Horton switches commitment...

austudent333

to Ole Miss following his visit this weekend, check rivals.com. This is horrible news esp. considering we may lose Stamper too.

141059[/snapback]

There will be a few more surprises, there always are. We'll win some and lose some.

Not everyone has what it takes to BECOME an Auburn Tiger. Let the rest find somewhere else to "play". :au:

Maybe I am old school, but what I see is someone afraid to compete for a slot from a 13-0 2004 squad. Someone who is lacking in kohones, someone who is looking for the easy way in to a starting job. Someone who is about "me" and not about the program...I hope they reconsider...but if not, I pray that we kick their arses for the next 4 years and that they realize that AU is on TV more than either of the aforementioned and that their best chance for a pro career is with AU! But if they are gutless and seek to find an easy solution in life...congrats you made the right choice.

Maybe I am old school, but what I see is someone afraid to compete for a slot from a 13-0 2004 squad.  Someone who is lacking in kohones, someone who is looking for the easy way in to a starting job.  Someone who is about "me" and not about the program...I hope they reconsider...but if not, I pray that we kick their arses for the next 4 years and that they realize that AU is on TV more than either of the aforementioned and that their best chance for a pro career is with AU!  But if they are gutless and seek to find an easy solution in life...congrats you made the right choice.

141091[/snapback]

Call me old school, but it sounds like he just really enjoyed his Ole Miss visit. There's no accounting for taste, and I know nothing about the guy other than he is talented and felt a connection to Ole Miss. Players good enough to go pro will go pro from Alcorn St. These are 17-18 year old kids being pulled in several directions. No need to get upset at the kid. He didn't really diss AU, that I know of. We'll use the scholly elsewhere.

a better chance of going pro?....at ole piss?.....this guy is a few fries short of a happy meal....unless your name is manning,your chance of playing pro ball is almost nil....i am of the opinion that if you ended up at ole piss, then you are not good enough to play at an upper tier sec school....if i sound disrespectful of ole piss, its because i am

Ahh yea, happy Monday everyone. Let's start the week off right by bashing some high school kid for where he decides to further his education. When on earth is signing day, so all this classless behavior will cease.

I know this swung our way with McClover a year or so ago, but I hate this kind of crap. If you haven't made up your mind, just say so. Wait until you've made all your visits then decide where you're going. But don't make a verbal commitment to a place then renege. That's low rent. If you say you're going somewhere, stick to your word. If you know you're not sure, wait and decide when you are. Schools stop recruiting other players when you make a commitment to them and when you switch, you leave them in the lurch.

Is that really such a hard thing to do?

I know this swung our way with McClover a year or so ago, but I hate this kind of crap.  If you haven't made up your mind, just say so.  Wait until you've made all your visits then decide where you're going.  But don't make a verbal commitment to a place then renege.  That's low rent.  If you say you're going somewhere, stick to your word.  If you know you're not sure, wait and decide when you are.  Schools stop recruiting other players when you make a commitment to them and when you switch, you leave them in the lurch.

Is that really such a hard thing to do?

141109[/snapback]

This is one thing that Really Irritates the HELL out of me........We have a couple DEnds commited so when we go after another, just in case they don't qualify, we more times than not don't get them, because we have a couple already......Then the ones that were commited Defect to another school and we're stuck with one DE or None, all because these one or two Kids decide to go elsewhere......So, instead of saying "I like Auburn, but I'm going to keep all my options open", they Commit then decommit two weeks before National Signing Day....Now we're left to piece together a reasonable Recruiting Class.......Man, that IRRITATES Me.

Not everyone has what it takes to BECOME an Auburn Tiger. Let the rest find somewhere else to "play". :au:

141068[/snapback]

Ole Miss hired an assistant that coached AH and has close relationships to inner city New Orleans coaches and players. AH said he owed this coach the favor of visiting OM when this coach asked him to. The rest as they say is history.

"The whole coaching staff at Auburn is great," Horton told AuburnSports.com. "It's a really great staff, but Coach Orgeron is the best d-line coach in the country. Everybody's dream is to go to the NFL, and I felt my chances at going to the next level were with him."

so u can't go to the NFL from Auburn? Hmmmm.....

Enjoy Oxford.

Switching commitments does irritate me, but what comes around, goes around i guess. I suppose it'll all work out. If Caddy hadn't switched from UT to us.......?????? Maybe Tubs can steal one too. Looks like we have some DL openings now.

The rest as they say is history.

You mean.......The Re$t, a$ they $ay, i$ Hi$tory $? :big:

141117[/snapback]

Prowler, it $eem$ that way. Horton has been with us and we've been with him for a very long time. For him to switch all of a sudden makes you go hmmm? On the other hand the deal could be clean and he feels more comfortable going to OM. If deep down inside he doesn't want to come to AU, then he should go to OM. No need for him to be miserable (for whatever bizarre reason) at AU.

This all goes back to the Texas deal. I used to pull for Texas when they played Oklahoma, No More. Mack Brown is a slime ball. The reasons we are having defections is because of Chizik's leaving. He could have waited until after recruiting. This REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

I know I don't post alot on this board but I DO lurk almost every day. Alot of people on this board are demonizing these kids because they have changed their mind from Auburn to another school... and berating kids that change their minds in general.

Number one: If I'm not mistaken both Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams changed their minds and came to Auburn.... I didn't hear any badmouthing of them on this board then. Also, Aromamshodu changed his mind on signing day a couple of years ago.

Guys, we've benefitted from defections just like we have gotten the shaft. Don't take it personal. All is fair in love and recruiting. Remember, these kids aren't evil, they're just 17 or 18 yr. olds that have everyone in the world pulling them in different directions. Friends, relatives, coaches all giving them all this advise and trying to convince them which school is best. They understand how important the decision is and want to do whats best FOR THEMSELVES (just like me-n-you). Most have no innate loyality to ANY school. Auburn is not right for every football player (or student). Let em' go where they want to... its their choice, not ours.

We will get our share and Auburn will be just fine (trust Tubs to reel in another great class). He was quoted in the newspaper as saying he is still completely happy about our recruiting year. Remember, Horton committed before we realized that MANY recruits wanted to come to Auburn because of our success this year. Maybe, just maybe Tubs has a better one in mind to replace Horton (maybe Demps). Now I hate it as much as any one about Stamper... but he has to do whats right for HIM (not us).

Calm down, people!  You act like this is the end of the world.  Horton is rethinking and may switch back.

141179[/snapback]

I'm not expecting it to get any better. Expect other defections as well because of good ol Mack.

Archived