Things I Think I Saw.....

JMR

1 hour ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

TOTALLY agreed on the pass to the TE or simple screen.  Everything seems like a "go" route where the QB has to hold the ball for 5 seconds.  That's asking a lot of an O Line. 

On the "big RB following Cox", I presume Pettway was in the doghouse for some reason.  (Why else would he be talked up so much and then be absent from the field?)  Gus did promise more Pettway in the coming weeks, so I presume whatever it was wasn't too bad.

There didnt have to be any issues with Pettway for reasons he did not run the ball. IF you see CGM's pattern, there are always times he says one thing before the game, and then NEVER does that IN the game. Same as when he said he would not play all 3 QBs Saturday. He did ofc, and evn put them all in one one play. I think he and RL simply did not have him part of the game plan to begin with. And unless someone got hurt, that is only reason he got into the game.

There are many questions that have no answer.

1. Why did Truitt get most of the carries on the first series, and beyond in the first qtr, but your best ALL round back, K.Johnson only carried it 2 times in first half.

2. Why did he not use a poweback on shortage yardage situations? WHy use JJ who may be big he is NOT powerful when the pile needs to be moved.

3. Why did he never throw any screens to the RBs? WHy did we not see Kam Martin? Why do we never throw to a TE?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

1. Why did Truitt get most of the carries on the first series, and beyond in the first qtr, but your best ALL round back, K.Johnson only carried it 2 times in first half.

2. Why did he not use a poweback on shortage yardage situations? WHy use JJ who may be big he is NOT powerful when the pile needs to be moved.

3. Why did he never throw any screens to the RBs? WHy did we not see Kam Martin? Why do we never throw to a TE?

Dude. It's lunchtime on a Wednesday. Please don't make me start drinking right now. 

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Part of me wonders if Gus really did throw away this non-conference game to use it as a live try-out for a lot of his offensive players. That's really the only thing that makes sense to me... even if I don't agree with it.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Part of me wonders if Gus really did throw away this non-conference game to use it as a live try-out for a lot of his offensive players. That's really the only thing that makes sense to me... even if I don't agree with it.

For a coach to make over 4 million, i don't want to hear that a HC throws away or uses this type game as a live tryout. I surely don't think he ever intended for that reason.

BUT i do think he felt he could not move the ball offensively without using trickery (running Truitt, Cox, etc..) or using different offensive sets to confuse the CU Defense with 3 QBs and different types of play calls and formations. 

But after he thought of all these plans, how in the world he also didnt think that he could (and did) cause confusion, called TOs, delay of game, and for sure a lack of rhythm and tempo and continuity which HE in his philosophy in the past ALWAYS preached. 

Just someone tell me HOW he thought that would work over a more simply plan of attack using just the strengths he does know about his offense. ESPECIALLY in the first game...

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

There didnt have to be any issues with Pettway for reasons he did not run the ball. IF you see CGM's pattern, there are always times he says one thing before the game, and then NEVER does that IN the game. Same as when he said he would not play all 3 QBs Saturday. He did ofc, and evn put them all in one one play. I think he and RL simply did not have him part of the game plan to begin with. And unless someone got hurt, that is only reason he got into the game.

True - perhaps it was just goofy game planning and it would indeed be a continuation of CGM not delivering on what he said he'd do (such as the lack of pace, which we were led to believe were in the cards again and has proven effective in the past yet we haven't seen it for quite some time).  It bothers me that he continues to go against the grain so much (for lack of a better phrase) on such things that seem so logical to most folks. 

"Ok, it's 4th and 1, instead of handing the ball off to a bruising 245 pound back running behind another bruising 245 pound back clearing the way, let's get kooky and give it to the big QB with average speed who doesn't seem to like contact and see if it goes differently this time. THAT will catch them off guard, I'm SURE of it."   Instead, Cox and Pettway don't even get a chance to prove themselves. 

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If he did this we have the wrong coach IMO.I hope you are wrong.

