Things I Think I Saw.....

JMR

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Honestly, I don't think that we, as fans, are able to make any judgement on any of the QB's from this game. None of them were put into positions to succeed.

I think neither JJ nor SW surpassed the other in passing performance, nor can they be fairly judged, as with all of the silliness that was Gus' game plan everything just constantly imploded around them...both of them.

The only thing critical I can say about JJ, and again this is more Gus' fault...not JJ's really, is quit putting JJ in to run the ball. It's been said by others who know more than me, he doesn't like to run it....he ain't Cam no matter how badly Gus wants him to be. He runs like he's dodging spider webs and has since he's been at AU. Just let him be the pocket-passer he wants to be and it might do wonders for JJ's overall confidence and performance. I'll betcha we'd see a different QB if Gus would do that.

SW ain't afraid to mix it up on the ground, but that's not HIS primary goal either. I've been critical of why Gus brought in SW and Tyler Queen to begin with (but that's a philosophy conversation for another thread). But, like JJ, running plays should be left to the runners and just let SW run when he sees an opportunity. Otherwise, also like JJ, just let him be a quarterback and do what he does best.

As for JF3?  Well, all he did was handoff but his mere presence seemed to open up run lanes....and he never even ran it himself.  Just imagine if Gus would truly give him the options... Can he pass? Well, heck...in that offense he'd probably pass no worse than JJ or SW.  I'd say an out of conference game against Arky St would be a perfect opportunity to find out what he's truly made of. After the garbage from Sat, I'd chance an early season game plan if it meant possibly striking gold before the meat of the SEC schedule begins. The defense appears to be up to the task (FINALLY) of holding up their end and you can always fall back on one of the other 2 QB's if it doesn't work out....and that way, at least it appears to the fans that you're really trying to win and not just some crazy man who's finally snapped.

Regardless... Just pick one!

Excellent analysis, my friend.  I agree with every point.  I will add a few things.  

The first is that Clemson FINALLY figured out that John wasn't going to run it, and then his advantage instantly vanished.  If Gus would have let him keep it on his last play, I bet it would have gone for big yards.  

The second is that we are never going to see how good any of our QBs can pass if Gus doesn't leave them in the game long enough to develop some rhythm.

Finally, I do think there is one major thing that separates Sean from Jeremy, right now, and makes Sean the better choice.  Jeremy, while he has a decent top speed, is far from quick, as was evidenced by the two sacks. Sean, on the other hand, was near the top of the charts on some of our quickness tests.  If they O-line can't hold their ground, we need the quicker of the two passers to avoid pressure.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Excellent analysis, my friend.  I agree with every point.  I will add a few things.  

The first is that Clemson FINALLY figured out that John wasn't going to run it, and then his advantage instantly vanished.  If Gus would have let him keep it on his last play, I bet it would have gone for big yards.  

The second is that we are never going to see how good any of our QBs can pass if Gus doesn't leave them in the game long enough to develop some rhythm.

Finally, I do think there is one major thing that separates Sean from Jeremy, right now, and makes Sean the better choice.  Jeremy, while he has a decent top speed, is far from quick, as was evidenced by the two sacks. Sean, on the other hand, was near the top of the charts on some of our quickness tests.  If they O-line can't hold their ground, we need the quicker of the two passers to avoid pressure.

From what I watched on Gus's inteview, he was PROUD that he played all 3 and will continue to, that's what I got out of it. Sean and JF3 should get the snaps. JJ shouldn't.

17 minutes ago, Eltorpedo said:

From what I watched on Gus's inteview, he was PROUD that he played all 3 and will continue to, that's what I got out of it. Sean and JF3 should get the snaps. JJ shouldn't.

Tactic to avoid admitting he was wrong.  He might privately admit he was wrong, but he didn't want to admit that to the press for whatever reason.  I hope he realizes it and hasn't become that arrogant.

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Tactic to avoid admitting he was wrong.  He might privately admit he was wrong, but he didn't want to admit that to the press for whatever reason.  I hope he realizes it and hasn't become that arrogant.

Hammer?  Meet Nail.

I think that we ALL hope that you're right!

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Hope that's true, but man I would respect him a lot more if he came out and said, "You know what... I tried it and it didn't work.  The loss is on me and we're going to make changes."

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Hope that's true, but man I would respect him a lot more if he came out and said, "You know what... I tried it and it didn't work.  The loss is on me and we're going to make changes."

Absolutely and that would make me respect him all the more!  That would be true leadership.

I just hope that post-game presser was frustration and nothing more.  We'll soon find out.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yeah. It's not really in a lot of these coaches' DNA to admit fault- or a lot of QBs, for that matter (Hey Matt Ryan, "we" didn't throw a ******* interception, YOU did)- but it still makes the ineptitude more galling when they suggest the blame lies elsewhere. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Yeah. It's not really in a lot of these coaches' DNA to admit fault- or a lot of QBs, for that matter (Hey Matt Ryan, "we" didn't throw a ******* interception, YOU did)- but it still makes the ineptitude more galling when they suggest the blame lies elsewhere. 

I guess I expect more from Gus.  This year may just be the year that I realize how wrong I am about him... or he starts with the upcoming press conference and becomes the coach I've always thought he was.

After thinking about the game last Saturday and watching other college football games, I am convinced we have a Top 25 team on our hands. I actually think we'll win every game until Ole Miss, if we go and stay with a quarterback. Easier to be said than done, though...

As I recall Coach Pat Dye did not mind "admitting" that it was his fault if Auburn lost a game and didn't look particularly good in doing so (he didn't have to do it often).

That was both good and bad.  It was good for us fans....but it was BAD for his players.  Uh-oh...

