4_3721471.jpg

Montverde, FL (Wheeler)

Ht 6-10

Wt 200

Notable offers: AU, NC State, UCLA, FSU, Baylor, Miami

Brother of AU women's basketball player Brandy Montgomery

Edited by ellitor

• 3 weeks later...

E. J. Montgomery, that's crazy awesome. Great job Coach Pearl ! War Eagle E. J. and welcome to the family.

Edited by Crouching Tiger

Did pearl do this well recruiting at Tennessee? I know he had great players,  but with this consistency on 5 star talent? 

E, first, thanks for posting the videos. Someone might want to change the OP. Montgomery actually moved to Atlanta and is at Wheeler HS in the ATL. Wheeler is correct in the OP, but just in case some don't realize it, Wheeler is in Atlanta, not FL. So, the folks that live in the ATL can watch him play.

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

E, first, thanks for posting the videos. Someone might want to change the OP. Montgomery actually moved to Atlanta and is at Wheeler HS in the ATL. Wheeler is correct in the OP, but just in case some don't realize it, Wheeler is in Atlanta, not FL. So, the folks that live in the ATL can watch him play.

So to be clear he is no longer at Montverde??

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

So to be clear he is no longer at Montverde??

Yea, He is in the Atlanta area at Wheeler HS. They have a strong Basketball program. This is from 247 Sports. BTW, 247 has him as the #14 overall prospect for the 2018 class. Pretty impressive.

COMMIT: Auburn lands 5-star 2018 forward

The timing just felt right. That's what led E.J. Montgomery to commit to Auburn on Thursday.

"They’ve been recruiting me since the eighth grade and they’ve never stopped," Montgomery told AuburnUndercover in his first interview after his commitment was announced, which he did via Twitter. "They’ve always been recruiting me hard, so I just felt like that was the right place for me."

Montgomery, a five-star power forward, became Auburn's first commitment for the 2018 cycle. Two factors weighed heavily into his decision: family and the Tigers' coaching staff. Those, Montgomery said, were 1 and 1A in order of importance.

"My sister being there, she was always telling me it was a great school," said Montgomery, referring to his older sister, Brandy Montgomery, who plays for Auburn's women's basketball team. "I've been there a lot and I have a great relationship with the coaches."

No Auburn coach served as Montgomery's primary recruiter, as he said every member of the Tigers' staff — head coach Bruce Pearl, associate head coach Chuck Person and assistants Harris Adler and Chad Dollar — "all talked to me evenly." In the course of their many conversations over the years, the Tigers have already laid out a vision of how they plan to use Montgomery.

"They want me to come in, be a playmaker and try to help them win," he said. "That will help me get better as well."

At the moment, Montgomery said he's working on his footwork and making his shot more consistent, especially behind the 3-point arc.

"I feel comfortable at the 3-point line," he said, "but the mid-range is where I'm best at."

Subscribe to the FREE Auburn Undercover newsletter for the best, most-up-to-date Tigers coverage on the planet — it only takes five seconds to sign up!

Montgomery becomes the Tigers' third five-star commitment in as many years, following Mustapha Heron in 2016 and Austin Wiley in 2017. Montgomery admitted that he could be a pied piper of sorts for Auburn's 2018 class, helping it land other high-profile targets. But following in Heron and Wiley's footsteps wasn't a big selling point in the Tigers' recruitment.

"They mentioned it," Montgomery said, "but they haven't really heaped that on me."

Montgomery, a Florida native who recently transferred to Georgia powerhouse Wheeler High School in Marietta, is the No. 14 overall prospect in 2018 according to the 247Sports Composite.

He plans to make an unofficial visit campus Saturday and take part in an open gym session Saturday at Auburn Arena.

He'll just do so as a commit instead of a prospect.

20 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Pearl is clearly struggling recruiting with UA as a shoe, he feels Barbee's pain, lol

Don't see the point in this post. Most coaches would struggle right now recruiting wise with UA as apparel. We are lucky and blessed to have 1 of only about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation that would not have some negative recruiting affects of UA. Yes UA is getting better but they have a long way to go still as an AAU & college basketball brand.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Don't see the point in this post. Most coaches would struggle right now recruiting wise with UA as apparel. We are lucky and blessed to have 1 of only about 3 or 4 coaches in the nation that would not have some negative recruiting affects of UA. Yes UA is getting better but they have a long way to go still as an AAU & college basketball brand.

Of course you wouldn't get it, you struggle in that area, lol  

On 9/22/2016 at 11:21 PM, auburnphan said:

Pearl is clearly struggling recruiting with UA as a shoe, he feels Barbee's pain, lol

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Of course you wouldn't get it, you struggle in that area, lol  

i·ro·ny

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to ellitor.

44 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Bruce is lining everything up nicely , just gotta go and win some games now. My respect for Bruce continues to grow. 

bruce should get all of his recruiting done, his roster set for a couple of years, and then go help maldufus coach football

23 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

@JFDTiger80 thanks for the update. I used to live in Buford and Wheeler was good back then as well. Wonder why he left Montverde which has had fantastic teams

Hard to say why he moved. Maybe he needed a change in scenery for focus. Just a guess.

On September 24, 2016 at 10:15 AM, tombigbeetiger said:

bruce should get all of his recruiting done, his roster set for a couple of years, and then go help maldufus coach football

:-\

On 9/24/2016 at 10:15 AM, tombigbeetiger said:

Your shtick regarding Malzahn has become tiresome.

• Like 1