Clemson Game Report Card

StatTiger

5 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

You have an over inflated opinion of yourself and your opinions.  It is OK that you disagree with me.  I do not hate Gus and was driving the Gus Bus until uga 2014.  I would suggest that you should grow up. How old are you and when did you graduate from AU.  I am 53, graduated from AU in 1986 and put one daughter through school at AU.

Edited to add:  I understand that you do not like me because I challenge your fantasy world. That is OK because the feeling is mutual.  You don't respect me and I don't respect you.    Let Golf, Titan, etc moderate me.

wde

That's not your decision to make.  You are subject to moderation by any of the MODERATORS.

5 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

That's not your decision to make.  You are subject to moderation by any of the MODERATORS.

I know that.  Just a suggestion.  I trust certain moderators to be fair.

wde

Edited by AUIH1

Not to take away from our problems, but LSU was far more woeful than our performance. I would hate to see what their boards are saying about Les Miles. They played an unranked team and lost. I think we will beat LSU and will do so to the tune that most of what we saw last night will hopefully vanish into oblivion and a new day of exciting Auburn football on both sides of the ball returns. Remember, a high tide floats all turds. A low tide leaves them beached and stinking in the hot sunlight!

Edited by doc4aday
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I know that.  Just a suggestion.  I trust certain moderators to be fair.

wde

You can trust all of the MODERATORS, we don't pick on posters for personal reasons.   Believe it or not but we moderate each other and discuss what is going on where and when.  If you have a problem and think you can't trust what is happening as far as moderation then you can PM any MODERATOR or ADMIN you choose to discuss the problem.

5 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

You can trust all of the MODERATORS, we don't pick on posters for personal reasons.   Believe it or not but we moderate each other and discuss what is going on where and when.  If you have a problem and think you can't trust what is happening as far as moderation then you can PM any MODERATOR or ADMIN you choose to discuss the problem.

LOL I have and that is why I posted what I did.  We just need to disagree about your 1st sentence.  I am fine with this board. There are Mods who I respect a lot in terms of how they respond and do things.   Heck Titan has even banned me, but I respect him and he and I have had good back and forth on PM even when we disagree.  That is not the case with the Mod who called me out.  

wde

So being relatively new here, is it not ok to criticize Gus (within reason) here after that unbelievable mess last night? 

As bad as it was, to be within one batted pass from tying it up is almost inconceivable.  Kudos to Dabo for making one of the most questionable calls of the night  last night on that field by not icing the game with a chip shot field goal at the end to put it out of reach.  Can u imagine the headlines today if AU came down with that ball in the endzone after the offensive presentation we witnessed coming from AU?  Dabo would have taken a HUGE hit with such a loss.  

Edited by Woodstock Tiger

1 minute ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

So being relatively new here, is it not ok to criticize Gus (within reason) here after that unbelievable mess last night? 

As bad as it was, to be within one batted pass from tying it up is almost inconceivable.  Kudos to Dabo for making one 

Depends on who you are and which person with MOD in their title takes it.  If varies.

wde

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Depends on who you are and which person with MOD in their title takes it.  If varies.

wde

Being new also, I just realized how that worked when I had a post deleted because they felt it did not fit their forum...oh well, everybody's entitled to their opinion, but there seems to be some censorship going on

6 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

As bad as it was, to be within one batted pass from tying it up is almost inconceivable.  Kudos to Dabo for making one of the most questionable calls of the night  last night on that field by not icing the game with a chip shot field goal at the end to put it out of reach.  Can u imagine the headlines today if AU came down with that ball in the endzone after the offensive presentation we witnessed coming from AU?  Dabo would have taken a HUGE hit with such a loss.  

Having been a member of this forum for over a decade, you can absolutely criticize Gus (or any member of the coaching staff).  Rational criticism will almost always be treated as such by anyone worth responding to here.  That said, trashing players is (and should be) off limits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WeagleAU said:

Being new also, I just realized how that worked when I had a post deleted because they felt it did not fit their forum...oh well, everybody's entitled to their opinion, but there seems to be some censorship going on

No it's not censorship, it's having rules and abiding by them.

