clemson defense was no pushover.  

9 minutes ago, Cooper said:

I hope the boosters decide to fly back to Louisville soon im ready for a jet gate trip.

I'd like them to go to Houston, Texas. Today!

Archived