***Auburn 16 Texas A&M 29 -- Post Game Thread***

RunInRed

6 hours ago, War Eagle 2 said:

I don't know what Gus is thinking by using White but if he really knew what was up he would use Woody Barrett as our starter and Franklin as our back up. Barrett had several teams that wanted him like Miami and Ohio and Bama. You don't sit talent like that. He's 6'2 238lbs a 4 star quarterback. USE HIM

I have been on  this board since 2009, and what you are saying makes the best sense so far in this thread.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, War Eagle 2 said:

I don't know what Gus is thinking by using White but if he really knew what was up he would use Woody Barrett as our starter and Franklin as our back up. Barrett had several teams that wanted him like Miami and Ohio and Bama. You don't sit talent like that. He's 6'2 238lbs a 4 star quarterback. USE HIM

I have no idea what Barrett's level of readiness is, but I suspect he does not know the bad playbook as well as White does.

16 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I have no idea what Barrett's level of readiness is, but I suspect he does not know the bad playbook as well as White does.

You guys are assuming we have a playbook. ?

4 hours ago, Strychnine said:

From what I heard Barrett is no where near ready to start. He was late to qualify and arrive and when he got here he was apparently looking lost. 

That really shouldn't be a surprise though. He was always going to be a longer term project. 

If you guys really want change, JF3 is our best chance right now. 

I still think our problem is weak  tackles and center. Maybe golston out of position. Play calling is going to be bad when you can't block it. However that still falls on Gus. I think Sean is ok. JF looked great. I just wonder how long he could keep looking great but I am anxious to see. Play calling will not be easy with DC working with the enemy. 

I didn't read the thread, but I pretty sure this hasn't been said and I think it needs to be, considering all that was said prior to the game, but kudos to the Texas A&M team for a clean game.  They played solid football and there wasn't a cheap shot to be seen (except maybe their running back getting poked in the eye which better have been an accident). Even though it was a sad and ugly loss, I was happy to see a clean, hard fought game. Maybe Sumlin has learned something from this past off-season. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:28 AM, tbone4jc said:

Stop it with Sean only missing on 1 pass already. 

He missed quite a few passes in the game. Then he could have had 2 picks, 1 of those could have been a pick6. Re-watch the game. To me, he looked scared . 

I was not intending to say he only missed 1 pass. I was intending to say he missed one BADLY. One in which he was not pressured, WR wide open, etc. Yes, he "missed" on a couple of others but most of the misses had help from outside influences like pressure, hands in throwing lanes, etc. but he could have played a little better. I also saw that there were 2 drops that kept him from being 75% completion rate even with his misses.  I saw that he could have thrown 2 INTs.  But I believe MUCH of that goes back to the play calling. 90% of the fans knew what play was coming so of course the DB was going to jump the route eventually. Mixed play calling early in the game had positive results; ultra-predictable play calling resulted in the hair-pulling out frustration in the stands during the latter stages.

JF3 came in and provided a spark but they adjusted.  He did complete a couple of passes which could help open up plays for him in the future (if they'll call them).  I think the problem is he is small and the coaches don't trust him to hold up or hold the ball through the beating he will take as he earns more PT and runs the read option. I know he won't if we trim the playbook to 3-4 plays like we have in the games against our tougher opponents.

Neither QB will have sustained success without less predictable play calling and tailoring of the offense to their skill set. I believe either can lead the offense if that happens.

Rewatched the game a third time. SW looked solid he missed a few and there were some third down drops that hit receivers hands. He seemed coached to release the ball quick no matter what, meaning he hit a lot of short passes and didn't go deep. I believe that was the gameplan. 

The wrs look a bit small and I'd like to see some bigger body receivers in there. Taller will help with the deep shots as well as blocking which is needed in our offense.

I think Gus has a very Basic (hs level) passing scheme and with a better scheme and coaching our qbs would be successful throwing. Just thinking out loud on this. Gus really needs that elite athlete to cover up his coaching flaws. (Easier to throw when the defenders are selling out to stop the run.)

I don't understand the love for Kiffen. He would be another Chizik hire. Great coordinator who's PROVEN to be a suspect HC. We need someone who has had sustained success at a big program. We are freaking Auburn one of only a handful of schools who have won a national title during high schooler's conscious lifespan. Prospects still (hopefully) see us as a program where you can win championships and we need to approach our hypothetical coaching search accordingly.

Archived