On a positive note

austudnt23

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't care what the Clemson player did you don't commit that penalty on what was about to be a 3rd down in a close ball game under any circumstances. That eventually resulted in a TD although it did take DW throwing a 3rd and goal from the 17 I believe TD pass. 

Agreed, dumb move on Matthews part.  Coaches need to get in his head and correct this attitude quick or sit him on the bench.

I don't disagree with what all of you are saying.

I have done the same thing our player did. Your laying it all out with everything you have and you get frustrated and then you make a mistake after a comment from the other team. I ran line drills the next practice until I got sick. 

Next game started again and never repeated the action.

The next year tried to take the players head off.

As I sit here watching the replay of the game, I am seeing so many opportunities that we failed to take advantage of. We beat ourselves up and down the field. I think most folks are missing the fact that Clemson is the number 2 team in the country that very well could have been number 1. I am going to give the team a mulligan and see how they do next week. Arky State is not a push over whatsoever.  If our offense gets things right for next week, we will see a team that can hang with any team in the country.

54 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

As I sit here watching the replay of the game, I am seeing so many opportunities that we failed to take advantage of. We beat ourselves up and down the field. I think most folks are missing the fact that Clemson is the number 2 team in the country that very well could have been number 1. I am going to give the team a mulligan and see how they do next week. Arky State is not a push over whatsoever.  If our offense gets things right for next week, we will see a team that can hang with any team in the country.

This is my stance. I was pissed walking out of the stadium, because I knew we could/should have won. I was baffled by the QB rotation and how our offense performed in the first half. After watching the replay and with less emotion, I see positives and I'm not ready to give up on this season. Our D played very good and Clemson received some help from the refs(a lot of push offs by their receivers, holding not being called on both sides of the ball for them, etc.). I hope that Gus will settle on Sean as the QB and put together a game plan that fits him. The experiment with all 3 QBs should have never happened, but it needs to stop immediately! Hopefully we can learn from this game and put together a good season.  If we can cut down on a few of our mistakes, I think we can win every game left on the schedule. Lay an egg against Ark State and this will be a long year.   

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't care what the Clemson player did you don't commit that penalty on what was about to be a 3rd down in a close ball game under any circumstances. That eventually resulted in a TD although it did take DW throwing a 3rd and goal from the 17 I believe TD pass. 

Agreed. Once you're that blatant it so outweighs the taunting you're not gonna get it.

7 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

From the games I saw yesterday we should and can win out and make the iron bowl very interesting. UAT looks to be in their own stratosphere as far as teams in the SEC. We have the talent and are capable of beating all the teams up to the iron bowl, and you never know what will happen in that game.  I haven't seen a defense this good at Auburn since 2004. That offense we played against last night is VERY good led by the best player in the country. They also had a stud rb and stud wr. We basically shut them down minis the back shoulder throws. A couple of questionable pass interference and holding calls cost us dearly. And Tray Matthew's wth are you thinking. 

I am just as Dissapointed in our coaching last night as anyone trust me. There was no excuse for what I saw last night on the offensive side of the ball. The substitutions at qb at the absolutely wrong time that killed drives. I knew that they planned to play all 3 qbs but the way they went about it was absolutely ridiculous and an embarrassment. JJ should not see the field again this year imo. He looked good at first but then looked like the 2015 JJ. I do think a combo of JF3 and SW could be a pretty good option. However, from what I saw out of us and other teams last night we are capable to win out until the UAT game. Texas A&M looked good at times, LSU looks worse than us on offense, and UGA has a worse qb situation than we do. If we had Trevor Knight we would have won by 10 last night and there is no telling how good we would have been imo. I think Gus will get this fixed offensively. I had been told JF3 wasn't quite ready and it showed on a couple of the reads he made last night where if he would have kept instead of giving the ball he would have had a big gain. Man it was nice to see those big running lanes when he was in the game though. SW also looked like he can be a serviceable qb. He has to get better in the red zone and not miss open guys for td's. His overthrow on the throwback to COX was very costly. That was a sure fire TD that we ended up getting 0 points from after JJ came in and got stopped on 4th down. 

The defense was better than even I expected and the offense was alot worse. I think we can and will get some sort of offense that we can win alot of games this year. Remember if you want to lose a game the first game of the year against the number 2 team and best player in the nation is the time to do it. Now let's get the offense fixed and win.

Thanks. Any idea why Pettway didn't get a carry?

5 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

I honestly think this was truly Gus Malzahn's gameplan last night.  I have never seen such insanity in my life.

And I hope to God I never see that Cox whirlybird snap again....ever.  

Gus Malzahn needs to get out of his own way. 

14232599_10153721638866691_1975882460240

Now that's funny.....as for CC's whirlybird that play is from his high school so Gus stole it from the Apopka Blue Darters

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Thanks. Any idea why Pettway didn't get a carry?

I was thinking the same thing about Pettway.  I thought he would have gotten at least a decent amount of carries. Gus should move Lashlee to an off field position if this is possible and hire Kendall Briles asap. This could breathe life back into the offense and who knows after that. If we can get to the point of averaging 400 plus yards per game, our D will be even far more intimidating. If we can shut Clemson down to 19 points, we can do the same in the Iron Bowl. That would be so sweet.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Now that's funny.....as for CC's whirlybird that play is from his high school so Gus stole it from the Apopka Blue Darters

In watching the game review (posted in this forum) there were 2 shots of those plays. Both were successful. On one CC kept it up the middle for about 5 yards. The other was a handoff to KJ who ran for about 8 yards. It may not be as bad of a play as it seems.  I admit before seeing that replay I was baffled by it as well, but it apparently can actually work. 

