Things I Think I Saw.....

JMR

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Please don't go down this road.  You are better than that.  The refs did not coordinate our O. 

wde

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was.... I wasn't.  No, Gus Malzahn, and maybe the entire offensive staff, holds this blame squarely on his/their shoulders, 100%. Last night made the 2015 offense look like a high octane Ferrari.  No excuses coming from me.

I merely meant to point to one small factoid out to those who mentioned the iffy calls...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Please don't go down this road.  You are better than that.  The refs did not coordinate our O. 

wde

I can only speak for myself, but I don't know that any of us are blaming the officials for the game. Simply pointing out, some obvious things that the author of this thread also observed.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I try never to blame officials myself (regardless of the temptation) but to those referencing the questionable ref calls, Rod & Stan "reminded" everyone several times during the game that it was an ACC crew.  TIFWIW...

I know how you feel.  I see too many questionable calls during games that I just cannot believe the refs don't see.  It does not help my thinking, knowing that the head of SEC officiating is a UAt graduate, and they were responsible for the replays last night - see the questionable Kerryon Johnson catch on the goalline overturned by the replay refs.   Imo refs affiliated with schools in their conference should not be allowed to officiate in that conference.

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I don't know that any of us are blaming the officials for the game. Simply pointing out, some obvious things that the author of this thread also observed.

There are Clemson fans complaining about the officials and saying the game was only close because of the refs.  They are just as wrong.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

There are Clemson fans complaining about the officials and saying the game was only close because of the refs.  They are just as wrong.

wde

Oh I see, you're just trying to pick a fight. Best of luck to you.

Just now, AU-24 said:

What? Not trying to pick a fight and I like the poster I responded too.  Just having a discussion which you are obviously incapable of.

wde

What's frustrating to me is that I saw wasted potential last night.  Our defense was lit last night.  I saw glimpses of great offensive play too.  It was the worst play calling I've ever seen.  And because of that, I'm frustrated.  With better play calling, we could've easily won the game and be a national contender.   But hey, at least we're not Mississippi State...

Our receivers are apparently coached not to push off.  Clemson's WR's do this on most pass plays or at least many. Was never called .  Blatant on their last touchdown. Can't blame them for pushing the envelope to see what they can get away when there is a lot of contact.

Just now, Ber798297 said:

What's frustrating to me is that I saw wasted potential last night.  Our defense was lit last night.  I saw glimpses of great offensive play too.  It was the worst play calling I've ever seen.  And because of that, I'm frustrated.  With better play calling, we could've easily won the game and be a national contender.   But hey, at least we're not Mississippi State...

True.  But with play calling like last night, the Mississippi State game will be a toss up.

wde

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

What? Not trying to pick a fight and I like the poster I responded too.  Just having a discussion which you are obviously incapable of.

wde

It's all good.  AUIH1 just misunderstood where I meant to go with my original post.  I've responded and hopefully it makes sense. BTW, I deleted the post cuz I DON'T think the refs had any real bearing on this outcome.

War Eagle to both of you!

16 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

They didn't but he is exactly right that their WRs were pushing off on nearly ever reception. Refs made some bias calls last night against AU. That is not a guess that is a fact. Whether it cost the game or not, I do not know, but it surely did not help. WDE

Just now, AUsince72 said:

It's all good.  AUIH1 just misunderstood where I meant to go with my original post.  I've responded and hopefully it makes sense. BTW, I deleted the post cuz I DON'T think the refs had any real bearing on this outcome.

War Eagle to both of you!

We are good AUsince72.  Have a great evening.

wde

7 minutes ago, Ber798297 said:

Absolutely correct!  What's so bad is we STILL don't know what any of the players can do because they were SO ill prepared.... And that's not THEIR fault.

As I'm typically a sunshine pumper, I'm simply going to hope (and trust???) that the HC gets his head out of High-School and moves forward...starting this week.

If not?  Well there's always beer...

This is a post from May.  Double Bubble is even worse than I thought then.

Plain and simple, Gus is hard headed and abrasive to a fault. This will be his ultimate undoing. Gus is going to do his thing no matter what. Everyone in America might know what is fixing to happen or what play is fixing to be called but Gus is not going to change it. I hate to say it but in a way Gus is pompous. A youth rec coach can get his team to change what they run on a fast paced play after a first down. Gus refuses to do it. Why? The WR Screen has not worked or fooled anyone since he was the OC here but he still runs the heck out of it. Why? We have not incorporated a single slant play in our offensive arsenal. In fact we either throw the WR Screen or we throw the go route and that is it. The most unimaginable route scheme I have ever seen and it has not changed. We went from the Darvin Adams jump ball to the Sammie Coates jump ball, to the throw it into triple coverage jump ball. Why? We line a in the elusive Wildcat formation and run the same play every single time. Never changing it, never a wrinkle, never something to make the defense think. Why? In front of the media Gus gives pressers or interviews like someone has inserted hot rocks into his pants. We criticize Saban for being a real turd when our own coach is the most non approachable guy during an interview. If he smiled just once during the Auburn Football Review with Bramlett or during a presser his face would shatter. Needless to say, I am not on the Gus Bus and I have no intentions of getting back on because he is too hard headed to stop at the red lights. As far as signs pointing to the unraveling of the team it is easy to see if you take the glasses off. You don't lose 11 staff members and 12 players from a smooth running machine.

Speaking of officiating...anybody else feel uncomfortable with the head of SEC officiating being a UAt graduate, and they were responsible for the replays last night - see the questionable Kerryon Johnson catch on the goal line overturned by the replay refs.   Imo refs affiliated with schools in their conference should not be allowed to officiate in that conference.

10 minutes ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

When they would show Gus on TV, he had that Mike Shula deer in the head lights look, like "What do we do now"!

When they showed previous heisman trophy winners the look on their faces wasnt great either. 

20 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Speaking of officiating...anybody else feel uncomfortable with the head of SEC officiating being a UAt graduate, and they were responsible for the replays last night - see the questionable Kerryon Johnson catch on the goal line overturned by the replay refs.   Imo refs affiliated with schools in their conference should not be allowed to officiate in that conference.

IMO, there is no practical way to have that kind of rule...... which automatically indicates that SEC college graduates can't be trusted to officiate honestly.  The officiating is bad enough as it is, without having to eliminate a huge number of otherwise qualified officials.

Still enjoy these reviews bc Coach Ray tells it exactly as he sees it. No sugarcoating win or lose.

@JMR I'd be interested to hear your prospective on Herb Hand being in the booth rather than on the sideline with the white board and if it could have negatively impacted or delayed our adjustments along the OLine.

From what I saw on TV last night, there were a lot of Clemson fans there.  I know Auburn gives a certain allotment of tickets to the opposing team, but there looked like there were way more Clemson fans outside the designated opposing teams section.  For anybody that was at the game, did you notice more fans of the opposing team than usual at the game?  I was kind of shocked at what I saw...not sure how that happened unless season ticket holders are selling their tickets to just anybody.

Archived