Art Briles

AUpreacherman22

Serious Question for guys "in the know":

What is Art Briles' offense that makes him unhireable?

He's no Bobby Petrino, but he was rehired and now has the best team in the country.

Everything I had heard about Briles before he was fired was that he was a great, stand up character guy.  I know the Baylor issues happened on his watch, but was his only fault negligence? or was there more to it than that?

The reason I'm asking obviously, is that he is the best coach available this year.  Is he worth the bad press we will get for hiring him? or not?  I really don't know.  What are your thoughts?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Serious Question for guys "in the know":

What is Art Briles' offense that makes him unhireable?

He's no Bobby Petrino, but he was rehired and now has the best team in the country.

Everything I had heard about Briles before he was fired was that he was a great, stand up character guy.  I know the Baylor issues happened on his watch, but was his only fault negligence? or was there more to it than that?

The reason I'm asking obviously, is that he is the best coach available this year.  Is he worth the bad press we will get for hiring him? or not?  I really don't know.  What are your thoughts?

Art is not a stand up character guy and neither is Petrino.  Auburn has to have a Christian, Family man that teaches our players to be "Auburn Men".   Auburn is not a win at all costs program and they will not sell out their morals just to win games.

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Art is not a stand up character guy and neither is Petrino.  Auburn has to have a Christian, Family man that teaches our players to be "Auburn Men".   Auburn is not a win at all costs program and they will not sell out their morals just to win games.

I am well aware of Petrino's issues and I would not support a Petrino hire in any way whatsoever.  On Briles, I was throwing the question out there because I don't know.  Any reason for suggesting he is not a strong character guy?  Really, because I don't know either way.

6 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I am well aware of Petrino's issues and I would not support a Petrino hire in any way whatsoever.  On Briles, I was throwing the question out there because I don't know.  Any reason for suggesting he is not a strong character guy?  Really, because I don't know either way.

If you don't support a Petrino hire even now, You certainly wouldn't support a Briles hire.

Basically, multiple football players were raping women at Baylor at will, and an investigation commissioned by the University found that some of the allegations made against the players were "investigated"  internally by the football program staff members, while not following proper laws and regulations on how Universities are supposed to handle sexual assault investigations, and sometimes the football program didn't even inform the University itself of allegations made against players. Basically, I don't think it's known 100% what Briles may or may not have known or done, but it's reported that his program was basically 'protecting' players who were being accused of rape and assault. Also the University itself massively mishandled things itself which is why it's President was fired too.

I don't know how much culpability Briles did or didn't have in the whole mess, but Briles has a very, very, very bad national reputation right now and lawsuits are flying all over the place. It would be very bad form for Auburn to even consider going after Briles IMO. Plus, I've heard Briles's son was his OC and son in law was his RB coach. Sounds like a bit of nepotism might could be packaged with the guy too.   

Hire him as a consultant (off the field coach), like Bama did with Shark.

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

I've heard that he will NEVER move out of Texas. Just not gonna do it.

What about some virtual reality type video conferencing? Just sayin. 

ok someone brought up something that makes me want to ask. are we passing on some players AND coaches because we want to have a christian football team? i am not a hater at all..OK?................ but if we are passing some that might not be christian are we shooting ourselves in the foot? i just think we should lead by positive examples, teach postitive examples and hire whomever is good enough to want to play regardless of their beliefs as long as they are classy. i hope i do not get banged too much for this but i stand by what i said.

I'm so sick of hearing people say our head coach has to be an "Auburn man and part of the Auburn family." BULL. I'd take Bobby Petrino or Dabo any time.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm so sick of hearing people say our head coach has to be an "Auburn man and part of the Auburn family." BULL. I'd take Bobby Petrino or Dabo any time.

But neither of those coaches would come, smart on their part.

i heard bobby begged us to take him and we refused. i would be surprised if bobby ever listened to us again. and our mistake with gus is we should have let him coach at arky state a two or three years longer. last night with the look on his face at half i knew then he was in over his head.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

ok someone brought up something that makes me want to ask. are we passing on some players AND coaches because we want to have a christian football team? i am not a hater at all..OK?................ but if we are passing some that might not be christian are we shooting ourselves in the foot? i just think we should lead by positive examples, teach postitive examples and hire whomever is good enough to want to play regardless of their beliefs as long as they are classy. i hope i do not get banged too much for this but i stand by what i said.

i think it's good to pass on dirty coaches. as far as players.. just follow team news during each offseason and u'll see ur answer is no we do not pass on them.

12 hours ago, keesler said:

That must not apply to the basketball team as I'm pretty sure Bruce Pearl is Jewish.  

1 hour ago, AUFlyer99 said:

That must not apply to the basketball team as I'm pretty sure Bruce Pearl is Jewish.  

I think he was being sarcastic.  I hope he was at least.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i heard bobby begged us to take him and we refused. i would be surprised if bobby ever listened to us again. and our mistake with gus is we should have let him coach at arky state a two or three years longer. last night with the look on his face at half i knew then he was in over his head.

He might if we got Jay Jacobs out of the way and hired Scott Etheridge as our AD.

We should hire Bo as the AD. He would make a super AD and would be a huge bonus when it comes to recruiting.  I

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, doc4aday said:

We should hire Bo as the AD. He would make a super AD and would be a huge bonus when it comes to recruiting.  I

The ADs job is to run a hundred million dollar business...not go out kissing butts of arrogant 17 year olds.   These days you mostly need a lawyer or business executive as an AD. 

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The ADs job is to run a hundred million dollar business...not go out kissing butts of arrogant 17 year olds.   These days you mostly need a lawyer or business executive as an AD. 

I would argue that the ADs job is to kiss the butts of arrogant alumni who act like 17 year olds.

To @doc4aday's point, while Bo has proven to have some serious business acumen, he's been mostly disconnected from college athletic departments for long enough that there would be far to much of a learning curve.  Auburn needs someone who can walk in and start doing the job from day one. 

As of right now, my top coaches are Bobby Petrino, Tom Herman, Gary Patterson or maybe Kendal Briles. Oh yeah, Tommy Tuberville to replace Jacobs as AD.

On 9/17/2016 at 11:46 PM, CoffeeTiger said:

If you don't support a Petrino hire even now, You certainly wouldn't support a Briles hire.

Basically, multiple football players were raping women at Baylor at will, and an investigation commissioned by the University found that some of the allegations made against the players were "investigated"  internally by the football program staff members, while not following proper laws and regulations on how Universities are supposed to handle sexual assault investigations, and sometimes the football program didn't even inform the University itself of allegations made against players. Basically, I don't think it's known 100% what Briles may or may not have known or done, but it's reported that his program was basically 'protecting' players who were being accused of rape and assault. Also the University itself massively mishandled things itself which is why it's President was fired too.

I don't know how much culpability Briles did or didn't have in the whole mess, but Briles has a very, very, very bad national reputation right now and lawsuits are flying all over the place. It would be very bad form for Auburn to even consider going after Briles IMO. Plus, I've heard Briles's son was his OC and son in law was his RB coach. Sounds like a bit of nepotism might could be packaged with the guy too.   

Briles has stated that he did not "protect" players.

Ken Starr (former Baylor President and Chancellor) was not fired.  

Kendall Briles (Art Briles' son) was and is the Baylor OC.  

Jeff Lebby (married to Art Briles' daughter Staley) was and is the Baylor RB coach. 

Everything else you "heard" might be dead on.  As for the nepotism comment, check out AU softball coach and current rage Clint Myers.  It was the lure of being able to coach with his two sons (which Arizona State would not allow) that brought him to Auburn.

Archived