Upon Further Review - Arkansas State

StatTiger

• Kerryon Johnson has already surpasses his rushing totals from 2015 through 2 games into 2016. Last season, Johnson rushed for 208-yards on 51 attempts for 3 rushing TD's. Through two games into 2016, Johnson has 218-yards on 41 carries for 3 rushing touchdowns. As a true sophomore, KJ is still finding his grove and rhythm as Auburn's starting running back.

• Though it is too early to call it a trend, something to watch for the remainder of the season is Auburn's third-down offense. Through two games, Auburn has converted 60 percent of their third-down situations during the first-half and only 29.4 percent during the second-half.

• Last week against Clemson, 29 percent of Auburn's offensive snaps resulted in 5-yards or better. This week, it improved to 49 percent on offense. Auburn's defense held Clemson to 4-yards or less on 63 percent of the snaps defended and Arkansas State to nearly 70 percent.

• Through two games, nearly 64 percent of Auburn's tackles for loss have occurred during the first-half.

• 53 percent of Auburn's total yardage gained against the Red Wolves came on first down, with Auburn taking 40 offensive snaps on first down. Last week Auburn produced only 1 play of 15-yards or more on first down, registering eight such plays against Arkansas State.

• Last season Sean White was No. 5 among the 22 SEC quarterbacks that attempted at least 70 passes in generating impact plays in the passing game. White produced a 15-yard pass play or more every 4.9 attempts. The conference average was 1 every 5.9 pass attempts. Through two games into 2016, Sean White is No. 1 in the SEC hitting an impact play every 3.7 attempts.

• For the first time during his young career, Sean White attempted more passes on 1st down than 3rd down during a game. White was 7 of 10 on 1st down for 94-yards and 6 of 6 on 3rd down for 102-yards.

• Sean White is currently No. 4 in the SEC with a passer rating of 164.3 on 3rd down.

• Darius Slayton was the most targeted player in the passing game this week with five passes thrown his way against ASU.
  • How important is first down production? Malzahn's offense at Auburn is now 35-5 in games his offense produces at least 45 percent of their total yardage on 1st down. During those 35 games, Auburn has averaged 37 PPG.

• Auburn is now 51-7, when Malzahn's offense scores on at least 33 percent of their possessions during a game.

• From 1992-2016, Auburn has won nearly 90 percent of their games when the Tigers have more rushing yards and rushing attempts than their opponent. Auburn is 145-16-1.

• Auburn has now lost the turnover battle during five of their last six games.

• Gus Malzahn's offense at Auburn has now produced 63 individual 100-yard rushing performances. That is 63 during 82 games compared to the 57 during the Tommy Tuberville era of 125 games.

• From 1992-2016 Auburn has faced 69 opponents from a non-Power 5 conference. Auburn's performance last night was the 7th best performance during the 69 games based on a rating formula. The rating formula is based on yards per game, yards per play, 1st down production, 3rd down production, impact play ratio, points scored and strength of schedule.

• Auburn's 462-yards rushing was the 4th most during Auburn's last 648 games.

• During Auburn's last 55 years of football, Gus Malzahn's offense is now responsible for nearly 1/3 of Auburn's 300-yard rushing games.

War Eagle!

• Like 2

Good stuff, Stat, thank you.  

Great work as always.

i was very please with the play calling and the second half intensity from the team.

No let down. 

We got better last week. 

Lets do it again this week. 

Auburn hasn't played good defense since tubs and we haven't played great defense since Dye Era. I could be wrong and I am not the stat tiger. My theory is with a fast-paced offense or no huddle... I think it is impossible to have a top 10 defense nationally and I don't think it's ever been done. One factor could be the way the defense practices against fast pace in practice and more running against a fast-paced offense in practice will make you prone to being less physical as your muscles hypertrophy slightly and I know this sounds of mumbo jumbo but... that's my armchair analysis. I don't think it is possible for us to finish in the top 25 in Total Defense this year. But we can offset that with great offense as Gus has shown in the past with good quarterback play and good execution which we haven't had in the last 2 years. But we are playing pretty damn physical on defense so I may be wrong partially... I want to research this theory of mind not being able to have a defense with a fast-paced offense... maybe the Buffalo Bills back in the nineties with their Super Bowl runs had good defense.. the bills were about one of the first teams who ran fast paced all year long

Edited by D.sheridanjr
Misspells

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

It seemed to me that the Offense came out really aggressive during the game and surprised a bunch of folks with how much SW was allowed to pass compared to previous QBs. I could be mistaken though. Just seemed that way. Hopefully the handcuffs are off and SW will be allowed to throw more and use his legs. Granted they weren't they fastest runs, but the run plays generated yardage and a couple of 1st downs. Now that will have to be something opposing defenses have to watch for or at least be aware of. It was nice to see the offense open up. My only negative would be, I hope that both the offense and defense can play to their full potential during the same game.

3 hours ago, D.sheridanjr said:

I think it is impossible to have a top 10 defense nationally and I don't think it's ever been done. One factor could be the way the defense practices against fast pace in practice and more running against a fast-paced offense in practice will make you prone to being less physical as your muscles hypertrophy slightly and I know this sounds of mumbo jumbo but... that's my armchair analysis. I don't think it is possible for us to finish in the top 25 in Total Defense this year. 

Clemson was 10th in total defense and 24th in scoring defense last year and I'd consider them fast paced.  I'd also consider Urban and Ohio State that way and they finished 9th in total defense and 2nd in scoring defense.  I'm not so sure I would even consider us a fast paced offense at this point this year, and surely we weren't last year.  Hopefully our 1's aren't practicing against a fast paced offense in practice unless we are facing a fast paced team in the upcoming game.  Hopefully the scout team is giving them a good look at the next opponent regardless of if they are fast paced or a plodding ball control bunch of hogs.

3 hours ago, D.sheridanjr said:

Auburn hasn't played good defense since tubs and we haven't played great defense since Dye Era. I could be wrong and I am not the stat tiger. My theory is with a fast-paced offense or no huddle... I think it is impossible to have a top 10 defense nationally and I don't think it's ever been done. One factor could be the way the defense practices against fast pace in practice and more running against a fast-paced offense in practice will make you prone to being less physical as your muscles hypertrophy slightly and I know this sounds of mumbo jumbo but... that's my armchair analysis. I don't think it is possible for us to finish in the top 25 in Total Defense this year. But we can offset that with great offense as Gus has shown in the past with good quarterback play and good execution which we haven't had in the last 2 years. But we are playing pretty damn physical on defense so I may be wrong partially... I want to research this theory of mind not being able to have a defense with a fast-paced offense... maybe the Buffalo Bills back in the nineties with their Super Bowl runs had good defense.. the bills were about one of the first teams who ran fast paced all year long

Interesting Screen Name... was BagmanJr taken?

Seriously though... That's been an argument by some for years now.  There may have been something to it at one time, but I'm sure that coaches and their analysts have gone over the info enough to adjust.

Maybe an "insider" has insight as to HOW they now practice...  I suspect the Defense practices as they need to practice in order to optimize their time and needs.

Plus, as @oracle79 posted, I would guess that the scout team will go at whatever pace CKS needs to prepare.

• Like 3

One subject from Saturday's game that probably deserves more discussion is the play of freshmen.

A good piece from AUC with more information about who played and how much.   http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Dozens-of-Auburn-freshmen-get-time-to-shine-in-Week-2-47435720?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=160913_092749_Auburn Tigers&utm_content=Link