Read this

Well we are probably all big Gus fans and it has taken some awful offense to get us to this point. Gus has the best chance of success he will ever have if he does not blow it. This insanity with the QBs will get him fired. He must take a step back and listen to some of the more experienced coaches and mentors to get past this. He does not have to change his offensive philosophy but he does have to not beat himself. He is his own worst enemy. All we need to see is improvement and not beat ourselves. It is ironic that it is the Defense that has tremendously improved to be what was needed in 2013 to win the BCS.  

All zeroes for the offense puts everything into clear perspective. 

Contrary to all of the bizarre events that occurred on the offensive side of the ball Saturday evening, we were still in a position to win the game at the end.  However, IMO the program should have never been allowed to degrade to the point of having to resort to bizarre schemes and questionable play calling in the first place.  Our head coach is paid over $4 million a year and has failed us miserably.  Although I absolutely detest the thought of hitting reset and going through a multi-year rebuilding process, I certainly don't think Auburn is getting a good return on their $4 million+ investment.  I have been a huge supporter of Gus Malzahn from day 1 and I still hope that things can somehow be turned around, but I'm starting to question when we should start thinking about cutting our losses and moving on.  The players and fans deserve much more than what they've been getting.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 3

I have been a Gus fan from the start.  But Saturday night was the first time I really questioned what was going on.  Although I don't like it, I can kind of understand giving each QB an opportunity to perform.  But you can't do goofy/gimmick plays with one and compare that to straight plays.  I felt the play calling for JJ was the right plays, but the ones for SW and JFIII at the start were too gimmicky.  Then JJ had some success (good for him) and moved the team but on the next serious he returned to the JJ of last year.  I think (HOPE) we have seen the last of JJ at QB. (I could give examples but dont wntto bash the player).

I know several say we were in the game and had a chance to win last drive (true), BUT with better offensive play calling and more importantly, keeping one consistent starting QB in the game, I think we could have been in the lead, instead of chasing it (or at least where LEGATRON could have won it for us.

I will admit I am one of those who said what I expect based on SW getting us 20 to 20 last year, expect to see JFIII in inside the red zone and JJ in when we are close(7-yards, short yardage to gain).  And that is what we got and it failed.  Sorry I said, Gus must have read and thought I knew more than him (just kidding).

Finally, with what I saw, I still think we can win several games this year.  I expect the talking heads to call for a 6-win season, I still think we are in the 8 to 10 wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auskull said:

Well we are probably all big Gus fans and it has taken some awful offense to get us to this point. Gus has the best chance of success he will ever have if he does not blow it. This insanity with the QBs will get him fired. He must take a step back and listen to some of the more experienced coaches and mentors to get past this. He does not have to change his offensive philosophy but he does have to not beat himself. He is his own worst enemy. All we need to see is improvement and not beat ourselves. It is ironic that it is the Defense that has tremendously improved to be what was needed in 2013 to win the BCS.  

I love Gus and have stood behind him from the beginning, but Saturdays showing on offense has made me question his thought processes. That debacle on Offense was literally the most insane bunch of bull**** I think I have ever witnessed in college football. If Gus sticks with Sean and have JF3 run packages I think they can be successful. Sean is no world beater, but he is serviceable enough to make the O run. Gus isn't using him right. The OL HAS to get better or none of it will matter either way. I do think the D has shown it can hold its own and possible keep us in every game this year, but the O has to produce something.....anything resembling an average offense. I'm not throwing in the towel, but that shitshow has to change and today isn't soon enough. Stick with Sean and let it be what it is or go with JF3 and let it be what it is. The 3 ring QB circus isn't going to work at any rate. We most likely would've won Saturday if he had stuck with Sean or let JF3 stay in. Heck, at this point I'm not opposed to letting JJ stay in. Just let them find a rhythm one way or another.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DivisionN said:

I have narrowed down my reasoning to two conclusions: Either Gus has a tumor in his brain which has caused him to forget everything he learned about offense, or he has an evil twin who has swapped places with him. Weird. 

I don't mean to pick on you DividionN,  but I am baffled at how so many people on this board didn't see this coming.   Nothing has changed.  The crappy play calling and lack of reasonable strategy has been going on under Gus since high school.      

