Art Briles

AUpreacherman22

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Well, I have to say if any program in the market for a HC (LSU) has the least little bit of doubt about Art Briles innocence or of they question his character or morality all they have to do is come to this board to find evidence that he is innocent and was nothing more than a pawn/scapegoat for Baylor.  In fact, as I read the links throughout this board I don't know how a program wouldn't snatch him up and seal a HC deal with him immediately.

Maybe...but Baylor hired some independent guy to investigate the situation and the excrement hit the fan when he was done. 

Guess before I hired Briles, I would like to see a bootleg copy of that investigation report.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Maybe...but Baylor hired some independent guy to investigate the situation and the excrement hit the fan when he was done. 

Guess before I hired Briles, I would like to see a bootleg copy of that investigation report.

You and every lawyer within a mile of the case.  Everyone and their brother is suing for the report. And now the former president of Baylor is coming out and saying Briles was hosed.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

You and every lawyer within a mile of the case.  Everyone and their brother is suing for the report. And now the former president of Baylor is coming out and saying Briles was hosed.

I

I am sure about that but considering that Starr got pushed out also , he might not be totally objective on the matter . It is kind of hard to believe victims and yet conlude that nobody in the chain of command in the athletic department had any responsibility ... Or failed to live up to their responsibilities. I am just thinking that Baylor would not have written a big check to those guys for no reason at all. 

12 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Yea... VERY interesting. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/baylor-university-sexual-assault-scandal-title-ix-coordinator-patty-crawford-resigns/

Not much about football, but definitely accusations about the University doing everything they can to "protect the brand".  The biggest thing was the end where it was noted that 60 Minutes Sports is developing a report. I imagine A LOT will come out in that.

On 9/17/2016 at 10:09 PM, keesler said:

Art is not a stand up character guy and neither is Petrino.  Auburn has to have a Christian, Family man that teaches our players to be "Auburn Men".   Auburn is not a win at all costs program and they will not sell out their morals just to win games.

You forgot The Creed. Every Auburn coach has to be able to recite the Creed at the drop of a hat. 

6 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

You forgot The Creed. Every Auburn coach has to be able to recite the Creed at the drop of a hat. 

They don't have to be able to recite it....but it's not a bad goal to have coaches who can live it.....JMO

• 2 months later...

19 rape allegations in roughly less than two years best i cna remember and the head coach did not decide to look for himself? art might be a great guy but say what you want he and others did drop the ball. and was baylor one of the schools where on of the girls took her life? that could be tennessee. i am asking for the record..

There are a LOT of HC jobs open and available right now.  I haven't seen Art Briles at the top of many lists thus far, I wonder why?  

If he is/was the scapegoat and Baylor paid him handsomely to take the fall, then why didn't Texas, Houston, Oregon, LSU, Temple, LSU go after him?  They all need an offensive guru badly and that's exactly what Art brings to the table.  

Some of UAT assist coaches has off the field issues lie Shark and Kiffin, but they Kiffin has turned UAT's offense around and made them very powerful. think Auburn needs to get off their high horse and only want coaches who's never messed up in life. We need someone like Art Biles or Kendal Briles or Bobby Petrino to turn our offense around into something powerful.

41 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

19 rape allegations in roughly less than two years best i cna remember and the head coach did not decide to look for himself? art might be a great guy but say what you want he and others did drop the ball. and was baylor one of the schools where on of the girls took her life? that could be tennessee. i am asking for the record..

Hindsight is 20/20. The one thing I can guarantee you is true in this story is that Briles did not consciously decide that winning was more important than the well being of those girls. It's surprising how, when you are running something, that things can be happening that you are unaware of... especially when there is ineptitude in the leadership that you are following.

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

There are a LOT of HC jobs open and available right now.  I haven't seen Art Briles at the top of many lists thus far, I wonder why?  

If he is/was the scapegoat and Baylor paid him handsomely to take the fall, then why didn't Texas, Houston, Oregon, LSU, Temple, LSU go after him?  They all need an offensive guru badly and that's exactly what Art brings to the table.  

No one is going to go after Art until everything is settled. You can give him the benefit of the doubt, but you still have to cover your own butt. Hiring a coach who is embroiled in lawsuits with his previous employer would be more like painting a target on your butt.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hindsight is 20/20. The one thing I can guarantee you is true in this story is that Briles did not consciously decide that winning was more important than the well being of those girls. It's surprising how, when you are running something, that things can be happening that you are unaware of... especially when there is ineptitude in the leadership that you are following.

good point but he is responsible for his people. but my point which some missed or maybe i stated wrong was the perception of those that would have a field day at auburns expense. if art is found to be not guiltyin a court then it is hard to spread lies about us tho some will run with it anyway. how many years has cam been gone and every single time something comes up it is the same ol mess. read the comments i posted and maybe you will see what i mean.............

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton on all the rumors going around about the reason he was suspended for the first series of Sunday's game:

quote:
"I violated the wardrobe, and that's it. You don't have to dig into certain stories that violated curfew, was out at a club, somebody was calling the room. I still stand by coach Rivera's decision, and that's just a warning for everybody. At no point in time – or even still – do I think I'm above the law. I never thought that. I'm not that type of player.'

Stealing a laptop and thinking it's ok and throwing it out the window thinking no one would find out. Then accepting at least $200k from a booster to attend Auburn.

And he's never thought he's been above the law?

Color me surprised.

ead stupid rumors. look at what i copied and pasted from some fellow on another site today.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

look at what i copied and pasted from some fellow on another site today.

