When was the last time....

Mustprotect

I was sitting here thinking since we fired Tubbs for not recruiting at a high level nationally. When was the last time Auburn recruited a player highly ranked player out of high school and he actually ended up being a star at Auburn? 

1 minute ago, Mustprotect said:

I was sitting here thinking since we fired Tubbs for not recruiting at a high level nationally. When was the last time Auburn recruited a player highly ranked player out of high school and he actually ended up being a star at Auburn? 

Carl Lawson was the last major win that we can be certian of, but probably Marlon Davidson

Depends on how good they gotta be to be a "star" but here's a couple for each class.

2010 Trovon Reed and Lemonier were 5 and 4 stars.

2011 Dismukes, Robinson, and Therezie and Gabe were 4 stars.

2012 Ricardo was 4 star

2013 Carl Lawson, Montravious Adams, Peyton Barber, Nick Marshall(JC), CAP(JC) they were all 5 and 4 stars

2014+, they still got time to shine.

Tuberville got fired because he was tired of fighting with Jay Jacobs and the PTB and he had no energy to fight what Saban was bringing to spuat. Tuberville resigned for political correctness but he was fired.

wde

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Depends on how good they gotta be to be a "star" but here's a couple for each class.

2010 Trovon Reed and Lemonier were 5 and 4 stars.

2011 Dismukes, Robinson, and Therezie and Gabe were 4 stars.

2012 Ricardo was 4 star

2013 Carl Lawson, Montravious Adams, Peyton Barber, Nick Marshall(JC), CAP(JC) they were all 5 and 4 stars

2014+, they still got time to shine.

Reed definitely never reached the hype he came in with. Lemonier was pretty good.

Dismukes and Robinson were good. Therezie was solid. Gabe never really stayed steady but he had all the potential.

Carl needs to play a complete season it's still in the air with him but he's beastly when healthy. Adams has been solid since day 1. If i remember correctly Barber didn't have a lot of SEC offers maybe because of injury but he was good at Auburn. Nick and CAP were juco players.

I guess what I'm asking is when did our highest rated player in the class turn out to be a star? I know we have plenty that weren't ranked let's just say top 100 that turned out to be stars.

This is silly. We have highly ranked 4&5 star players in just about every class that does well on the field. In fairness, we have had our share of 4&5 star players that are disasters on the field. I think you can say this about every top 5 team in the SEC including us, bammer, LSU, UGA and so forth.

I think Tubs was fired for two reasons. First and formost he could not let jet-gate go. Every year after that he purposely flirted with every opening to rub the admin and BOT wrong. Second he hired a spread guru as OC then did not support him but allowed his BBQ gang to over-ride the OC producing a great disaster on the field. Chizik was fired for putting the players in a very bad way emotionally with over-bearable attitude. WDE

5 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Cam Newton anybody? 5 star coming out of JUCO. Lived up to his hype. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there has been a 5 star QB in JUCO since him.

I thought the same thing, but the original post said specifically "recruited out of HS", and we got Cam out of JC.

Gotta be Greg Robinson. Highly sought after in HS who goes on to be the #2 player in the draft. 

We've definitely had better luck with the Dee Ford/ Tre Mason types. 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Gotta be Greg Robinson. Highly sought after in HS who goes on to be the #2 player in the draft. 

We've definitely had better luck with the Dee Ford/ Tre Mason types. 

Both Ford and Mason were 4 stars. Is the OP talking about only 5 stars? Greg Robinson was also a 4 star.

Lawson, Russell, Tre Williams, Holland, Dyer (he was absolutely a star in 2010 and critical to the national championship run), Dismukes, Robinson, Carlton Davis, Montravious Adams, Tre Mason... Marlon Davidson is a starter as a true freshman on an *extremely* deep and talented DL... the list goes on. And that doesn't include anybody Tubs signed (Tate, Ziemba, Pugh, Bynes... not sure if McCalebb committed to Tubs or Chizik, guessing Tubs). Unfortunately, we've mostly bricked at 3 very high profile positions- QB, WR and LB. That last one seems to be turning around, and quickly. The others remain to be seen in a big way. 

14 hours ago, Mustprotect said:

Decide for yourself... Top AU commits in Ratings era

10 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think Tubs was fired for two reasons. First and formost he could not let jet-gate go. Every year after that he purposely flirted with every opening to rub the admin and BOT wrong. Second he hired a spread guru as OC then did not support him but allowed his BBQ gang to over-ride the OC producing a great disaster on the field. Chizik was fired for putting the players in a very bad way emotionally with over-bearable attitude. WDE

Yep. And the constant fighting with Jay. Jay hired Tim Jackson to head up football operations and put Tim's office next door to Boots. Was over that day. 

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Decide for yourself... Top AU commits in Ratings era

13 of the top 20 either we hit on or still have a chance to hit on (Cowart, Brown, Davidson, Gatewood, etc.). 14 if you count Dyer (breaking Bo's freshman record in a championship season counts for me). That's not bad.

Thanks for the link, E.

I mean, every team is gonna have the blue chip busts and the diamonds in the rough types who blossom, I would think that's fairly standard everywhere. College football history is littered with both. Your taking a chance on every kid you sign. 

10 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I mean, every team is gonna have the blue chip busts and the diamonds in the rough types who blossom, I would think that's fairly standard everywhere. College football history is littered with both. Your taking a chance on every kid you sign. 

Out of likes so *Like*

7 hours ago, GoAU said:

I thought the same thing, but the original post said specifically "recruited out of HS", and we got Cam out of JC.

My bad...you might could say Dyer but we know how that turned out 

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

My bad...you might could say Dyer but we know how that turned out 

Dude was instrumental in us winning it all. Broke Bo's freshman record. Did his best to carry the team in 2011 until the entire program went up in flames. We didn't miss on him in my opinion. 

Archived