On a positive note

austudnt23

2 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Running lanes solely based on uncertainty. No one knows what type of threat he is so they played it safe. It had nothing at all to do with him showing or doing anything.  We can't base an offense on one guy that we have never seen do anything solely because the defense was unsure of what he might do. That's extremely flawed logic. 

No, it isn't flawed logic at all. We have clear evidence that running lanes were considerably more favorable for Kerryon Johnson when JFIII ran the option. Will that always be the case if JFIII never keeps it?--probably not. But the fact that our running game looked the best when JFIII was in the game indicates that even the threat of him keeping it on options is enough to make the defense focus less on stopping the RB. Obviously no one knows if JFIII will look good running the ball, but as long as defenses show him that much respect, RBs will continue to feast. Uncertainty is the very element which an offense is trying to force upon the defense by running any type of option.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

No, it isn't flawed logic at all. We have clear evidence that running lanes were considerably more favorable for Kerryon Johnson when JFIII ran the option. Will that always be the case if JFIII never keeps it?--probably not. But the fact that our running game looked the best when JFIII was in the game indicates that even the threat of him keeping it on options is enough to make the defense focus less on stopping the RB. Obviously no one knows if JFIII will look good running the ball, but as long as defenses show him that much respect, RBs will continue to feast. Uncertainty is the very element which an offense is trying to force upon the defense by running any type of option.

You seem to be of the impression that the uncertainty will last forever. It will be gone once he shows what he does and then defenses will game plan for him. By game 3 or 4 he has to be able to beat the best defenses in the country when there is no uncertainty.  He has to be able to play a defense that knows what he is going to do and still be successful. If we aren't sure he can do that, then making him the guy is a terrible idea. Right now, we have NO idea that he is capable of that. 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:29 AM, austudnt23 said:

From the games I saw yesterday we should and can win out and make the iron bowl very interesting. UAT looks to be in their own stratosphere as far as teams in the SEC. We have the talent and are capable of beating all the teams up to the iron bowl, and you never know what will happen in that game.  I haven't seen a defense this good at Auburn since 2004. That offense we played against last night is VERY good led by the best player in the country. They also had a stud RB and stud WR. We basically shut them down minis the back shoulder throws. A couple of questionable pass interference and holding calls cost us dearly. And Tray Matthew's wth are you thinking. 

I am just as dissapointed in our coaching last night as anyone trust me. There was no excuse for what I saw last night on the offensive side of the ball. The substitutions at QB at the absolutely wrong time that killed drives. I knew that they planned to play all 3 QBs but the way they went about it was absolutely ridiculous and an embarrassment. JJ should not see the field again this year IMO. He looked good at first but then looked like the 2015 JJ. I do think a combo of JF3 and SW could be a pretty good option. However, from what I saw out of us and other teams last night we are capable to win out until the UAT game. Texas A&M looked good at times, LSU looks worse than us on offense, and UGA has a worse qb situation than we do. If we had Trevor Knight we would have won by 10 last night and there is no telling how good we would have been imo. I think Gus will get this fixed offensively. I had been told JF3 wasn't quite ready and it showed on a couple of the reads he made last night where if he would have kept instead of giving the ball he would have had a big gain. Man it was nice to see those big running lanes when he was in the game though. SW also looked like he can be a serviceable qb. He has to get better in the red zone and not miss open guys for td's. His overthrow on the throwback to COX was very costly. That was a sure fire TD that we ended up getting 0 points from after JJ came in and got stopped on 4th down. 

The defense was better than even I expected and the offense was alot worse. I think we can and will get some sort of offense that we can win alot of games this year. Remember if you want to lose a game the first game of the year against the number 2 team and best player in the nation is the time to do it. Now let's get the offense fixed and win.

Pretty fair view but I am just concerned about the O. While our play calling certainly did not help our scenario, I just believe we have a talent issue on that side of the ball. Our skill position talent is lacking.  We have all gone back and forth on the QB situation but it certainly seems to be that we are talent lacking at that position. We have 1 running back in KJ. Even thought people were hyped about KP, I imagine we didn't see him because he is too slow from hand off to point of attack. I think there is potential talent with the younger wide receivers but the upperclassmen have not produced in previous years, so why should they now. One think I noticed Saturday ( and not just our game) but it seems that you better have some big tall receivers. We are running a lot of 5'9" guys around. I think that is fine for the slot positions and mismatches but not the outside. It is strange to say that we lack in talent but in retrospect you can see an explanation. We have missed on a lot of QB's over the last couple of years, and none of our current guys are the level that is needed; we had 3 RB that could potentially return and play this year and none are here, and I think we had just recruited wrong at the outside positions. I think we are in for a long year on the O side of the ball.

