Moving Forward

StatTiger

Couldn't agree more about building around White, and bringing in JFIII situationaly. As for passing to open up the run, this was a concern last season as well. I remember you posting about throwing more on first down then. I don't remember if Gus actually started to or not. I don't recall that he did, although I'm sure you will know. If not, do you expect him to make that change this season? As stubborn as he is, it wouldn't surprise me to see him stick to his run first mentality. 

I am 100% behind the players.  The D staff did its job.  I feel sorry for the players in that we have an offensive guru for a HC who can't coach offense unless Cam Newton or Nick Marshal and Tre Mason are in the line up.

wde

Edited by AUIH1
  • Like 1

@StatTiger I do take issue with your post.

You were far too rational and made way, way, WAY too much sense.  Next time throw in some ARGH's & maybe curse a little... 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

@StatTiger I do take issue with your post.

You were far too rational and made way, way, WAY too much sense.  Next time throw in some ARGH's & maybe curse a little... 

Stat always brings it to the table.

wde

• Like 2

@StatTiger After watching what Texas did with their QBs, I really hope GM took notice.  They made it work.  I realize each player is different,  but Texas was aggressive from the beginning to end.  Their offense was built around the passing QB and brought in the running QB to serve a purpose,  just as you were saying.  That game completely opened my eyes to how 1 QB could compliment the other and be successful.  I was ready for 1 QB and that's it.  I would definitely like to see JF3 being able to make plays with the ball in his hands some kind of way.  I think JJ should be considered the backup if SW injured and let TQ take in the mop up duty.  I hope GM uses ARK st game to first set an identity,  then work more on the passing game to get ready for a strong start to conference. We always work on the run game in those games,  which is important to be able to do as well,  but the pass game seems to have more importance this year. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

Maybe after Gus watched the film he came away with the same impressions.  However, in the post game presser he said the 3 QB rotation would continue.  

Still even if we do settle on a true QB1 we need to be more balanced on first down.  I think we were around 75 percent last year and I feel pretty certain about 15 percent of the remaining 25 was a bubble type screen play.  We will continue to be a run first team but you can be run first at a 65/35 clip as well.  I think Stat posted last night that our first down plays for Clemson was 87.5 run

We could have killed that defense on quick hitting slants and curls because they were run blitzing almost exclusively on first down plays.  Ends working outside the tackles.  Bull rush from the middle and run blitzing in the guard gaps.  X got exposed with no help being provided from either of the 2 guards.  I would also have loved to see us go to a heavy set on the line remove the slot and bring in a TE or an extra OT when facing run blitz packages so much.  It unbalances the line and either the DL has to shift to be in gap control or slant at the snap and both has the opportunity to open huge holes at the LOS with only defensive backs behind them.

• Like 4

I know that pass to the goal line that was ruled incomplete was the best play against the trend all game.  It worked beautifully except the ball being a little too long. Everyone thought it would be a run.  

I agree totally Stat. I thought the same last year with White. A little ball control passing attack, setting up the run, and White can be very effective. I just don't have much faith in Malzahn making the necessary changes to his philosophy.That confused mess that we witnessed Sat. night pretty much confirmed my concerns that Gus is in way over his head. For example, we get to watch Auburn for 3.5 hrs 12 times a year, and any one of us can tell that Jeremy Johnson, bless his heart, is not a short yardage runner. Gus sees him every day in practice, and seems not to be able to figure this out. I held out hope that Gus would spend the last 9 months evaluating his offense, make the necessary changes, settle on a QB, and tailor a plan to utilize what he had. That is obviously not the case, if anything we have gone backwards, and look like we are drawing our offense up in the dirt on the playground. We faced a team Sat. night that blitzed us repeatedly, and we never ran any crossing routes in the vacated area, nor attacked the middle of the field at all that I can remember. Still  holding out hope, because I like Gus, and he is recruiting some really fine athletes, but if he doesn't get this fixed and quickly he will be coaching back in FCS very soon. Buyout, or not.

• Like 2

SW or JJ either one would be ok with me. they both did good things, both made mistakes. I really felt sorry for JJ when Leff got him sacked two plays in a row then he got pulled the next series. i do favor SW because i think he is a little more confident but that is not based on this game. this game is not a measuring stick at all.

• Like 2

It's frustrating watching the same offense, running the same plays year in and year out.  If he is such a great offensive coach, why can't he develop an offense around his personnel.   It's the 4 million dollar question.

I agree the offense needs to be built around SW he is the only QB that has shown any ability to throw the football,but it does not seem Gus knows how to coach anything other than a zone read offense.Which is ok but you have to be able to throw some in the SEC or the defenses will shut you down.Also if JF3 is going to play let him run the d*&n ball if he is going to hand the ball off every time you might as well keep SW in the game so you have the threat of a pass.I want Gus to succeed but he has to quit coaching like a high school coach.This ain't high school were the seniors get to play just because they are seniors, play your best players and get the offense going and quit trying to be so cute with the trick plays most of them turn into wasted plays.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

@StatTiger After watching what Texas did with their QBs, I really hope GM took notice.  They made it work.  I realize each player is different,  but Texas was aggressive from the beginning to end.  Their offense was built around the passing QB and brought in the running QB to serve a purpose,  just as you were saying.  That game completely opened my eyes to how 1 QB could compliment the other and be successful.  I was ready for 1 QB and that's it.  I would definitely like to see JF3 being able to make plays with the ball in his hands some kind of way.  I think JJ should be considered the backup if SW injured and let TQ take in the mop up duty.  I hope GM uses ARK st game to first set an identity,  then work more on the passing game to get ready for a strong start to conference. We always work on the run game in those games,  which is important to be able to do as well,  but the pass game seems to have more importance this year. 

