Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs Texas A&M....

JMR

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Yep.  I believe Gus is overwhelmed and when he says "we need to get better", the "we" is actually the royal "we."  He's hoping he can work his way out of this mess.  I think that's where much of his control freakishness is rooted - insecurity.  I just don't see him pulling himself together under current circumstances at AU.

Show me a head coach and I'll show you a control freak. It's a necessary part of the job. A bigger control freak than Pat Dye has never walked the planet.

• Like 1

Things I think I saw...Jekyll and Mr. Hyde offense. After a game of racking up 700+ yards, what seemed to be a step forward in reality, was a stumble and two steps backwards. 

Okay, counting on another show of explosive offense against LSU because it's the way it should be, right? 

Edited by AUDynasty

20 hours ago, JMR said:

Going into the game against A&M’s pair of outstanding rush ends Myles Garrett and Daeshon Hall, many AU fans wondered how Auburn would try to deal with them. I don’t think anyone expected an opening play of the game where Auburn actually asked the backside guard to pull and block Garrett on a play-action pass. Alone. And that was exactly the call. The guard, of course, couldn’t get there, and Garrett started the game with an 8-yard sack of Sean White. As if that were not enough, the AU offense ran the same play ten minutes later, with the same result. Both those plays were on first down, and both killed Auburn drives.

Cole Cubelic has an interesting take ...

23 hours ago, Charhair said:

That play action Statue of Liberty pass is what Gus is replacing his always call a hb dive on first down philosophy with. if it's 3rd 9 or more, I can tell you what Gus' play call will be and be right 90% of the time

My daughter was calling the plays midway through the 1st qtr. I have been defending Gus for a while even though I'm not a fan of his. I don't care if he runs the table, I'm tired of seeing the same 5 plays. 

I had to watch another game afterwards to get variety on the play calls.

Rant over...

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Nice try by Cubelic but it doesn't fly. You go flat when you're trying to hook him on a running play but this was play action pass (which he mentions, but glosses over). Braden was angling back all the way but it's just not physically possible to get there.  And I might buy that they saw Garrett squeeze and not rush hard on film, but the main question is why would you do it again after seeing him blow up your QB the first time?  It's just bad coaching and scheming no matter how much lipstick you try to put on it. 

Until Lashlee gets away from the novelty plays and actually develops a college level game plan based on the strengths of the team, and not his desire to be on youtube, the offense will continue to look like lost sheep.  On the play where JFlll overthrew the receiver it looked like the receiver didn't think he was part of the play. He nonchalantly slowed his route and looked back down the field like he checking to see if the play was over.  I don't think he knew what play they were running.  It looked to me like, if he had continued at speed on a post route, the ball would have been right to him.

• Like 1

Our best option the rest of the year is to run the ball down the throat and pop a few passes with a deep ball every now and then. All this eye candy is useless with what we have.

7 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I don't think I agree with his logic (or the coaches if they share it). 

A player that fast and that good is going straight for the "handoff" if he's left unblocked from the very beginning. Not giving a guard enough time to get back there, we cannot expect any of our offensive line men's lateral speed to be better than MG's straight line speed. 

1 hour ago, hugkevin1 said:

Until Lashlee gets away from the novelty plays and actually develops a college level game plan based on the strengths of the team, and not his desire to be on youtube, the offense will continue to look like lost sheep.  On the play where JFlll overthrew the receiver it looked like the receiver didn't think he was part of the play. He nonchalantly slowed his route and looked back down the field like he checking to see if the play was over.  I don't think he knew what play they were running.  It looked to me like, if he had continued at speed on a post route, the ball would have been right to him.

RL has very little to do with the play calling this is Gus game plan

Auburn’s use of the fake statue-of-liberty play on third and long continues. You aren’t fooling anyone with play-action on third and 23, and the play requires the quarterback to turn his back to the coverage, so he can’t see what’s going on. Someone told me once, “If you’re running play-action passes on third and long, you need to take a hard look at your passing game

Can someone please ask him that? At the radio show or something.

We can not win by being so predictable or giving our players a half a deck to play with.

This play drives me up the wall

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:00 AM, RunInRed said:

Cole is partly right except this was a pass play. However, it was a new strategy for A&M and it was the first play so I can forgive that one but they did this exact rush strategy by both ends repeatedly and we never adjusted...remember the 0-line coach is not on the sideline. Gus said 'we need to adjust quicker'...the post game presser is a little late. We need to put our best run blockers in the game on o-line and quit trying to position players by body type...Mike Horton should be playing(sorry Robert Leff) and I'm not sure Darius James shouldn't be used more in our heavy package.