There are only two things I can think of to rationally explain the circus I saw on Saturday night in Auburn:  1)  The fix was in and the boosters all had their money on Auburn; and 2) Gus Malzahn has drank so much coffee that the caffeine isn't enough anymore, so, he had to compensate and hit a speedball in the bathroom right before the game.

I have never seen a coach call plays that looked like he either was intentionally trying to lose the game or either he just wanted to experiment with what his qb's could do against a nationally ranked opponent.  I mean when any of our quarterbacks got into any type of rhythm they got yanked, it defies all that is right in the football universe and no coach I know of would do something like that.  I mean we called some plays in the Notre Dame box...I think there is a reason no team has run plays out of the Notre Dame box in the modern era, too much defensive speed.  Also, we ran the box and the reverse statute of liberty play at-least 3 times against a front 7 blitz like three maybe five times.

I also have an issue with Malzahn not knowing how to run a halfback screen, or throwing a wide receiver screen when there is press man coverage, we were lucky that one wasn't intercepted.  I believe it is time for us to move away from Gus Malzahn, I believe that the pressure and his lack of creativity as a play-caller has exposed him for what he is, a really good high school coach who cannot adapt to the personnel he has.  Speaking of personnel, he looks like he has no clue on how to prepare quarterbacks or develop any offensive talent that we have on the team like what is expected of college coaches.  Speaking of college coaches, Kevin Steele did one helluva job with our defense, it was a thing of beauty holding Clemson to 19 points.  War Eagle!

Sorry Defiant, you obviously did not notice that the OP was "On a positive note".....you have managed to send 3 paragraphs with only one positive "note"....though perhaps taking that "on  A positive note to heart and provide a positive note to go with the raft of negative ones.    No matter what the subject ....we manage to convert the discussion to the negative side.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Sorry Defiant, you obviously did not notice that the OP was "On a positive note".....you have managed to send 3 paragraphs with only one positive "note"....though perhaps taking that "on  A positive note to heart and provide a positive note to go with the raft of negative ones.    No matter what the subject ....we manage to convert the discussion to the negative side.

Last sentence, he has it covered.

AU64, I guess I have to apologize.  However, there were no positives on Auburn's offense except Kerryon Johnson and Will Hastings.  Many live in a world where there is bias and spin control, In my world I only see and tell the truth.

2 minutes ago, The Defiant said:

AU64, I guess I have to apologize.  However, there were no positives on Auburn's offense except Kerryon Johnson and Will Hastings.  Many live in a world where there is bias and spin control, In my world I only see and tell the truth.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen the spin doctor's come out in full force on the board yet. 

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

Oddly enough, I haven't seen the spin doctor's come out in full force on the board yet. 

Well there is not much to spin...but if I had the gif or whatever, I would post that well beaten horse somewhere on this site.   

Spin and verbal abuse are not the only two options when discussing the rest of the season. JMO

On 9/4/2016 at 10:29 AM, austudnt23 said:

From the games I saw yesterday we should and can win out and make the iron bowl very interesting. UAT looks to be in their own stratosphere as far as teams in the SEC. We have the talent and are capable of beating all the teams up to the iron bowl, and you never know what will happen in that game.  I haven't seen a defense this good at Auburn since 2004. That offense we played against last night is VERY good led by the best player in the country. They also had a stud RB and stud WR. We basically shut them down minis the back shoulder throws. A couple of questionable pass interference and holding calls cost us dearly. And Tray Matthew's wth are you thinking. 

I am just as dissapointed in our coaching last night as anyone trust me. There was no excuse for what I saw last night on the offensive side of the ball. The substitutions at QB at the absolutely wrong time that killed drives. I knew that they planned to play all 3 QBs but the way they went about it was absolutely ridiculous and an embarrassment. JJ should not see the field again this year IMO. He looked good at first but then looked like the 2015 JJ. I do think a combo of JF3 and SW could be a pretty good option. However, from what I saw out of us and other teams last night we are capable to win out until the UAT game. Texas A&M looked good at times, LSU looks worse than us on offense, and UGA has a worse qb situation than we do. If we had Trevor Knight we would have won by 10 last night and there is no telling how good we would have been imo. I think Gus will get this fixed offensively. I had been told JF3 wasn't quite ready and it showed on a couple of the reads he made last night where if he would have kept instead of giving the ball he would have had a big gain. Man it was nice to see those big running lanes when he was in the game though. SW also looked like he can be a serviceable qb. He has to get better in the red zone and not miss open guys for td's. His overthrow on the throwback to COX was very costly. That was a sure fire TD that we ended up getting 0 points from after JJ came in and got stopped on 4th down. 

The defense was better than even I expected and the offense was alot worse. I think we can and will get some sort of offense that we can win alot of games this year. Remember if you want to lose a game the first game of the year against the number 2 team and best player in the nation is the time to do it. Now let's get the offense fixed and win.

:rollin: :gofig: :blink: Wow. 

Archived