Horton switches commitment...

austudent333

Calm down, people!  You act like this is the end of the world.  Horton is rethinking and may switch back.

141179[/snapback]

I'm not expecting it to get any better. Expect other defections as well because of good ol Mack.

141185[/snapback]

I nominate you as the Official Pessimist/Worry-Wort of AUNation.

With regard to Chizik, I think it would be more disloyal to the kids that committed to AU for him to wait until after signing day. He gave them the opportunity to look elsewhere if he was in fact the reason for their commitment. Most kids who do sign will do so because they love AU and all the program has to offer. I think it would look pretty crappy of Chizik to recruit all these kids, get their name on the dotted line and then say, "Oh by the way, I'm headed to Texas."

Guest Tigrinum Major
Calm down, people!  You act like this is the end of the world.  Horton is rethinking and may switch back.

141179[/snapback]

I'm not expecting it to get any better. Expect other defections as well because of good ol Mack.

141185[/snapback]

I nominate you as the Official Pessimist/Worry-Wort of AUNation.

141188[/snapback]

Hey, everyone is getting titles around here and damn it, I want one. I know I am a still relative newbie, but damn, all the good ones are being taken up, Caller of the Nip, Football Goddess(not that I qualify for that one), Worry-Wart...

On a more serious note, I could not care less who commits, de-commits, re-commits, is commited, needs to be commited, commits a crime, etc. until they get down and start lifting and practicing this summer. Soem of our greatest recruits (ne: Alan Evans) never played a meaningful down and some of our walk-ons have become some of my favorite players (Kurt Crain).

Potential doesn't mean a thing. As far as the kid saying that he believes Oregano will give him the best path to the NFL, hey, more power to him. I want players that love Auburn, kids like Cadillac and Ronnie and Carlos and McNeil who see the big picture and know they have a chance to be part of something bigger than theirselves. (Damn proper English, fullspeed ahead!)

War Damn Eagle

With regard to Chizik, I think it would be more disloyal to the kids that committed to AU for him to wait until after signing day.  He gave them the opportunity to look elsewhere if he was in fact the reason for their commitment.  Most kids who do sign will do so because they love AU and all the program has to offer.  I think it would look pretty crappy of Chizik to recruit all these kids, get their name on the dotted line and then say, "Oh by the way, I'm headed to Texas."

141189[/snapback]

Excellent Point!

With regard to Chizik, I think it would be more disloyal to the kids that committed to AU for him to wait until after signing day.  He gave them the opportunity to look elsewhere if he was in fact the reason for their commitment.  Most kids who do sign will do so because they love AU and all the program has to offer.  I think it would look pretty crappy of Chizik to recruit all these kids, get their name on the dotted line and then say, "Oh by the way, I'm headed to Texas."

141189[/snapback]

Excellent Point!

141201[/snapback]

I disagree. Once the kids get to the school and get used to the campus, it's not about the coach that was recruiting him anymore. They fall in love with the school and the campus. With the coach, it's more about getting their foot in the door. As soon as they report to campus, the school and the atmosphere takes care of the rest.

141189[/snapback]

Excellent Point!

141201[/snapback]

I disagree. Once the kids get to the school and get used to the campus, it's not about the coach that was recruiting him anymore. They fall in love with the school and the campus. With the coach, it's more about getting their foot in the door. As soon as they report to campus, the school and the atmosphere takes care of the rest.

141203[/snapback]

Well, you'd better explain this "enlightened" way of thinking to Coach Tuberville. He has specifically said that he isn't going to interfere with another school's recruiting efforts by hiring away one of their coaches until after signing day.

Thanks Mack Brown and Gene Chizik!  I guess it would have killed you to wait a few more weeks after signing day.  There's no loyalty.

141137[/snapback]

LOYALTY? :blink:

So you are saying that we should recruit some kid by telling him Chizik would for sure for certain absolutely no doubt about it be his coach, all the while knowing full well that Chizik was heading to the Horns? The kid comes to Auburn and locks himself in to the next four or five years of his life because he wants Chizik to be his coach. No sooner does he arrive than BAM! Chizik is gone and the kid is disallusioned and feels betrayed before training camp even starts!!! NOW where's the LOYALTY? Auburn University has more class than to lie to some kid to get him to sign.

We want players that WANT to be at AUBURN - if the reason they want to be ANYWHERE is the connection they feel for a certain coach or a certain degree a school offers or any other nebulous thing, we should just accept it and move on.

If my child was offered full scholarships to three different schools, including Auburn, but the dream she had for herself could be better fulfilled somewhere besides Auburn, then guess what??? She goes where she is best suited. Same goes for these kids. The rest of us need to shut the hell up and waiting to see what Tubby does with the players he has.

The New England Patriots are a perfect example of how you don't need an outpouring of talent on the field to be champions. There might be - MIGHT BE - three members of that team who will get to the Hall of Fame and one of those is the damn KICKER!!! But those Lombardi trophies lined up at the offices show that championship teams are made, not recruited, come from being well coached, not from a few marquee-egos.

My money is on Tubby and the coaching staff making the most out of whatever hand they are dealt. They do have some control, but at the end of the day, they will work with those players that want to be part of the Auburn Experience and we will continue to succeed.

Archived