Gus can not develop a QB.  His gimmick plays result in loss of yards.    Busted plays, illegal formation/procedure/substitutions are common.   He can not evaluate talent.   He can not coach up recruits.   His O can not maintain consistent drives.  He  stops doing whatever is working in a game, as if he is thinking "they wont be expecting this illogical play.  That'll fool 'em".    There have been very few games with Gus as HC that we actually looked like a real football team.  Even in our wins, most of the game the team looked lost more often than they looked like we knew what  they were doing.  A boat load of crappy plays followed by  the rare genius play.  Without an exceptionally athletic QB to turn a loss of 3 yards  into a gain of 30,  Gus is dead in the water.  He is not an offensive guru..  He never was.     I suspect this is why Chizik  "meddled" in the offense.  He could see that Gus was a fraud, and that his offense was going nowhere without an exceptional athlete on O.   Unfortunately the public had the wool pulled over our eyes by ESPN and everyone just KNEW Gus was an offensive genius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

All zeroes for the offense puts everything into clear perspective. 

....  i absolutely detest thought of hitting reset going through a multi-year rebuilding process, I certainly don't think Auburn is getting a good return on their $4 million+ investment...  

Do you think it would be better to go through another year or two of this crap before we start the rebuild?    It will be 2020 before we may be competitive again. 

The rebuild should have started after last year.  We could have had a competitive team by 2018. (earlier with the right coach.)    

I do not ask the team to win every game.   I just want us to look competitive in every game.   Even in our losses we should look like a well oiled machine.   What we have under Gus is a is a team that looks unstable, even in the games we win.  

No, I definitely don't want to go through another year of this 3 ring cluster.  IMO we are rapidly approaching the point of no return where will be forced to move in another direction.  I'm just tired the several year cycle we've been in of hiring a new coach and rebuilding.  "Just wait til next year" is getting really old.  

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 2

Well its up to Gus, it is his team and ultimately the proof is in the pudding. I suspect that If after 5 games we have a losing season and the Offence looks lifeless, then it will implode to the extent that projecting ticket sales for next year among other things will determine his future. Basically the same scenario as midseason 2012. 

I think it is easy to see where Gus's thoughts are. He has had two dismal years offensively since 2013 and also in 2011 after 2010. Folks are questioning his status as an offensive guru (a reputation he has built over the years). I truly think he has allowed his ego to get the better of him. He is not concerned with just getting back to being successful, he now feels obligated to prove to the world he is some sort of Enstien of the offense. Believe me I wish I was being sarcastic but I am not. I think he is on the verge of a mental breakdown trying to prove this. Gus is wise enough to understand that what he did Saturday night was foolish. Even Rhett was looking in amazement at times Saturday night. I think this same mentality was the undoing of Chizik who felt he did not get enough credit for 2010. I truly hope that someone steps up and gets Gus some counseling, if not , not only could the season be a disaster and Gus be fired, but Gus as a person, father and husband could suffer severely. Maybe Bo, Cam, Pat or JJ can take him aside and get his mental problem corrected, I am serious I don't think you see a normal person act this irrational. WDE

• Like 1

I agree with how awful the play calling was for sure. I would like to know if Pettway was hurt. No excuse for not letting him run the ball. I sick at looking at us alerting the defense that we are about to snap the ball. 

Thanks Stat.  Good analysis as usual.  That was the biggest mess of an offense I have ever seen from an Auburn football team.  It made Nallsminger look like the New Englad Patriots.  I too have been a Gus fan but I'm beginning to think he is in over his head.  I hope if he makes it through the year, which I now doubt, he will consider bringing in a real OC and getting out of the way.  

I don't see Gus listening to anyone but JJ and JJ is going to defend his hiring decision especially after giving him contract extension. Two of our biggest problems are Prez Jay Gouge who is satisfied with 8 win seasons and good grad rates and obviously JJ. Our best hope is Gus seeing the light and making significant changes quickly which seem like a stretch. JJ hiring another HC is not the solution. Our leadership is not up for the task.

War Eagle ! 

• Like 1