Upon Further Review - Clemson Game

StatTiger

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:26 AM, aucanucktiger said:

Changing our name to stat&opiniontiger? That's cool, just don't hold yourself out as an "only the facts" poster if you're adding opinion without objective backup like how much alternating underachieving QBs "disrupts" the offense. You have no idea if that made bad execution worse or mitigated by variety what would otherwise have been a 4 interception night for a trio of tanking QBs. I got yer stat&opinion right here: unranked AU plays poorly on Oline & O execution in general but still loses to #2 by only 6 pts, throwing into the end zone to attempt the win as time expired.

Ditto. The D was stout and we were throwing into the end zone for a win against one of the best teams in the country.  It wasn't a disaster. No kind words for the Chinese fire drill at QB. How in the world did Malzahn think that might actually.work out?  It was almost astonishing to see a HC with considerable offensive chops stooping to something so seemingly amateurish. I can't decide if Malzahn was too confident in his cleverness as an offensive schemer or completely lacking in confidence in any of his 3 qbs.  Anyway, I thought White looked pretty good in the second half- he has live arm.

The tenor of many fans after this game is crazy out of wack and the piling on Gus reads like bizarre rage. A 6 point loss to #2 by our unranked team equates to a ridiculous AU game plan? Really?

10 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

The tenor of many fans after this game is crazy out of wack and the piling on Gus reads like bizarre rage. A 6 point loss to #2 by our unranked team equates to a ridiculous AU game plan? Really?

The defensive game plan was a thing of beauty and every Auburn fan should be very happy with the way they played.  The problem is that if we had a different offensive game plan, Auburn could have had at least a 1 point upset of the #2 team in the nation. 

Gus owned it and has deserved the criticism, it's the only was he can grow as a coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

No... rotating 5 different people at QB randomly equates to a ridiculous AU game plan. Pulling both Sean and John when they were successfully driving down the field equates to a ridiculous AU game plan. Starting with our smallest receiver at running back when we have 3 quality backs equates to a ridiculous AU game plan. Running Jeremy on 4th and 2 when we have Kam Pettway, who never got a single carry, equates to a ridiculous AU game plan. I'm sure I could think of more if I had the time.

Based on yesterday's press conference, after seeing the film, Gus realizes it, too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Keep in mind it's not the "AU game plan".  It was the "AU OFFENSIVE game plan".  The D was lights out and just about EVERYBODY has been on board with that.

However, the offense was SO bad.....

Hoowww Baad Waas Ittt?

It was SO bad, that all other things being equal Saturday night, with the 2015 offense, AU would have probably beaten CU by 2 touchdowns!

:rimshot:

(See...that's funny because nobody would mistake the 2015 offense for a good offense...)

• Like 4

On 9/5/2016 at 9:53 AM, steeleagle said:

The one thing I thought Gus' offense was key on was tempo and fast pacing. He always has talked about this during his coaching here as OC or as HC.

SO my question is, and i wish someone would ask him this, How can you keep tempo at a good pace or even a faster pace when you are changing out the QB 40% of the time?

You can't. That is why things like the Wildcat are designed to run out of a standard personnel grouping with no substitutions, leveraging existing players (RB, WR) on the direct snap, another RB or WR on the jet sweep, the QB put in a WR position, and an unbalanced line.

The substitution follies started last year, when we would line up, then substitute, allowing the defense to substitute, then having only 5 seconds left on the play clock to get the play off despite all of the signs and signalling in of the play from the sideline.

I just don't get it. The whole idea behind Malzahn's offense is the use of flexible players. The TE (the "5" in Malzahn's scheme) can play standing up as a receiver, hand-down as a TE, or in the backfield as a H-Back. The slot/flanker is the "2", which draws from the wingback in the Delaware Wing-T with the use of motion and as an second running back. The whole idea is you don't have to substitute. You can show a 3WR look, a 2WR look with a TE, or you can line up in a Wildcat power formation.

• Like 2