23 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I was thinking the same thing about Pettway.  I thought he would have gotten at least a decent amount of carries. Gus should move Lashlee to an off field position if this is possible and hire Kendall Briles asap. This could breathe life back into the offense and who knows after that. If we can get to the point of averaging 400 plus yards per game, our D will be even far more intimidating. If we can shut Clemson down to 19 points, we can do the same in the Iron Bowl. That would be so sweet.

Gus' problem isn't Rhett, I'm afraid. If he hires Briles he needs to get out of his way.

To stick to the spirit of the thread, my positives:

-Kerryon Johnson looks electric and, despite the call being overturned, I liked seeing him run a pattern downfield.

-We were all impressed with the D, but DeShaun Davis was outstanding, Holsey played pretty darn well, and tackling was solid.

-The potential for a JFIII-led/Nick Marshall style offense is there.

-The offense made significant improvements in the 2nd half

-Daniel Carlson was solid

We held one of the best offenses in the college football to under 20 points. That means that if we can just score 20 points, there's no reason we can't beat anyone. Now if we can't even reach that 20 point mark by the end of the season, then some heads really do need to roll.

11 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Anyone else wonder why we decided to blitz when it was third and goal from the 17?  I loved what the defense did all night but it seemed an odd time for the blitz call.  I am not a coach so if y'all disagree please enlighten me.

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

Did anyone notice Rudy Ford on offense? Jeremy Johnson pulled it instead of handing it off because Braden missed his block on the pull. 2:49 mark in 1st quarter.

Nice catch. And boy, did Braden miss that block...

9 minutes ago, AUTUmike said:

Nice catch. And boy, did Braden miss that block...

It was hard to notice with all the QB subs which may have been what Malzahn was trying to accomplish. Make Clemson pay attention to the QB substitution instead of the other backfield substitutions. 

12 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

-The potential for a JFIII-led/Nick Marshall style offense is there.

Do you base this on the fact that he didn't run the ball once, on the way he hands the ball off, or on the one -3 yard pass?  Still looking for someone to have a real answer to this. 

On 9/4/2016 at 0:03 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm with you 23. The offensive play calling (QB carousel) was the ONLY problem from last night that I saw throughout the game. The O line got better as the game went on and you have to wonder if part of the initial struggle was the play calling situation. I honestly think Gus thought he had to be cute to win. Not a lot of faith in his guys.

The D will win games. LSU, MSU, and Ark come to mind. We will win those games 10-9 or 17-14. UGA is going to get better, aTm and Bama look good. 

On to Ark St and getting better. WDE

Good thoughts all.

Just one small point I'd like to add is the (it seems) inability for Gus to teach/allow his QB's to vary the snap count.  I know the O-line didn't have their best game, especially early on.  However, Clemson's front 4/7 were allowed time and time again to pin their ears back and jump the count.  It's hard for tackles to pick up ends who have a head-start. It's hard for guards to pull when they're crashing into DTs already in their lanes. It's hard for a QB to go through any progression when the ENTIRE D-line's already chasing him as soon as he takes the snap.

Just 1 small adjustment of varying the snap-count would do wonders to help the offensive line. The goal is to make the D react to the O....not the other way around.

Now with that said.... The positives:

Effort. Again, I saw heart and soul on both sides of the ball.

I don't recall any WR drops. Matter of fact, I saw the ability to make adjustments and get to the ball. Will Hastings looks like the 2nd coming of Trey Gainous.

KJ will be a beast if Gus'll let him.

The O DID play better in the 2nd half despite being given nothing to work with.

Carlson IS the next Groza Award winner...take it to the bank.

DEFENSE! ...period.  Outside of a couple crucial mental errors that ended up in drive extending penalties, they were beyond solid...they were dynamite!  Even after the Def Holding in the endzone on third down...it took Clemson 4 downs to punch it in.  If this performance is "only the beginning"....the sky's the limit!  Color me impressed!

War Eagle!

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

One of the best plays to me, was Sean's hot read. Perfect read and great pass.

If allowed to... SW and Hastings / Davis could absolutely pick opposing D's apart and also open up the run for KJ.

3 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Do you base this on the fact that he didn't run the ball once, on the way he hands the ball off, or on the one -3 yard pass?  Still looking for someone to have a real answer to this. 

I'm basing that statement on how much running lanes opened up for Kerryon Johnson with JFIII in the game. The fact that he didn't keep the ball once and they still had success rushing with him in the game only further makes the point. 

2 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

I'm basing that statement on how much running lanes opened up for Kerryon Johnson with JFIII in the game. The fact that he didn't keep the ball once and they still had success rushing with him in the game only further makes the point. 

Running lanes solely based on uncertainty. No one knows what type of threat he is so they played it safe. It had nothing at all to do with him showing or doing anything.  We can't base an offense on one guy that we have never seen do anything solely because the defense was unsure of what he might do. That's extremely flawed logic. 

On September 4, 2016 at 11:00 AM, CR said:

Always respect your take on things, but I just don't see how anyone can have faith in Gus at this point. I was hoping Hand would help shake things up offensively but that performance last night was an absolute disaster. O-line was blown up, QB looked to be picked by rock-paper-scissors, Pettway non-existent...just bad. Defense was lights out but I don't know how long they can go with no assistance from the offense. And Gus seemed defiant after the game about sticking to his plan.

Stubbornness will be the end of CGM.  He "said" he was getting back to his roots, he was giving up the CEO aspect of his job and getting back to the basics that he loved....coaching football.  He brought in his man Herb Hand to help brainstorm and get the offensive game plan figured out.  We all hoped Gus had learned lessons for last years offensive disaster.

What a mess.

Archived