Moving Forward

StatTiger

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Truth is, it's not going to be fun to be an AU QB this year.  Any one of them could come out and light it up, but every little mistake they make is going to be beat into the ground by the group of fans who vehemently believes that the other QBs are better.  Hopefully, when they are given time to settle in and get rhythm, they will prove to be better than they were on Saturday.

You're so right Carl.

I stay out of the individual player message board battles such as SW vs JJ.  In my tiny little corner of the world, I'm simply pulling for "the guy in the Auburn jersey" to play well, regardless of who it is.

Now, I get it that the back and forth are about their merits, etc. but honestly, you are correct in your statement above.  Nobody REALLY knows until they can get a real sample.

So, I'm gonna take Gus at his word and pull for SW and hopefully we get to see JF3 actually open it up a bit.  I'm excited about the possibilities now.  I couldn't really say that a few hours ago..

1 hour ago, gman87 said:

For everyone preferring SW as starter, I asked about stats vs Power 5 opponents and someone provided the following from last season and Clemson:

Sean White

83 - 147 * 56% * 1139 * 1 TD * 5 Ints. * 14 Sacks

Jeremy Johnson 

64 - 111 * 57% *  644 * 5 TD * 6 Ints. * 11 Sacks

Is the yardage what makes the separation to everyone because I look at the TDs and at least JJ has thrown a few,

IMO there is not a QB on this roster, other than maybe the freshman, than will successfully run the type of offense Gus wants to run. All of the QBs have their flaws. SW is not a great QB at the moment but he seems to be be tough, plays hard, and the moment does not seem to be too big for him. he reminds me of an early version of Ben Leard. Honestly i would like to see what any of these QBs can do in a different offense, one not predicated on the read option and then "throw it deep" mentality. I think all of them would have better stats. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StatTiger said:

You cannot block 8 with 5-6 on first down. Clemson would bring extra defenders into the box just before the snap and crash to defend the run. The only way to stop that is to pass more on first down. Gus did not adjust, running it nearly 88 percent of the time until the final possession of the game. Running the ball nearly 80% of the time on first down from 2013-2016 has made it easy to defend the Auburn offense. If you crash to play the run on every 1st down snap, the opposition is correct 8 of 10 times.

From 2013-2016, nearly 40% of Auburn's sacks allowed are occurring on 3rd down because the offense is so predictable when it comes to run vs. pass.

During 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016....

Auburn runs the ball 79% on 1st down and passes 72% of the time on 3rd down with 4-yds or more needed to convert. Based on those trends, I crash to play the run on 1st down every time and rush the passer on 3rd down and would be right 70% of the time regardless of formations or schemes.

this is incredible info that you know our staff has and obviously the other team has. so you have to ask. what exactly are the coaches doing?

I agree. I fully expected to lose to Clemson before the game started BUT after seeing the defense....if our offense had any shred of a pulse, we would have won the game.  

I am still frustrated we did not start off with a win,  but I prefer our situation compared to all the other SEC teams that lost this weekend. We should have won against a team that few had us making it a competitive game.  Ole miss had offense but a huge collapse. Kentucky did the same. LSU was supposed to win that game convincingly and finally show everyone they had put it all together.  30,000 LSU fans made the trip and LSU actually looked worse than we did.  Miss state lost to a Sunbelt team as a 4 TD favorite.  Missouri was never in the game against WV. While some of the others struggled mightily against inferior competition on paper, they still started 1-0. I feel a lot better knowing that Gus at least sounded like he realizes we need 1 QB to game plan with,  instead of wondering if he would try that fiasco until we missed the opportunity to beat some vulnerable opponents coming up.  

• Like 1

On 9/6/2016 at 5:20 PM, gr82b4au said:
On 9/6/2016 at 3:53 PM, gman87 said:

For everyone preferring SW as starter, I asked about stats vs Power 5 opponents and someone provided the following from last season and Clemson:

Sean White

83 - 147 * 56% * 1139 * 1 TD * 5 Ints. * 14 Sacks

Jeremy Johnson 

64 - 111 * 57% *  644 * 5 TD * 6 Ints. * 11 Sacks

Is the yardage what makes the separation to everyone because I look at the TDs and at least JJ has thrown a few,

And how many of those times was SW replaced with JJ once they got near the redzone? Gus has a huge habit of replacing his QB last year and so far this year to "suit their strengths". Naturally JJ would tend to have that.

It

JJ hasn't been put in to pass in the redzone much if at all as I recall. And if he had it was a sack more often than not. SW has 2 goalline INTs that I know of off the top of my head.

You do a great job of sifting through stats and overall play of the team. I know a lot of complaining has gone on about the offense since Saturday night post game. I do not think that Gus has forgotten how to coach an offense and give his players a chance to win the game. The 2nd half was a huge improvement over the 1st half of the game. If we would have had 224 yards or thereabouts in the 1st half to match the 2nd half, there would be very little moaning and groaning over the state of the team.  I do try to look on the positive side of things being that I am lucky to be alive. When you stare down death, you have a 6th sense of viewing life and try to see through all of the fog in order to get home safe.

These next 3 games will be show if Auburn can turn things around or if they might be facing back to back 7-6 record.

Edited by auburn4ever