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

For a coach to make over 4 million, i don't want to hear that a HC throws away or uses this type game as a live tryout. I surely don't think he ever intended for that reason.

BUT i do think he felt he could not move the ball offensively without using trickery (running Truitt, Cox, etc..) or using different offensive sets to confuse the CU Defense with 3 QBs and different types of play calls and formations. 

But after he thought of all these plans, how in the world he also didnt think that he could (and did) cause confusion, called TOs, delay of game, and for sure a lack of rhythm and tempo and continuity which HE in his philosophy in the past ALWAYS preached. 

Just someone tell me HOW he thought that would work over a more simply plan of attack using just the strengths he does know about his offense. ESPECIALLY in the first game...

DUDE!  You're gonna make me use all my *LIKES* on the same thread.  Stop it!!!

Just now, kd4au said:

If he did this we have the wrong coach IMO.I hope you are wrong.

While my thought is probably way too simple for the big picture, Gus did pretty much flat out say that he had no less than 7 guys out there from whom he didn't know what to expect, and he "learned a lot" about them in the game.  I think there was a lot of "let's see what works" in his game plan.

I will say this... if the fruits of that end up being a solid offense to go with our now solid defense, and we are playing in the SEC Championship because of it, then you will no longer think we have the wrong coach. Like I said, I don't agree with playing fast and lose with the chance of winning any game, but if you are going to risk a loss to build a better team, the first game against #2 is the one to lose.

How weird would it be if Gus did find the right formula and we ended up facing Clemson again in the end?

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

While my thought is probably way too simple for the big picture, Gus did pretty much flat out say that he had no less than 7 guys out there from whom he didn't know what to expect, and he "learned a lot" about them in the game.  I think there was a lot of "let's see what works" in his game plan.

I will say this... if the fruits of that end up being a solid offense to go with our now solid defense, and we are playing in the SEC Championship because of it, then you will no longer think we have the wrong coach. Like I said, I don't agree with playing fast and lose with the chance of winning any game, but if you are going to risk a loss to build a better team, the first game against #2 is the one to lose.

How weird would it be if Gus did find the right formula and we ended up facing Clemson again in the end?

I SO hope you're right!  That would be suh-WEET!

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There is a lot of hope in your post,it's good to have hope.But it worries me that Gus has had since last season to get the O figured out and that's the best he could come up with.

4 minutes ago, kd4au said:

There is a lot of hope in your post,it's good to have hope.But it worries me that Gus has had since last season to get the O figured out and that's the best he could come up with.

My hope is that this week, we'll actually see the best he can come up with.  If not, it's going to be a long season and the coaching carousel will continue.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My hope is that this week, we'll actually see the best he can come up with.  If not, it's going to be a long season and the coaching carousel will continue.

PERZACTLY!

5 hours ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

True - perhaps it was just goofy game planning and it would indeed be a continuation of CGM not delivering on what he said he'd do (such as the lack of pace, which we were led to believe were in the cards again and has proven effective in the past yet we haven't seen it for quite some time).  It bothers me that he continues to go against the grain so much (for lack of a better phrase) on such things that seem so logical to most folks. 

"Ok, it's 4th and 1, instead of handing the ball off to a bruising 245 pound back running behind another bruising 245 pound back clearing the way, let's get kooky and give it to the big QB with average speed who doesn't seem to like contact and see if it goes differently this time. THAT will catch them off guard, I'm SURE of it."   Instead, Cox and Pettway don't even get a chance to prove themselves. 

You can't go Tempo or at least shouldn't if you don't have an explosive or consecutive offensive plays. Trying to go tempo against a defense that has the momentum and has stopped your last few plays is a surefire way to get your defense back on the field and sucking air. The issue is that we haven't had enough explosive and decent plays to really run tempo. Gus needs his offense to be working first before he can lay it on. Tempo can help multiply the effectiveness of your offense by itself, but if your offensive effectiveness is a 1 and you multiply that by itself, then it's still 1. Even worse you've wasted downs where you could have actually taken your time and had your QB read and scan the field pre-snap to get an ACTUAL read going. 

