Art Briles

AUpreacherman22

On 9/18/2016 at 10:25 AM, auburn4ever said:

I'm so sick of hearing people say our head coach has to be an "Auburn man and part of the Auburn family." BULL. I'd take Bobby Petrino or Dabo any time.

No way would I want Dabo.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/19/2016 at 11:32 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Briles has stated that he did not "protect" players.

Ken Starr (former Baylor President and Chancellor) was not fired.  

Kendall Briles (Art Briles' son) was and is the Baylor OC.  

Jeff Lebby (married to Art Briles' daughter Staley) was and is the Baylor RB coach. 

Everything else you "heard" might be dead on.  As for the nepotism comment, check out AU softball coach and current rage Clint Myers.  It was the lure of being able to coach with his two sons (which Arizona State would not allow) that brought him to Auburn.

Nice post !!!!

On September 18, 2016 at 11:09 AM, AUFlyer99 said:

That must not apply to the basketball team as I'm pretty sure Bruce Pearl is Jewish.  

I love it !! It's not about hiring or recruiting Christians. HIGH CHARACTER works for me and should apply to AU men and women....or ditch the Creed. JMHO

On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 0:21 AM, tiger88 said:

What about some virtual reality type video conferencing? Just sayin. 

They can't even get the microphone volume right in the press conferences.  How are they going to set up a virtual or video conference?  Sarcasm

His players were raping women. No way he can say he knew nothing about it. He even took a transfer who had already been accused of sexual assault without doing his due diligence. Briles is a pretty good coach and probably a better man. IMO he just made some bad decisions in order to win games. You just can't turn your eye to the ills of your players in order to win games. Not in this day and age. It was a big deal, if not he would still be coaching at Baylor.

50 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

His players were raping women. No way he can say he knew nothing about it. He even took a transfer who had already been accused of sexual assault without doing his due diligence. Briles is a pretty good coach and probably a better man. IMO he just made some bad decisions in order to win games. You just can't turn your eye to the ills of your players in order to win games. Not in this day and age. It was a big deal, if not he would still be coaching at Baylor.

you are absolutely clueless about this and your post reinforces it. The amount of wrong here is too much to fix. Do some research.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

you are absolutely clueless about this and your post reinforces it. The amount of wrong here is too much to fix. Do some research.

He was the head coach. No way in hell he walks away with zero accountability for what happened there. We can agree to just disagree on that. 

That's fine, but if you do some research, you will find that AB did right in regards to the allegations.  You are mistaken with your facts and misguided with your assumptions.  

Serious question, when Lashlee takes his talents elsewhere at the end of the season, could we get a Briles as OC and would Gus let him run the offense without pulling a Chizik?

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They don't care BB. They have their opinions formed already. The same type of people that's the reason we can't get a lottery in the state of Alabama. 

9 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

They don't care BB. They have their opinions formed already. The same type of people that's the reason we can't get a lottery in the state of Alabama. 

Well, I predict we don't get him as an OC. If he is clean, but a scapegoat he'll get a HC position. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Thanks...I read it and it does offer another side to all the previous information that was out there. All other info pointed that he did nothing when he knew about it. But it does offer two sides for debate..who should you believe the original info or the info form the articles you posted. Unless I heard it wrong in the ESPN interview did Briles not admit he could have handled things a bit differently than he did?  Sidebar by no means do I have a personal issue with him coaching at AU in any capacity. I think he is a stand up guy that got caught up in a mess of a situation. Regardless he should have the right to work again.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@PoetTiger from people that I have talked to, within the profession that know the situation, they have all said he was the scapegoat to deflect attention away from BU.

And he has been paid handsomely to assume that role.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@PoetTiger from people that I have talked to, within the profession that know the situation, they have all said he was the scapegoat to deflect attention away from BU.

Hmm I'm really not sure if I buy this. Why scapegoat the man who has put the university on the national map? I'm sure they would have loved to have scapegoated their AD, president, etc, while protecting their cash cow, if he really wasn't accountable. 

5 minutes ago, msza said:

Hmm I'm really not sure if I buy this. Why scapegoat the man who has put the university on the national map? I'm sure they would have loved to have scapegoated their AD, president, etc, while protecting their cash cow, if he really wasn't accountable. 

Because if you scapegoat the football team, you can bury the headline which is that the university Title IX department is a mess and the cover-up reached all the way to the top of the administration.  Bury that and fire the football coach and parents who don't do their due diligence won't be worried about sending their daughters to Baylor. Let it be known that the university is corrupt form the head down and your enrollment tanks.  See University of Missouri for an example of what happens to a school when their administration loses control.

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Because if you scapegoat the football team, you can bury the headline which is that the university Title IX department is a mess and the cover-up reached all the way to the top of the administration.  Bury that and fire the football coach and parents who don't do their due diligence won't be worried about sending their daughters to Baylor. Let it be known that the university is corrupt form the head down and your enrollment tanks.  See University of Missouri for an example of what happens to a school when their administration loses control.

Exactly. If they don't use him as a scapegoat, then it's them who's next in line. I don't care how successful he's been as a head coach, if they can put his neck on the chopping block instead of their own, they will every time.

2 hours ago, msza said:

Once that issue made the headlines, football relevance was no longer important at the top of Baylor's food chain.  If you are looking for scapegoats to make of that magnitude look better, your AD and football HC are fantastic low-hanging fruit.

Guest WarEagleSteve
5 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Once that issue made the headlines, football relevance was no longer important at the top of Baylor's food chain.  If you are looking for scapegoats to make of that magnitude look better, your AD and football HC are fantastic low-hanging fruit.

This, essentially. It's a whole lot easier to burn the athletic department to the ground (figuratively speaking) and declare the "self-contained" problem solved than it is to admit you have a systemic administrative problem. Thing is, perception is reality and, as the "face" of the scandal, Briles will likely be radioactive from a PR standpoint until all the facts are out about the investigation. 

Well, I have to say if any program in the market for a HC (LSU) has the least little bit of doubt about Art Briles innocence or of they question his character or morality all they have to do is come to this board to find evidence that he is innocent and was nothing more than a pawn/scapegoat for Baylor.  In fact, as I read the links throughout this board I don't know how a program wouldn't snatch him up and seal a HC deal with him immediately.

Archived