Also, if I remember correctly, the next week's game was always a dominant AU victory.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

I agree 100%. Get his rear in there and fix it. Fix it now. I know this has been repeated over and over but, it was a bad circus with all that rotating. 

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

(Current press conference) - Unless my ears deceived me, Gus did just that!!!  Wow...I'm pleasantly surprised.  Maybe there IS hope!!!

War Eagle!

8 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

After thinking about the game last Saturday and watching other college football games, I am convinced we have a Top 25 team on our hands. I actually think we'll win every game until Ole Miss, if we go and stay with a quarterback. Easier to be said than done, though...

I don't know what we have, since it was only one game. What I know we don't have yet is problems that can't be fixed if Gus reestablishes an appropriate relationship between head and arse when it comes to offensive philosophy. We are incapable of stellar QB play this season, but we have the talent elsewhere to win a lot of games if our QB isn't marginalized. 

Man. I still can't get over it. 

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

(Current press conference) - Unless my ears deceived me, Gus did just that!!!  Wow...I'm pleasantly surprised.  Maybe there IS hope!!!

War Eagle!

I look forward to catching up on it. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't know what we have, since it was only one game. What I know we don't have yet is problems that can't be fixed if Gus reestablishes an appropriate relationship between head and arse when it comes to offensive philosophy. We are incapable of stellar QB play this season, but we have the talent elsewhere to win a lot of games if our QB isn't marginalized. 

Man. I still can't get over it. 

Arkansas State will offer an answer* the debate we have been buzzing on this forum. If we establish an offensive identity and go in a rhythm, then a supposedly non-conference pushover can be the right ingredient we need in order to find our identity on offensive side for this season. 

*If we win the game handily, that is.

Just now, AUDynasty said:

Arkansas State will offer an answer* the debate we have been buzzing on this forum. If we establish an offensive identity and go in a rhythm, then a supposedly non-conference pushover can be the right ingredient we need in order to find our identity on offensive side for this season. 

*If we win the game handily, that is.

Completely agree. Posted hopes for this exact scenario elsewhere. Gus has to decide right now what his football team is, a la halftime of the LSU game in 2013, and go forward with it. This Saturday is a great opportunity to do just that. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Completely agree. Posted hopes for this exact scenario elsewhere. Gus has to decide right now what his football team is, a la halftime of the LSU game in 2013, and go forward with it. This Saturday is a great opportunity to do just that. 

Plus, the last thing Gus wants to do is even look a little bad against Arkansas State.  This game means more to him than most on a personal level.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I swear the Clemson WR's pushed off on 99% of the catches. That's why I was pissed but don't let us effin touch them or its a PI!!

I saw the same thing with Clemson's receivers. Were the refs from the ACC? It seemed like this for most of the game.  Gus needs to get someone like Art Briles as an analyst much like Saban did with Sarkasian.  He needs the help no doubt. We all know Briles issues, but he still is an outstanding coach and could really help if Gus would realize this.  Does anyone know if this is possible? 

I do think a lot can be accomplished with Ark State.  I just saw that Gus has named SW the starter for the foreseeable future. This is a smart move if Gus can be patient with SW and let him control the team without Gus going overboard with tinkering with to offense.

For anyone interested, here's a link to his latest Access Auburn podcast from earlier today: 

http://www.wareaglesportsradio.com/episode/14592/all-access-auburn-tale-of-two-cities-for-auburn-superb-defense-confusing-offense/

I haven't listened to it yet, so keep in mind, it's probably recorded before Gus' latest presser... but either way, I'm sure it's very interesting.

War Eagle!

Good post coach. Thank you for your contribution here.

I stated a week or so ago I thought the oline was key to our success. Still believe it. They were simply mauled in the first half. Played much better in the 2nd half. Amazing how well they blocked with JF3 running the zone read. Love to see that guy keep a few or even get on the edge with a RPO. Puts tremendous pressure on the D. 

With regards to play calling, ugh. How about a simple screen to a rb on first down when the d is bringing 8? Ever consider a pass to a tight end over the middle? How about any pass to a tight end? What about a big rb following Cox on a 4th and one? An occasional smash mouth would be nice. Frustrating. Concerned would be an understatement.

Glad we have a D.

Done rambling.

WDE.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:23 PM, Tigermike said:

I'm not blaming the refs for the loss but I think I saw Carl Lawson being held several time and no flag was thrown.

I am glad that I was not the only one seeing this.  I know of at least 4 legitimate holds that did not get called. There were others on different players on our D that were held. I would say at least 6 times that I saw this, there were likely others that I missed.

This game taught us that we can compete with anybody. With improved play calling and no more rotating of a QB every other down, I like our chances in all of our games this season. We should have beat Clemson, but we didn't. We have to move forward. 

12 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Good post coach. Thank you for your contribution here.

I stated a week or so ago I thought the oline was key to our success. Still believe it. They were simply mauled in the first half. Played much better in the 2nd half. Amazing how well they blocked with JF3 running the zone read. Love to see that guy keep a few or even get on the edge with a RPO. Puts tremendous pressure on the D. 

With regards to play calling, ugh. How about a simple screen to a rb on first down when the d is bringing 8? Ever consider a pass to a tight end over the middle? How about any pass to a tight end? What about a big rb following Cox on a 4th and one? An occasional smash mouth would be nice. Frustrating. Concerned would be an understatement.

Glad we have a D.

Done rambling.

WDE.

TOTALLY agreed on the pass to the TE or simple screen.  Everything seems like a "go" route where the QB has to hold the ball for 5 seconds.  That's asking a lot of an O Line. 

On the "big RB following Cox", I presume Pettway was in the doghouse for some reason.  (Why else would he be talked up so much and then be absent from the field?)  Gus did promise more Pettway in the coming weeks, so I presume whatever it was wasn't too bad.

Archived