Flex, I just want to say I really appreciate your perspective on our football team and football in general. Your posts are thoughtfull and well written without agenda or spite. In my opinion you are the top football poster on this site.

19 minutes ago, creed said:

Flex, I just want to say I really appreciate your perspective on our football team and football in general. Your posts are thoughtfull and well written without agenda or spite. In my opinion you are the top football poster on this site.

suck up.........j/k flex it's all appreciated

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:27 PM, JMR said:

For the most part, the effort was there against a very talented Clemson team. My feeling is that the players deserved better than they got from “management.”  Let’s hope everyone is on the same page by next week.

I find it hard to put full blame on our men on the O field for whatever the heck the "management" was doing. Our O line is not as strong as I would like but flipping QBs like that? There is a thing called too complicated. Is our QB situation SO BAD that we are down to this? Is the playbook SO COMPLICATED that we need  3, 4, 5? people to take snaps? With each only knowing a little piece of the playbook? Nobody gets the opportunity to get "hot" not even "warmed up".  After watching that game..... All I could think about was Saban laughing his butt off when he reviews the film.

Flex, I just want to say I really appreciate your perspective on our football team and football in general. Your posts are thoughtful and well written without agenda or spite. In my opinion you are the top football poster on this site.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

suck up.........j/k flex it's all appreciated

Dude that is Flex's other account commenting on his original account. Durp! Come-on Flex, You don't have to go there man. :ucrazy:You don't have to go there....

Could be that Gus did not really believe his defense was going to be as good as they were when he prepared for the game.    So he felt necessary to go with some kind of all out blitz with his offense and trick place against a team of Clemson's ability to keep from getting totally blowed away. By half time he understood his offense had not worked and the defense was much better than he believed and backed off. That resulted with AU actually winning the second half scoring but not overcoming the first half deficit. WDE

"All things considered, I thought Auburn did a pretty decent job of coverage, other than vs Williams. Limiting Tight End Jordan Leggett was a solid accomplishment IMO"

I disagree with you statement about the coverage of Williams.  Davis or Holsey covered that guy like a poncho all night ... otherwise those back-shoulder receptions would have been in-stride receptions for touchdowns.  The very reason they were back-shoulder passes was because the receiver was covered too well for a normal completion!  I'd say I have to agree with everything else you said though.  Very nice post!

16 minutes ago, dave69 said:

Davis or Holsey covered that guy like a poncho all night ... otherwise those back-shoulder receptions would have been in-stride receptions for touchdowns.  The very reason they were back-shoulder passes was because the receiver was covered too well for a normal completion!  

Fantastic point.

14 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Could be that Gus did not really believe his defense was going to be as good as they were when he prepared for the game.    So he felt necessary to go with some kind of all out blitz with his offense and trick place against a team of Clemson's ability to keep from getting totally blowed away. By half time he understood his offense had not worked and the defense was much better than he believed and backed off. That resulted with AU actually winning the second half scoring but not overcoming the first half deficit. WDE

I have stupidly wondered the same thing. If some of Malzahn's head scratching play calling was influenced by the perception his offense had to win ballgames alone. And now that the defense appears more than capable of holding it's own we will see more conventional play development during drives than what has taken place over the past few seasons.

If Gus had acknowledged how well his defense was playing at any point during the game, he would've kicked field goals instead of going for it a couple times in the 2nd half. 

Random note: Only touchdown came out of the Wildcat. Kerryon will get more direct snaps and I'm totally cool with it. 

@WarRoomEagle (not sure how to tag twitter accounts anymore) is tweeting out some Devaroe Lawrence plays from the other night. Suffice it to say, he is going to blow up some plays this season by placing OLs much further in the backfield than they are supposed to be. 

Archived