JMR

Things I Think I Saw.....

123 posts in this topic

Wr blocking for some reason has not been a strength the past 2 years. Sucks especially with how many screens gus loves to run. Liked the work Slayton did on that one screen pass to Marcus though. Here is to hoping some of younger bigger guys like Kyle Davis and NCM step up in that regard. 

@JMR thank you for joining this board.  I have enjoyed your posts and insight thus far

3 people like this

perfect. I have to agree, I have never seen such a clown show we called an offense. I used past tense in hopes that Gus has enough sense to that crap and get back to playing football. I also think having so many trick plays has to hurt chemistry. It would be nice just to line up and run or pass the ball without all the smoke and mirrors and just good execution. 

Do you go back and watch the games? I can't imagine picking up so many details live lol

Definitely impressed at the level of detail 

No sugar coating in that report. Thanks for an excellent summary. It really was as bad as most of us thought.   

49 minutes ago, JMR said:

I honestly don’t know if I’ve ever seen a more disorganized, poorly planned game at any level, be it middle school, high school, or college.

Could not have summed it up better.

2 people like this

Couldn't agree more with your quote below. I was surprised it hasn't been discussed more. In a six point game, these questionable calls were huge!

"On the other hand, some of the things DB’s get away with in the NFL, officials don’t let slide in college. Some teams are allowed to get away with holding onto a receiver, but Auburn is not one of those, and will not be"

Why is Auburn not one of these, and will probably never be?

I'm not blaming the refs for the loss but I think I saw Carl Lawson being held several time and no flag was thrown.

1 person likes this

I swear the Clemson WR's pushed off on 99% of the catches. That's why I was pissed but don't let us effin touch them or its a PI!!

Also, I need to go back and watch but the comments regarding Braden Smith surprises me.  Again, just knee-jerk w/o closely looking at film.

6 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Couldn't agree more with your quote below. I was surprised it hasn't been discussed more. In a six point game, these questionable calls were huge!

"On the other hand, some of the things DB’s get away with in the NFL, officials don’t let slide in college. Some teams are allowed to get away with holding onto a receiver, but Auburn is not one of those, and will not be"

Why is Auburn not one of these, and will probably never be?

Not sure why we don't get away with it but seems that Williams was quite adept at making a little push at the end to keep separation between himself and the defender....and Renfrew put his hand on the helmet of the AU defender just before that TD pass arrived.   Seems we might be missing something.

3 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I swear the Clemson WR's pushed off on 99% of the catches. That's why I was pissed but don't let us effin touch them or its a PI!!

I made the same comment during the game. Wide receivers are going to push off, and I don't blame them for hand fighting and whatnot. We certainly don't want the nitpicking calls, but a few times the push offs were just blatant.

2 people like this

I think I saw what you thought you saw.  Wish we both saw better offensive strategy, play calling and execution.  Glad we saw better defense than we've seen in awhile. Something we can build on for sure.

On your point regarding Jalen Harris' blocking: He is not and will not be a blocking TE. I've been saying this since watching him numerous times in HS. He routinely gets man handled by guys much smaller than him. Just not a very physical guy.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure why we don't get away with it but seems that Williams was quite adept at making a little push at the end to keep separation between himself and the defender....and Renfrew put his hand on the helmet of the AU defender just before that TD pass arrived.   Seems we might be missing something.

Exactly! In a six point game, those are huge calls/no-calls!

7 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Also, I need to go back and watch but the comments regarding Braden Smith surprises me.  Again, just knee-jerk w/o closely looking at film.

He did not have a good game. But it was a collective effort on the oline. 

To @JMR, I just want to say thank you for your even-handed and professional analysis.  I look forward to the next podcast sir. 

War Eagle!

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I try never to blame officials myself (regardless of the temptation) but to those referencing the questionable ref calls, Rod & Stan "reminded" everyone several times during the game that it was an ACC crew.  TIFWIW...

Please don't go down this road.  You are better than that.  The refs did not coordinate our O. 

wde

What is mind-boggling to me is every team has scripted the 15-25 plays of the game....I am curious if we scripted the plays and if so did they have it for the 3 QB's to be involved within the time they did???? If not, then as mentioned earlier...there were a lot of BINGO numbers called, but maybe we would have better luck running bingo numbers....

1 person likes this