Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Texas A&M....

JMR

That play action Statue of Liberty pass is what Gus is replacing his always call a hb dive on first down philosophy with. if it's 3rd 9 or more, I can tell you what Gus' play call will be and be right 90% of the time

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, metafour said:

Things I Think I Saw: A dead man walking.

To give you credit (and I disagreed with you at the time) you had problems with Gus even after 2013.

wde

Edited by AUIH1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the points of view.  You've called out Dampeer now every week.  I'm interested hear what Cubelic has to say about him this week, as he's been praising him as a strength thus far.

Last night was Gus's worst nightmare.  Sean White had an off night and it killed the offense.  JF3 came in but it became pretty clear that auburn was running 9/10 of the time.  The LSU game becomes a must win.  TaMu dominated Auburn offensively and defensively last night.  Sean is still only a sophmore and Auburn's best option to have a complete offense.  I say stick with him and he'll get better every game. He will win Auburn more games than he loses.

• Like 2

I agree completely with the fact that SW doesn't fit Gus's offense but last night had much more to do with idiotic play calling than SW. Hard to get in a rhythm when you know the defense knows exactly what's coming. Here's another thought...why in the world is it acceptable that JF3 doesn't know the playbook (there 's only 5-6 plays at most) He's been on campus for what, 8+ months, correct? Our coaching staff is just adding fuel to a raging dumpster fire that JJ began when he gave CGM an extension. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Last night was Gus's worst nightmare.  Sean White had an off night and it killed the offense.  JF3 came in but it became pretty clear that auburn was running 9/10 of the time.  The LSU game becomes a must win.  TaMu dominated Auburn offensively and defensively last night.  Sean is still only a sophmore and Auburn's best option to have a complete offense.  I say stick with him and he'll get better every game. He will win Auburn more games than he loses.

Our offense's worst nightmare IS Gus.  SW did not kill the O.  Gus did.  

wde

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

To give you credit (and I disagreed with you at the time) you had problems with Gus even after 2013.

wde

While his delivery can be brutal, he rarely ends up being wrong.

• Like 1

Fair analysis, Auburn's offense is probably very easy for opponents to prepare for. I imagine the opposing coaches watching Auburn film saying "I cant believe they are doing that"

or "wow".

JMR I think I saw what you think you saw. First time in a long time I didn't watch a game all the way to the end, win or lose and I've been watching and listening since 1961( first recollection). The play calling begins to look like the keystone cops at the first sign of stress.

• RunInRed pinned and featured this topic
3 hours ago, JMR said:
  • Safety Stephen Roberts had a poor game, missing several tackles which resulted in big plays for the A&M offense.

You sure this wasn't supposed to say Tray Matthews? He whiffed on 2 open field tackles. One resulting in a HUGE play.

20 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You sure this wasn't supposed to say Tray Matthews? He whiffed on 2 open field tackles. One resulting in a HUGE play.

There were an enormous amount of missed tackles. Tray and Stephen had horrible games, but they weren't alone in the tackling department.

12 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

There were an enormous amount of missed tackles. Tray and Stephen had horrible games, but they weren't alone in the tackling department.

I know. But both of Matthew's total whiffs in the open field come to mind more than any. Especially the 2nd one. He will be on both those guys highlight reels for life. Just like he is in Ricardo Lewis'.

Many bizarre "observations" (lots of not sure why they did this but in hindsight I wouldn't have) but how did you (apparently) miss Franklin running out of bounds untouched and then clearly being shocked it was forth down? Brilliant. 

3 hours ago, doug3020 said:

Here's another thought...why in the world is it acceptable that JF3 doesn't know the playbook (there 's only 5-6 plays at most) He's been on campus for what, 8+ months, correct? Our coaching staff is just adding fuel to a raging dumpster fire that JJ began when he gave CGM an extension. 

My thoughts exactly. Gus pretty much wasted all preseason practice by dragging out a 3 way QB comp.  It should be clear that neither SW or JJ are SEC caliber QBs.  Why not put all the time into prepping JF3 or even Barrett?  Banner & uga seemed to be able to get a TFR QB ready to play.

i am going to have to watch the game again. i did drink about 11-12 beers but i didn't see some of the same things i am seeing ranted about here. I swore the game was starting at 5 instead of 6. i worked till 2:45 had to change a tire and start grilling very rushed and drank about five before kickoff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard78 said:

I keep seeing references to our D being gassed. I'm sure they were from chasing Knight, but facts are that we ran 12 more plays than TAMU and led time of possession.

But most of AU time of possession was standing and looking at sidelines pre-snap. TAMU time of possession had more running after snap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aucater said:

JMR I think I saw what you think you saw. First time in a long time I didn't watch a game all the way to the end, win or lose and I've been watching and listening since 1961( first recollection). The play calling begins to look like the keystone cops at the first sign of stress.

Yep.  I believe Gus is overwhelmed and when he says "we need to get better", the "we" is actually the royal "we."  He's hoping he can work his way out of this mess.  I think that's where much of his control freakishness is rooted - insecurity.  I just don't see him pulling himself together under current circumstances at AU.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, doug3020 said:

I agree completely with the fact that SW doesn't fit Gus's offense but last night had much more to do with idiotic play calling than SW. Hard to get in a rhythm when you know the defense knows exactly what's coming. Here's another thought...why in the world is it acceptable that JF3 doesn't know the playbook (there 's only 5-6 plays at most) He's been on campus for what, 8+ months, correct? Our coaching staff is just adding fuel to a raging dumpster fire that JJ began when he gave CGM an extension. 

This! I've been wondering this ever since it was mentioned that he didn't pick it all up by now. This is just part of the development problem that is afflicting this offensive staff. How do you bring a guy in that you're expecting to compete for the starting job and let him go through winter workouts, Spring camp, summer workouts, and Fall camp, and not know the whole offense??? Not sure Gus can use the "it's a complicated offense" excuse considering how JV and repetitive the play calling is. This is unacceptable. In the same way that putting Sean out there and not tailoring the offense to fit his skill set, especially when it became obvious that he was going to be the starter and not Franklin. White is far from perfect but he'd look a lot better in an offense that more resembles what we ran in 2009. 

• Like 2