He is stuck on thinking jj can be a Tyrone Swoopes kind of player and will continue to run those qb power plays.

What Stat said...

I would add that if we go with ONE main QB, we MUST also incorporate a base offense for him to run and execute it next week... and Whichever QB (SW) we choose as a starter must have a BALANCED attack... Sean MUST be allowed to run some when it's open,

and for a JFIII package, he must be allowed to throw some well designed / high percentage passes to keep em honest. 

We can go basic a bit live next week to learn to make it work... but NOT just go VANILLA to hide what we're going to do for future games like he has done in the past. I do not think we cannot afford to play that way this year as it will truly be a work in progress from game to game.

I think SW needs to be able to throw on first down, and ALSO work in and have some quick pass / slant (or even run) check downs he can audible to (or gus call) based on what the defense does.. He could REALLY use Hastings for some quick hitting positive yardage throws / slants and burn a blitz... or have someone speedy like Davis or Truitt go deep getting behind the DBs on a check down / audible based on the Defense biting on the run / creeping up in the box. 

It would be nice if Gus would trust his QB to make some calls and improvise and allow SW to get on page with a few of his receivers to get a rhythm and KNOW they can hook up and burn the Defense. I think we could hastings and KJ some folks to death... and then burn em deep.

I think we could effectively use JFIII if he's allowed to pass once or twice and burns some folks. AND If JFIII is allowed to pass and establishes that as a potential threat,

Then we still could use KJ as a wildcat WITHIN the JFIII package on the field as a change up and not substitute keeping JFIII's speed on the field and moving him to the slot... his threat to also run or pass would really open up KJ's lanes even more. That package could stay on the field and play extremely fast and also using the wildcat effectively for short yardage and red zone.  

Those are two COMPLETE QB packages we could actually run with the talent we have starting next week.

Edited by JGLEATON
  • Like 2

Long time reader, I haven't posted in several years but just curious as to why you think we didn't see more of Pettway.  Everything you said is spot on but with all the bragging on KP, I thought for sure he would see the field in a bust through the line type way.  Would he have been able to do it, I don't know but the man is 240lbs, I thought for sure on at least 1 short yard situation he would have been given the ball.  Any thoughts on if or when he might see some action?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bojisthama said:

Long time reader, I haven't posted in several years but just curious as to why you think we didn't see more of Pettway.  Everything you said is spot on but with all the bragging on KP, I thought for sure he would see the field in a bust through the line type way.  Would he have been able to do it, I don't know but the man is 240lbs, I thought for sure on at least 1 short yard situation he would have been given the ball.  Any thoughts on if or when he might see some action?

I have been wondering that myself... where's KP

I personally think SW's package needs a two back set with KJ and KP being the other to help offset SW's slightly lessor running threat... help with blocking on passes... and either one can also catch a pass outta the backfield for basically a long hand off. 

Edited by JGLEATON
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, alexava said:

SW or JJ either one would be ok with me. they both did good things, both made mistakes. I really felt sorry for JJ when Leff got him sacked two plays in a row then he got pulled the next series. i do favor SW because i think he is a little more confident but that is not based on this game. this game is not a measuring stick at all.

Great post. I'm thinking sw because I'm thinking he will be more consistent and that's based of last year. This game against Clemson there wasn't a huge difference in play from the qb's

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Great post. I'm thinking sw because I'm thinking he will be more consistent and that's based of last year. This game against Clemson there wasn't a huge difference in play from the qb's

Agreed. Wasn't much difference at all from the three but Gus is to be blamed for that. Neither could build on any momentum at all. 

• Like 1

Moving Forward is a good title for this thread.  Everyone recognizes the inherent problems of trying to win with 3 QBs & 2 other wildcat formations, but another glaring issue with the offense involves the blocking up front & on the edge.  The OL was supposed to be a strength of the team yet there were clear indications of as much confusion up front as was evident in the backfield.  Both tackles had issues with pass protection and the center was getting pushed back too easily.  One time, I saw Kozan fall backwards on a pass play without anyone in front of him.  Wha ...?  The WR blocking effort can at least be explained due to inexperience but what happened to our OL veterans?   Here's hoping the blocking on offense gets on track for this week to set the tone for the rest of the season.  WDE

• Like 3

Thanks Stat, as always. I really enjoy your post game analyses.

Mans thank you AU family. This thread has had more logic, reasoning, and level-headed posts than all of the other post game threads combined. 

Perhaps I should just start waiting until Monday afternoon to get on the AU Family board to give everyone a little time to come down off the ledge.

Or better yet, let's just win them all from here on and not worry about how we might act after a loss!

• Like 3

Speaking of moving forward, I wish Gus would get past using the same excuse every year "we had a lot of young guys out there," when asked about the poor offensive performance.  Maybe it has not so much to do with the "experience" of the players, but instead poor play calling.  I mean, this is Gus' fourth year at Auburn.  Third year of his recruits.  Every program has new guys to come in to help out, but not every program has the issues we are having on offense.  I appreciate you Gus, but come one, you have had multiple years to recruit and it seems like the offense is regressing every year.

• Like 2

I pray that someone has the guts to tell Gus that he needs to let one his quarterbacks grow up and take responsibility for the game. Even if it is Kristi, someone needs to tell him. The only message he is sending to his qbs is that he doesn't trust any of them. Let go, Gus, and let the kids grow up and learn from their mistakes. I would rather lose in a game where the qb has tried his very best and has the opportunity to learn from his mistakes, than win in a game by qb committee. And I am sorry, but all of this needed to be figured out in fall camp, not the first game on a national stage. I like Gus, but he is too stubborn for his own good. And I am also starting to think Chizik was the better choice. :dunno:

Edited by 3rdgeneration
  • Like 2