Haters are going to hate. They can't accept the concept that anyone outside of their fandom can have success without finding some way to put them down. You could bet that if it came out, tomorrow, that Daniel Carlson once took a cookie without asking, certain fan bases would have stories about him being accused of burglary by the end of the day.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:45 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

Serious Question for guys "in the know":

What is Art Briles' offenIse that makes him unhireable?

He's no Bobby Petrino, but he was rehired and now has the best team in the country.

Everything I had heard about Briles before he was fired was that he was a great, stand up character guy.  I know the Baylor issues happened on his watch, but was his only fault negligence? or was there more to it than that?

The reason I'm asking obviously, is that he is the best coach available this year.  Is he worth the bad press we will get for hiring him? or not?  I really don't know.  What are your thoughts?

I know there is a lot of hate for Coach Briles. and I am willing to give the benefit of doubt for coach Briles.  If you look at his life history, he went through some very hard times when his folks were killed in a wreck while traveling to see Art play a college football game. I can only imagine what he went through when he searched the stands for his folks where they usually sat for his games. He led a very upstanding life and was a super coach no doubt.

• 1 month later...

Just looking back at the comments/posts in this thread, do folks STILL believe Art Briles handled things the right way?    That he is a man of integrity and high character?

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Just looking back at the comments/posts in this thread, do folks STILL believe Art Briles handled things the right way?    That he is a man of integrity and high character?

Still up in the air about handling things because I don't know the whole story.  Lost a lot of respect for him and now hold him in similar regard to other coaches who put winning above integrity... definitely not high character. Sad day for football as they officially lose another potential light in the dark pit that is coaching integrity. Gus may be jinxed since all of his friends are being outed.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I posted about giving him the benefit of doubt. I can say without a doubt that I am ng. After reading a post that pretty much did him in, I am now 110% certain that he is not a good person and fooled folks like me throughout his time at Baylor.

It is time for a Briles movement and clean out the sewage he left behind.

Everyone should get a second chance. I think Auburn and all their "wishdom" will regret not hiring Art Briles. Someone will hire Art and he will turn that program into a powhouse that can't be stopped.

On 12/9/2016 at 1:28 PM, auburn4ever said:

Some of UAT assist coaches has off the field issues lie Shark and Kiffin, but they Kiffin has turned UAT's offense around and made them very powerful. think Auburn needs to get off their high horse and only want coaches who's never messed up in life.  Even you have to be able to figure out that what happened at Baylor under Briles is a hell of a lot more than "messing up in life".  It's a CRIME.  It's not cheating on a test in middle school.   We need someone like Art Biles or Kendal Briles or Bobby Petrino to turn our offense around into something powerful. ABSOLUTELY NOT.  We do not in any way, shape or form "need" any of those people to have success at Auburn.  It's completely foolish to think such a thing. We are ranked #13 ALL TIME in wins.  We have been and will continue to be successful without sacrificing our integrity to do so.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Everyone should get a second chance. I think Auburn and all their "wishdom" will regret not hiring Art Briles. Someone will hire Art and he will turn that program into a powhouse that can't be stopped.

Someone may in fact hire him one day, but turning whatever program he goes to into a power house is definitely not a given.  In fact, the numbers show it's not at all likely.   In 13 years of coaching, 8 of those have been 8 wins or less.  Even at Baylor as good as they got to be they still never could win the big games.  Houston 34-28.  Baylor 65-37.   That's a career winning percentage of barely over 60%.  Can he make a program good, absolutely, Powerhouse? NO.

12 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Briles may get a second chance but it certainly doesn't have to be st Auburn.  The man is toxic at the moment and I'd really prefer that Auburn not become known as a rehab college because many times rehab isn't successful.   While I'm not opposed to an occasional rehab project, Gus has his hands full at the moment and he doesn't need any distractions. 

9 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Someone may in fact hire him one day, but turning whatever program he goes to into a power house is definitely not a given.  In fact, the numbers show it's not at all likely.   In 13 years of coaching, 8 of those have been 8 wins or less.  Even at Baylor as good as they got to be they still never could win the big games.  Houston 34-28.  Baylor 65-37.   That's a career winning percentage of barely over 60%.  Can he make a program good, absolutely, Powerhouse? NO.

As per his record...the guy is greatly over-rated if a person looks at his entire career.   Built his rep on a few good years when he had some great offensive players.....and maybe it is not a coincidence that his coaching success was best when he and Baylor apparently dropped all moral standards related to their football program and the players they brought to the campus. 

Can he win at an honest program that won't tolerate the things he seemed to find acceptable at Baylor?  I'm doubtful ...but then again.... as we have noted at a couple schools lately, the administrations are willing to turn their heads the other way to some shameful actions by their athletic departments.

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The man didn't alter players grades or try to cover up a shoplifting case.  Him and his staff were running a program that was pimping out  girls out for the sake of football, and covering up rapes. He doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a college campus. I am proud to know that Auburn had the decency to stay away from him.   

60% at Houston and Baylor is unbelievable. If he were at LSU, UTx, or Miami where they have talent fall in their laps, he would be in the playoffs every year. To discount his coaching is ridiculous.  Think what you want about him personally, but his coaching is tremendous.

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

60% at Houston and Baylor is unbelievable. If he were at LSU, UTx, or Miami where they have talent fall in their laps, he would be in the playoffs every year.  To discount his coaching is ridiculous.  Think what you want about him personally, but his coaching is tremendous.

I disagree.  His coaching is ok but far from tremendous.  Until he lands at a place that enforces some moral code and doesn't sacrifice integrity and everything else to win games (like they seemingly did at Baylor), he's an average coach at best.  The entire package matters.   I'm willing to revisit this if he ever gets a chance at another power 5 school once he's been there a few years, but until then, he's just an average coach.  

Archived